• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
It's awesome that everyone is so willing to offer real world experience. That's basically what my motivation is. How else do we all gather info. Short of doing everything ourselves. Hope your friends was just a weird one.

I think a couple of two's into one's would be awesome.

We are probably going to do a 2n1 standard type muffler setup on his when he gets it back because we found with testing the DA-200 that having one single outlet pipe like the stock 2n1 mufflers actually restricts a lot and you can loose a couple hundred rpm.

Ultimately I don't think I would recommend the engine for an aerobatic airplane but it could be good for something with a short coupled nose, like our 1/3 scale taylorcraft.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Thought I would drop in and give a little update on this motor. I will be flying with friends and my son @Shayne Epley this Saturday, however plan to get the 128 mounted and test fired on Sunday sometime. I am going to do two sets of two test runs. First I will be starting and running it as it came out of the box. Second set of test runs will be done with Bowman rings installed. I will be sure to upload a couple of videos for everyone to view and compare. Really looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
I think the bowman rings are probably not a bad idea.

My dad did talk to our friend that bought the 128 I flew and it appears that the crank twisted. They are going to replace the engine for him but unfortunately they are out of stock so he will be down for a little bit. From the conversation it does sound like we was very happy with golden skies service and how they kept him up to date on everything.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Why the need to install bowman rings?
I've had super success with the Bowman rings in my other motors. 3W does not need them. In the DLE's, I've seen a very noticeable improvement in compression. Which equates to a smoother running, more powerful, more dependable running motor. To date, I've not had one dead stick or foul running motor. Maybe just lucky. With the Chinese motors, (don't know if the DLA is this way) but experience has been, the Bowman rings have proven themselves to me. Lee from Golden Skies even endorses them. Great guy and awesome service.
I'd be curious to see what ring gap is with stock rings.
Once I remove the stock rings, I'll get a measurement for ya @Terryscustom.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've noticed in my last dle111 and my last two dle120's that they built compression more quickly than in dozens of engines purchased in years past. I have not switched those to bowman. Before that it was SOP with a new dle? EME gaps were horrid and I have not measured my DA yet so curious......

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Great thread. Hope to read more here soon.
So I spent this weekend flying, (like that's a bad thing??) and didn't get the 128 mounted for testing as hoped. No worries though, as my airframe should arrive today or tomorrow. I will just mount it to that to do some test runs.

After watching @Shayne Epley toss his big PAU across the sky with that bad ass 222... I'm getting really fired up having a four banger to wail on. Pretty sure it will be sporting lots of smoke as I bring her around on some cool high alpha harrier's. :banana-dance:

Will post video of engine testing soon.