• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GiantScaleNews.com’s 2015 “Group Therapy” Tour Coming Soon!

This thread compels me to share a bit of my story. I'm relatively new to the sport, less than two years. When I first joined my local club and attended my first club meeting only 3 people came up to me after the meeting to introduce themselves and offer to help me and answer any questions. Two of those members, @tylerzx9r and @N-O-V8-R introduced themselves and invited me to come fly with them that weekend. At no time have they ever made me feel silly for only flying foamies or tell me I had to fly a certain way. In fact, they have encouraged me to progress at my own learning pace and buy what I can afford. They have always answered every question without making me feel like I'm asking a stupid question. Since that time, we have developed a great friendship and I enjoy hanging out with them on and off the field. There's no doubt that if I had not met them and they brought me along I would have left this hobby shortly after I begun.

I purchased my first gasser (used) this Jan and both helped me with a few minor repairs and setting up on my radio. I could not have done it without their help. Now all that's left is waiting for a nice day to maiden.

I attended the Cornhuckfest last year for a portion of one day as a spectator and what stood out to me was how nice everyone was to me and how well everyone got along. There was all types of flying and all enjoyed. This year I'll be flying and I really hope I can meet some of the great folks on this site at the event.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I just wanted to reenforce what @SleepyC and @Bartman are trying to preserve with the "Group Therapy" tour. It really is what makes this sport so much fun...

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Can't wait to meet you at Cornhuck @SteelHusker! If not before, I have a trailer load of goodies to maiden and we'll likely come down so Jake can test fly a couple of my new birds.

In some ways you and I had similar experiences with the crew down there, when I went to my first huckfest down there in 2011 all I had was a couple of 20cc planes and one 50cc that (for our field) was huge at the time. When I pulled up and saw all the stuff down there I thought I should just leave my trailer closed......but we were encouraged to and finally felt comfortable flying. It's because of those experiences and attending larger events like Joe Nall that I got confidence to expend on all aspects of the hobby. I'm sure @ericb can attest because I think he had the deer in the headlights look as well in 2011 and has also come a long ways because of influences from great clubs and great people:cheers:

Last edited: