• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF 48" Laser EXP

njswede

150cc
The laser flew great for me. I'm just moving up larger honestly. I also sold my 48" MXS because I bought the 64", and I sold my 48" Edge to get the 60". So... I also sold the laser to help pay for a larger gasser project. The smallest plane i have right now is a 51" Slick.
I do have a motor/esc ready to go when the Pantera comes out, as I plan for that to be my only 48".

Well, with a wife, 5-year-old twins and a set of in-laws to house and feed, the big gasser projects will have to wait in my case. For where I am in my learning process, the Sabre X is a perfect 3D trainer for me. But... It's a bit slow and doesn't do the really crazy stuff. You have to have some crazy stuff in your life, so the Laser might be for me... :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, with a wife, 5-year-old twins and a set of in-laws to house and feed, the big gasser projects will have to wait in my case. For where I am in my learning process, the Sabre X is a perfect 3D trainer for me. But... It's a bit slow and doesn't do the really crazy stuff. You have to have some crazy stuff in your life, so the Laser might be for me... :)

Go for it! It's a great plane, and I really love the cowl and canopy desgins... one of a kind!

njswede

150cc
Just as I read that, I opened my mail and there was a $250 pre-loaded gift debit card from Verizon in one of the envelopes (not entirely sure why, but I don't care). If that's not God trying to tell me something, I don't know what is... :)

SnowDog

Just as I read that, I opened my mail and there was a $250 pre-loaded gift debit card from Verizon in one of the envelopes (not entirely sure why, but I don't care). If that's not God trying to tell me something, I don't know what is... :)

Buy! Buy! Buy! :)

gyro

GSN Contributor

Shoot, you've almost got enough to cover their power combo too!

njswede

150cc
Shoot, you've almost got enough to cover their power combo too!

The only thing I don't like about the power combo is that it's just a 45A ESC. It's just enough for the Torque, but too small if I ever want to upgrade to something more powerful.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
NJ,

That's great, you will just love the Laser. So do you have the hardware spec sorted out?

Steve

njswede

150cc
NJ,

That's great, you will just love the Laser. So do you have the hardware spec sorted out?
Steve

It's getting there... I'm looking at the FirePower 30 from HeadsUp, which is the little sister of the FirePower 46 I believe you have. It's got the same stubby design, weighs only 147 grams (4 grams more than the recommended Torque) and is rated for 630W. For servos, I'm either going for HS65MGs all around, or the TGY2216 I already have sitting here (supposedly rebrands of Savox 0255). I've used them in my HK Slick and they've been flawless and very strong. I'm leaning towards the Hitecs, though.

For ESC, I'm thinking ZTW 50A. ZTW is getting a lot of love on the forums currently, and Altitude Hobbies that carries them are active on this site, so I know who to go after if it doesn't work out.

RX will probably be either an AR600 or AR6115e.

As for decals, I'm going for 3DRCForums.com! :)

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
If it were me i'd probably give the Turnigy servos a shot, they have more torque and have the advantage of being digital when compared to the HS-65MG's, most of all you already have them!... If buying new then the genuine Savox SH-0257 and/or SH-0255 would be my choice over the Hitecs (I own both of these servos )

The Firepower looks like a nice motor but I see a couple of potential issues.. First the cross mount looks like it may be larger diameter than the holes in the Laser mounting plate, and there is no room to re-drill and I don't think you would get the screws in if you went with a smaller cross mount (I could be wrong on this but it looks that way). Second 1000kv is a bit high if you are running 4s, it would mean a 10" prop which is not ideal for 3D. On 3s power would be a bit weak.

The Motrolfly DM 2820 750kv is great but not cheap. If looking for something at a lower price point then the Turnigy SK3 3542 800kv might be a good choice with a 13" prop: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SK3_3542_800kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html
Sunnysky motors get good reviews but the one for the laser is currently sold out: http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=187