• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

Mix yourself a little D elevator/low throttle mix in. That way, she doesn't balloon on you on final.

When I get my new fuse, while I have nothing in it, I'm gonna reinforce the gear plate to start with. A little 6oz cloth and finishing resin front and rear should suffice it. Of course, scuff the snot out of the fiberglass too. :)

I tend to burp the power just before it drops down on all 3's, just on the MX2, everything else is fine.

reyn3545

100cc
I had a landing on a windy day a few weeks ago that left a little to be desired.. and it also left one of my wheel pants shredded. I decided that I had nothing to lose, so I'd try to repair it. I didn't take any "before" shots, but you've seen them before... split down the middle on the seam, and up the inside side of the pant, right behind the landing gear. Basically, the left pant was in 3 pieces.

So... a little Hysol to hold things together, then some West Systems Epoxy and glass to give it some support, then a lot of sanding, priming, more sanding, paint, scuffing and then a few coats of clear.

When I was done, the repaired pant looked pretty good, but it was a few shades lighter than the other pant.. so I sanded and painted, then cleared the right hand side.

After a little cure time in the wife's oven, it was back to the basement for some buffing.

Here's a picture of the finished product. They are a lot closer to the color of the plane than they look under this light. I've thought about shooting clear on the plane also, but it would be a nightmare to buff out all the orange peel properly on the flexible fuse sides, and it's heavy. I may do it anyway, we'll see.

pants2.jpg

reyn3545

100cc
Nice Mike! :) Killer job, dude!

The inside of the pant was the most damaged, but it turned out pretty well too. I wish CARF would take the time to clear these planes before they ship them, it REALLY makes a difference in the finish. I did the wheel pant painting with an airbrush... not the best tool for the job, but I didn't want to clean out my spray gun so many times for such a small job. The paint goes on a lot drier with the airbrush, and especially with metallic finishes, you want it to flow a little wetter. On the positive side, it's almost impossible to get a run, even in the clear coat. Not so with the big gun, but it will lay down the clear very quickly.

There's no wax on these pants yet.. when I do that, they will really pop.

reyn3545

100cc
Shite.... Then you may be looking at February. With a new baby you have plenty to keep you busy, but I know you want to get the plane going again.