• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

@cbarnes0061 , You are the man ! ! ! ! !
IMG_1826.JPG

Here is a decent profile pic of (to quote Rob) "My Baby". Thanks to @Bartman for his blessing, me and @Decal Dennis are working on a couple of surprises for this Bad Boy.
IMG_1829.JPG

As you can see, it's not the most colorful plane, but that's OK with me. I'm a subdued kind of person anyway. . . . . :rolleyes:
IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

The man who sold me the plane said this is the only weight he had to add to balance the plane. If you look carefully, you can see the two nickel metal batteries that are going to come out in favor of a pair of Lion or LiFe packs.
IMG_1837.JPG

One thing is fore sure, when I'm done, you won't see this mess 0f wires in this shot. Moving the batteries back will help clean this up nicely.
IMG_1836.JPG

If you look closely at the lower right hand corner of the picture above, you will see where the wing is not tight up against the fuse. This is the biggest problem I have found with the plane. The wing dowel is not quite lined up properly with the hole in the fuse. I think some VERY careful filing on the back side of the hole will eliminate the stress on the dowel and allow the wing to fit much better. Can anyone think of a reason I could not do this? With two 10-32 bolts holding each wing half on, I cannot think of any reason why not.

Oh yeah, Those of you who are not half asleep reading this by now saw where I said something about moving the batteries back. Well, there is a very good reason for this. I have changed my mind one LAST time. I am going to put my 3W70 twin inside that huge cowl. It will help fill the void inside the front, if nothing else.

I have a few more pictures, but even after I cropped them down as much as I could, the file sizes are still too large. I'll get some more pictures this weekend.

BalsaDust

Looks good bud. If it still comes out tail heavy you could always move the rudder servos into the fuse and setup a pull pull system.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You are absolutely correct except the lines are all going in the opposite direction. Funny thing is, the man I bought the plane from gave me a gray Monocote trim sheet. He said he was going to use it to put the stripes on the Horizontal stab like those on the wing, but he never got around to it. I'm not going to do it either, I have other plans for trim on the stabs.

Stay tuned

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Today was a great day. I went to the LHS after work and asked the owner about sending a couple of servo's I just bought back to Futaba and exchange them for some with more torque. He said he would make it happen for me. . . . . :dancing-chicken: Of course I told him I would pay for all shipping costs and restocking fees. So my aileron servos are going from 167 oz./in each, to almost 300 oz./in each. The best news is that even though the stronger ones are slower by 0.04 sec/60 degrees, they are the same price. Besides, I seriously doubt my slow fingers will ever know the difference.

I was just looking at the picture of the bottom of Kelly's Extra a couple of posts up, and it reminded me how glad I am I found someone who is kind enough to paint a new fiberglass cowl for my Laser. As you can see on mine, the cowl on it is pretty chopped up. The same person also convinced me to order some fiberglass wheel pants for it too and said he would paint them for me. I am truly blessed to have good friends . . . . . :yesss:

Well fellas, I'm beat, so I'm going to hit the sack.

Good night

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It is great to have RC buddies share their talents David. Looking forward to your completion and seeing the 3Dub 70 on it.