• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

GWS P-38 Build Log and Review

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Minor snag in servo setup last night. The stud on piece that goes on the servo is definitely sized more for a standard servo horn, not a smaller servo. So I pulled out a spare horn and did some testing with drilling out the hole, which I've done in the past, but wanted to check strength of the horn. Then this got me looking at the control surface horn and size of the pushrods. At least for the ailerons, the pushrods are significantly larger than the holes in the control horns, so I'll have to do some careful drilling. I've used this style of push rod holder in the past, currently in use on the throttle for my .40 nitro fun fly plane, so I'm confident in their ability to perform when properly installed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Enlarged aileron servo holes and attached aileron pushrods last night. Before securing I want to test travel clearance with the servo. Waiting for an old 1800mAh NiCd pack to charge as it doesn't hold charge for longer than a week now. Why not use my lipo and ESC you ask? Well, on a recent episode of TheCrashCast they were talking about safety things and they mentioned ESCes are designed around a minimum airflow, approx. 5mph for Castle Creations they stated, and without this airflow you run the risk of overheating the ESC. Many of them mentioned how doing bench tests with their electronics and just sitting on the bench they saw the magic puff of smoke. So, in order not to risk my ESCes, I'm using an old NiCd pack to test aileron and elevator controls and setups.

attachment.php

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Worked on aileron throws last night, servos not secure yet. Manual calls for +/- 30* travel on the ailerons. First time working with degrees instead of measurements. So I pulled out my old middle and high school protractor, drew lines for angles on a piece of paper, and started using this. I had to move to the inside most hole on the control horn on the aileron. This gives me about 30* up travel and around 20-25* down travel. I'm not confident the control horn on the servo can take drilling of a hole beside the one I drilled out, so I'll see what options I have. If nothing else, this may be what I get.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Drilled new servo arms with the very last hole enlarged. Achieving 30* deflection each way. Secured the servos, ESCes, and wires to an extent, as well as glued on the super charger covers after Loc-tite'ing the boom screws. The default channel is not large enough for all wires, so I enlarged it some. I also sat the elevator servo in place, going to have to cut more foam to allow movement, and potentially more of the canopy. Doing so, I couldn't resist sitting the canopy on and grabbing some teaser pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
She became airworthy yesterday afternoon. Very little wiggle room for the cg, but with in spec. Two things bothered me though: some EZ connector screws were working loose and push rods were sliding, and something didn't look right/feel right with the supercharger covers.

Today I filed flat spots in the pushrods area the EZ connector touches and put loc-tite on the EZ connector screws. I then pulled out the silver Testors paint and put some highlights on the supercharger covers. Today was able to get a bit more consistent and stable cg.

I found some instructions for DIY clear stickers using packing tape and a laser printer. So had my wife help pick out the front and text layout for the Bose at and will give it a try tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Here she is! Maiden will be a while as I now have to paint baby #2's room before I can fly. Told my wife as soon as I'm doing building the P-38 I'll work on his (another boy) room.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

gyro

GSN Contributor
Congrats on completing the build, the plane looks great!

And congrats on the addition as well!

SnowDog

The finished product looks great...the extra touches you added along the way certainly made this a really nice airframe.

Looking forward to seeing the maiden flight video!