• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I was sitting here at my desk, working my little fingers to the bone and struggling through a typical Monday. That was until about 11:00 when our secretary walked into my office and gave me a little white box from the USPS. In the box was my main wheels and tail wheel assembly from White Rose. I mean to tell you, my mood changed instantly ! ! ! ! Those freaking things are awesome. . . . :yesss: Then after I opened the box, my mood was tempered a little bit. Some Dumb A__ who shall remain nameless forgot to order the tiller arm assembly for the tail wheel. I knew I needed it because the plane was already built and the rudder wasn't wide enough for the bracket with the springs. So I called Verne and it is on the way. Anyway, the first thing I will do tomorrow night after I look for my camera cable is slap those bad boys on my Laser and that will be one thing out of the way.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I will agree. I think 168 is good for a plane in the 30cc or so class. Probably not bigger than that. Thing that baffles me on servo selection is I've seen so many not take into consideration torque loss with the longer arms to get the throws we strife for. So technically a 168 ounce servo is not delivering 168 ounces...unless you're using a 1" arm. But who does that?

If you have a 1:1 ratio you will get whatever the servo is rated for. Meaning if the distance from hinge line to hole on control horn matches length of servo arm then torque of the servo will be the torque applied to the surface. At least that's the way I understand it :). Of course the angle of the push rod with relation to the control horn/servo arms at deflection slightly subtracts from that which is why you want a slight offset at zero degrees so that the pushrods is perpendicular to hinge line at full deflection. Not to detract from the thread but you could setup a mechanical advantage of having shorter servo arm with a longer control horn and get by at the cost of throw.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @jhelber08,

You're post is very informative to me. It's not detracting from the thread at all. I'm trying to learn all of the ways to skin a cat, do to speak. I'm what I like to refer to as an equal opportunity learner. Meaning I try to learn what I can from anyone who has more experience than myself. When it comes to giant scale airplane setups, most every member on this website qualifies to offer advice . . . .:yesss:

Well fella's, I've got some good news and I have some bad news. The good news is I found my camera cable, so depending on what time I wake up and go to work in the morning, I may have enough time to download some of my pics and post them. If I don't wake up in time, I'm going to have to wait until I get home tomorrow evening. The bad news is not REALLY bad news, but I was talking to a flying Buddy of mine this evening and we were discussing how do I get to the servos and batteries out of the fuel tank compartment in the Laser. He looked at me and said "it's easy, all you have to do is take the cowl off". Now you want to see someone that feels like a complete idiot, that's me. . . . . :face-palm:. We did talk for quite a while and carefully looked over the plane and did find some minor damage. It appears that the trailing edge of the right horizontal stab broke at one of the hinges. Besides a couple of places on the bottom of the fuse where the monocote was torn, that was all the damage we found.

Later Fella's

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I just looked at the pictures of my Laser I took Sunday and I realized I didn't lower the resolution on my camera enough so the files are all too large in size to upload here. I'll have to go home and download a program to resize them and load them at home. I used to have a program on my old laptop that did it so I'll have to find one again.

Oh yeah, who remembers the new website for what used to be Fiberglass Specialties? I need to order a new cowl and a set of wheel pants for my Laser.

Thanks

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Well,

I just looked at the pictures of my Laser I took Sunday and I realized I didn't lower the resolution on my camera enough so the files are all too large in size to upload here. I'll have to go home and download a program to resize them and load them at home. I used to have a program on my old laptop that did it so I'll have to find one again.

Oh yeah, who remembers the new website for what used to be Fiberglass Specialties? I need to order a new cowl and a set of wheel pants for my Laser.

Thanks
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I am having absolutely no luck uploading my Laser pictures. The pics are in my computer but the file sizes are too large to upload. I went to RCSB and found the link to the photo sizing software I had on my old laptop, but when I tried to download it to my new laptop, Windows Defender will not let me do it because Defender thinks the program is a virus. . . . . . Aren't computers grand ? ? ? ? ?:rolleyes: As soon as I can get this figured out, I will post some pics.

BalsaDust

Well,

I am having absolutely no luck uploading my Laser pictures. The pics are in my computer but the file sizes are too large to upload. I went to RCSB and found the link to the photo sizing software I had on my old laptop, but when I tried to download it to my new laptop, Windows Defender will not let me do it because Defender thinks the program is a virus. . . . . . Aren't computers grand ? ? ? ? ?:rolleyes: As soon as I can get this figured out, I will post some pics.

open the photos in Microsoft paint. You can resize them there as well.