• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro 2.5M Raven Build

Wacobipe

100cc
Today while taking a day off work I was able to get the aileron control horns in place. They are G10 and there are no slots at all in the ailerons so it is totally up to you to get alignment and place them correctly. I'm changing the design slightly as I want the servos to be mounted on their sides and hidden by a hatch so you only see the servo arm coming out of the wing and not the entire servo top....more to come on that once I get the parts delivered to support that.

Aileron control horns.JPG

Wacobipe

100cc
And finally today I did a lot of filling and sanding on stabs. The elevator servos mount sideways in the root end of the horizontal stabs. For some reason, the slots for the servo arms were neither correctly or even aligned with thew servo mount. So I have to drastically open the slots (which looked like crap). Once I got eh servo arm location opened enough I decided to back-fill the extra space so I have a nice tidy elevator control horn slot in the stabs....a lot of work but well worth it to me!

Relocated Elevator servo arm slots.JPG

Wacobipe

100cc
And while I was waiting for the body filler to dry on the stabs I assembled my newly arrived servo tray...made by Secraft. It is awesome (so was the price tag)!!! It will free my servo from any pulling pressure caused by the pull-pull rudder cables however, so I think it is money well spent.

Secraft Rudder Tray (1).JPG

Wacobipe

100cc
Hi All...Some advice please!

I hate the look of servos hanging out of the wing (and also the geometry of the linkage), so I want to turn my aileron servos on their side and then cover them. I've also never built a foam cor wing before. Take a look at the photos attached...I made some mounts as pictured. There is nothing to mount this to except the balsa sheet which is the top of the wing, and the surrounding foam. Since it is foam, I think the best plan is to glue this into the wing with Gorilla Glue since it is similar to the foam and I think that it will make a better bond than Hysol. I could also build sides to make it more like a typical servo box which would add more glue surface area.

Do y'all think that this is a good plan...and will be a rigid and secure enough mount? Or do I need to take an alternate approach?

Wing Servo Mount (2).JPG Wing Servo Mount (3).JPG Wing Servo Mount (1).JPG

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
There are laser cut plywood wing servo mounts out there.

On my Carf they are attached with wood blocks glued to a fiberglass hatch which is nice and clean.
attachment-2.jpeg

Jlc

70cc twin V2
Hi All...Some advice please!

I hate the look of servos hanging out of the wing (and also the geometry of the linkage), so I want to turn my aileron servos on their side and then cover them. I've also never built a foam cor wing before. Take a look at the photos attached...I made some mounts as pictured. There is nothing to mount this to except the balsa sheet which is the top of the wing, and the surrounding foam. Since it is foam, I think the best plan is to glue this into the wing with Gorilla Glue since it is similar to the foam and I think that it will make a better bond than Hysol. I could also build sides to make it more like a typical servo box which would add more glue surface area.

Do y'all think that this is a good plan...and will be a rigid and secure enough mount? Or do I need to take an alternate approach?

View attachment 46164 View attachment 46162 View attachment 46163
I agree with the GG in that application over Hysol but I'd be nervous about the surface area being adequate and the strength of the sheeting to hold it but I guess it might work since it's glassed on the other side. Will be a much nicer look when finished.

Wacobipe

100cc
After more thought and discussion at the flying field today (58 and sunny :dancing-chicken:) I will build a complete box around this plate to maximize surface area for Gorilla Glue to adhere to.

Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Jlc
If your box is glued to both the top and bottom sheeting, it should be golden. I too prefer my servos mounted this way. Had a Krill that mounted the servos like jetpainter showed in the carf. The servo actually mounted to the cover plate, worked out very well.