• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ther DLA 128 is a very nice motor. With any 4 banger, just make sure to duct the cowl and possibly install vents.
Mine is swinging a 30x10 because the 29/10 mejzlik just wasn't enough prop.
I am cutting my firewall back 1" to get perfect alignment for my spinner and should be great on balance.
As soon as I move to my new place(divorce on going) I will get this done and put up some pictures.
I am so glad I posted this thread. Thank you all for your input. I see a 128 four cylinder in my future. :banana-dance:

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Dude....that is so hurtful. I'm.....I...I, I'm at a loss for words. But alas, the truth hurts huh? LOL

Hey @stangflyer ,

I'm sure you know the saying "If the shoe fits, wear it", but don't feel bad. The last time I told my brother he was driving me crazy, he told me "I should call the Guinness's Book of World Records for taking the world's shortest road trip"..................:lol2:

Now I need to get :focus:. Aren't you a little concerned about the weight of a 4 cylinder on a 100cc airframe? Do you think you can put enough servo's in the tail to counter balance the extra weight of the engine?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey @stangflyer ,

I'm sure you know the saying "If the shoe fits, wear it", but don't feel bad. The last time I told my brother he was driving me crazy, he told me "I should call the Guinness's Book of World Records for taking the world's shortest road trip"..................:lol2:

Now I need to get :focus:. Aren't you a little concerned about the weight of a 4 cylinder on a 100cc airframe? Do you think you can put enough servo's in the tail to counter balance the extra weight of the engine?
That I am not sure of yet. But I'm hoping I can make it work. My PAU 300 has four servos in the rear and with the 111 up front, I still needed to move my rx. packs back about 12". I'm hoping which ever air frame the 128 goes in, I can make it balance good. Plus, I will be using stock exhaust so I'm fairly certain it will balance alright. Now I just need an airframe. Lol

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
For those that are interested and have some curiousities on the DLA Engines. I spoke with Lee out in California this afternoon and without going into the great detail that he did, I will give you all the condensed version.

DLA, like some others did have a few issues with a few runs of their engine line. Many of the twin problems was traced back to a bad die on the machining equipment. Since that was addressed, there have been no other failed motors. Short of end user error that is. He did in fact mention precisely what has mentioned here in this thread regarding the ring "snagging" the cylinder and ruining the motor. He also mentioned the few crankshaft issues that also have been resolved. Of the failed motors, Those motors were, (according to him) replaced on the spot. Now as for the newer generation motors, (as well as the earlier versions) it was DLA's mission to build as good of quality r/c motors as the 3w and DA brands. That is what they are striving for as they proceed. In fact, the cases are no longer machined from 6061 T6 aluminum. They are now CNC machined with 7075 T6. All using genuine German FAG bearings and top quality rings. The Pistons have even been addressed. In short, every phase of each motor line has been closely scrutinized and monitored. DLA feels they really have things moving in the right direction. It was also mentioned that DLA is the prime choice of engines in Germany. Now that is odd. Since 3W comes from Germany. However, because they (DLA) are economically priced, many are selecting them just for that reason. So now we come down to the last and ultimate deciding factor. At least for me. I was informed that everyone of the motors now carries a 3 year warranty. With that being said, I was informed that if for "ANY" reason I am not pleased with any of the motors, I am welcomed to return it...and a complete and 100% refund would be given. That in itself is enough to convince me to give that 128cc four cylinder a work out.

Judge

70cc twin V2
I've got a little over a gallon through the DLA-58 on my AW Extra 300. Swapped the 22x10 that was on it for a 23x10, which I like a lot better. Idle is good and reliable and it pulls the little beast along right spritely. Not much can be asked for out of an engine. So far, so good. BTW - Lee is a great guy. I spent some time at his place last week. Good guy, and he's been in business for 20 years!! So while he may be new on the scene with DLA, he has been around for a long time and understands that customer service is King!! He had LOADS of spare parts, etc. So he is ready to take care of the market. He also had a nice test stand set up to run engines on that are back for repair, etc. Very impressive overall.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've got a little over a gallon through the DLA-58 on my AW Extra 300. Swapped the 22x10 that was on it for a 23x10, which I like a lot better. Idle is good and reliable and it pulls the little beast along right spritely. Not much can be asked for out of an engine. So far, so good. BTW - Lee is a great guy. I spent some time at his place last week. Good guy, and he's been in business for 20 years!! So while he may be new on the scene with DLA, he has been around for a long time and understands that customer service is King!! He had LOADS of spare parts, etc. So he is ready to take care of the market. He also had a nice test stand set up to run engines on that are back for repair, etc. Very impressive overall.
I am so glad to hear this. I also spoke to Lee last week. My impression of him was just as you say. I am really excited to get the 128cc four banger. I'm still in a toss up on an airframe though. Hopefully I will have it figured out by the time the motor arrives.

Last edited:

Judge

70cc twin V2
Honestly I have no idea. I have never been big on measuring RPM on the ground. I go by how a prop feels and performs in the air.

With the 22x10 the plane was fast when level with speed a bit hard to accurately control. Uplines were would start OK and then bleed off quickly. With the 23x10 the level speed is a bit slower and easier to control and uplines have a more consistent and stronger pull. Downlines are better too. The bigger prop controls downline speed a bit better.

FWIW I am not a 3D kind of guy. I tend more towards precision aerobatic type of flying.