• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

GWS P-38 Build Log and Review

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Congrats on completing the build, the plane looks great!

And congrats on the addition as well!

The finished product looks great...the extra touches you added along the way certainly made this a really nice airframe.

Looking forward to seeing the maiden flight video!

Thanks guys. I know I kind of just went off into my own little world there towards the end of the build. Since I hand painted everything I feel it's not as great looking as others' GWS builds (Steve Mills' FW190 for example). But I learned a lot with foam on this build. I also reached a point where I threw the manual out the window except for recommended throws and general recommendations. The manual needs improving in one big area: clearer pictures. All pictures are a white background with white foam and clear plastic. Makes it insanely hard to figure things out sometimes.

The build was fairly straight forward, however I would NOT recommend this kit as first kit for anyone without building experience (ARF building not included in my opinion) or someone that doesn't have a seasoned veteran builder helping them. The order of somethings didn't make logical sense to me, some very small but big details are left out (aka drilling control horn holes out). Once I can sit down and formalize the plus and minuses of the build I'll do a more full write up.

With the uniqueness of the twin motors, P-38 airframe, and a chance to see their photos on GWS US' website, I have several friends lining up to be there for the maiden and taking pictures/video.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
I'll be darned, the clear stickers instructions worked like a charm! I don't have the link to the page on instructables.com (hopefully I spelled that right). So here are the steps:
Tools:
  • laser printer
  • clear packing tape
  • spoon
  • scissors
  • bowl of water
  • your finger

Steps:
  1. Print desired design/pattern on regular paper using the laser printer. Do not exceed width of your tape. I recommend darkening the color some as my yellow came out more translucent in the end than anticipated
  2. Lay tape over printed design
  3. Use spoon to rub tape flat
  4. Cut the pattern out, leaving over hang for application
  5. Soak cut paper in bowl of water for a few minutes
  6. Using the flat of your finger (flesh, not nails. As my test pattern I used nails and scraped some of the toner off), rub off the wet paper. Helps to keep finger wet. This will leave the toner on the tape.
  7. Let design dry. Will be sticky again when dry

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
The maiden has to be postpone until probably middle of next month. :-( Gotta put in extra hours at work this month to hit the deadline.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Maidened her today. As she is now: GWS BL2208 1050kv motors and GWD 8x4.3 props she is a lazy Sunday flyer. 30° deflection on controls was too much. Fortunately that was at position 3 on the switches on my DX8 so I dropped them to position 2. She stalls scale like, beautiful stall, just not exciting. Can't bank and yank as it'll tip stall, and just like the P-38 in Real Flight G5.5, she'll run out of elevator. I did an unscheduled belly landing on maiden due to this. Just had to tape one of the fin's bottom back on.
Can't hold full up in a loop, she'll roll out at the point. I call it an egg roll. Aileron rolls look odd. She required 0 trim. The front of the canopy stuck up too much, didn't do it at home, so I had to tape it down for each flight.

I think I'll look at data for other props as I'd like her to be more of a fighter and not a grandma's car. Leaning towards 10x6 props based on GWS BL2208 tables published by them.

[video=vimeo;93129958]http://vimeo.com/93129958[/video]

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Congrats on the maiden! Looks really nice...be interesting to see what props you end up with...the video should be fun to watch as well. :)

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Congrats on the maiden! Looks really nice...be interesting to see what props you end up with...the video should be fun to watch as well. :)

Thanks. I edited the post so the video is now embedded. I'm looking at the 10x6 props as that is commonly seen on the interwebs with the same setup I have. According to the data sheet GWS/Caliber Hobby has posted these are fine with this setup.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
GWS US thoroughly liked my review. I sent them a PDF version yesterday. Sitting in my inbox was an email full of gratitude and to show their gratitude they want to send me a kit of any GWS airplane of my choosing, no strings attached. Of course I'll still do a build log and review write up. Now I'm torn trying to decide my next adventure.

Attachments

• GWS38BuildandReview.pdf
    351.5 KB · Views: 412