• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Wow, this is not good news for me. @Kevin-Young is your friends 128 the angle plug version? If so, I wonder if the dummy plugs in the top of the cylinders are tight and not leaking? I highly doubt you'd overlook that aspect. That being said, mine arrived today. Will get a look at it shortly and post some pictures too.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have to say, I truly am impressed. The crankcase on the 128 is done very nicely. Each cylinder exceeds my expectations and surpasses what I've seen with the quality of even the DLE brand motors. Very clean with no burrs or blemishes. As for overall assembly, it appears everything fits together very nicely with no disappointments in my opinion. Though it is easy to tell the motor is new, as it is very "snug" feeling when the crank is rotated, it is also very smooth and rotates freely with zero restrictions. Robust and way above what I was expecting for the rear mounting plate...it looks strong enough to support a big 170. My plan is to get it mounted on a test stand and do a couple of real short start and runs. The paperwork included with motor indicates tests were preformed with a 29x10 prop. turning it at 6480 rpm. For initial start and run, I plan to use a Falcon 28x10 and see how it goes. If all goes well, I will eventually try the Falcon 29x9w. I'd like to keep static rpm under 6500. One of the "little" things that spoke volumes to me is the quality steel prop bolts that were included. I've not even seen this attention to detail in even higher end motors. I'm hoping it is an indicator of the overall quality of the entire motor.

So there we have it. Yes, looks can be deceiving as @Kevin-Young and his friend found out. I'm hoping, (though it sucks profusely) they just got a weak motor. We've all seen that in most every motor brand. 3W, DA and DLE included. If all goes well with this venture, who knows? May look very seriously at DLA's 232 four cylinder big brother.

I can't help myself. I love motors, especially ones that are like the little train that said "I know I can"!

A couple of quick photos. I will post a video of the first start up...start to finish just as soon as I get it mounted on a test stand. If for no other reason, I want to see if this lil guy really "can"!

20150608_180102.jpg
20150608_180037.jpg
20150608_180023.jpg

Last edited:

Judge

70cc twin V2
I guess I wonder what the advantage of a 4-cylinder 128 cc motor is supposed to be. Smoother operation? Certainly less power per pound of motor, or is that wrong??

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I guess I wonder what the advantage of a 4-cylinder 128 cc motor is supposed to be. Smoother operation? Certainly less power per pound of motor, or is that wrong??
As for smoother operation, that is a definitive. Singles shake, twins shake less, quads hardly shake at all. That is one upside. As for power per pound of motor? All perspective. I would not say less power, but certainly more "GRUNT". Another upside. As for the overall advantage? They just look and sound oh so cool. Is it worth it? Again, depends on perspective. I suppose for hardcore all out mean and vicious 3D flying, twins are awesome. But that doesn't mean you can't toss a plane around that has a four banger. Just ask @SupaTim

I will probably never be as good as Tim or others for that matter. It's all about having fun right?

Last edited:

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Wow, this is not good news for me. @Kevin-Young is your friends 128 the angle plug version? If so, I wonder if the dummy plugs in the top of the cylinders are tight and not leaking? I highly doubt you'd overlook that aspect. That being said, mine arrived today. Will get a look at it shortly and post some pictures too.

When I find out more information I will certainly let you know. When I looked over the engine it was pretty cool, the only thing I would say about the first impressions before flying it was the mufflers are crap! We actually saw a hairline crack in them before ever doing anything.

I did take all the dimensions down so we can make 2n1 mufflers for it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
When I find out more information I will certainly let you know. When I looked over the engine it was pretty cool, the only thing I would say about the first impressions before flying it was the mufflers are crap! We actually saw a hairline crack in them before ever doing anything.

I did take all the dimensions down so we can make 2n1 mufflers for it.

Agree, I bought a little 64 NIP on RCU super cheap a while back for a small scale project. Mufflers are thin, tinny and IMHO the down tubes were way too small to let the engine breath very well (same as EME's stock muffs). They were shiny so they get the A+ for bling factor I guess. I have not run the 64 yet because my project got pushed out till next Winter.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
I will be really interested to see how much compression it feels like it has when you put a prop on it and go to start it. To me that was a sign that something might be off on the one I flew.

And just to be clear I am not trying to bash the engine, just share my experiences so far. Also, take it for what it is worth because it is not my engine and I only looked it over before it was in the plane and then flew it a couple times. For his sake I am hoping that something was not seated properly or something like that and it was a fluke.

I was going to try and upload a video of the first time starting it but for some reason it will not upload.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will be really interested to see how much compression it feels like it has when you put a prop on it and go to start it. To me that was a sign that something might be off on the one I flew.

And just to be clear I am not trying to bash the engine, just share my experiences so far. Also, take it for what it is worth because it is not my engine and I only looked it over before it was in the plane and then flew it a couple times. For his sake I am hoping that something was not seated properly or something like that and it was a fluke.

I was going to try and upload a video of the first time starting it but for some reason it will not upload.
It's awesome that everyone is so willing to offer real world experience. That's basically what my motivation is. How else do we all gather info. Short of doing everything ourselves. Hope your friends was just a weird one.
I'm thinking a nice four banger would be great on the front of a Pitts challenger!! maybe with two into one headers and some medium pro-flows:yesss:
I think a couple of two's into one's would be awesome.