• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Restoring The Laser

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I'm done with the Laser for today and I'm a little disappointed. I took the spinner, prop, cowl & motor off and the firewall and it looks like a hunk of Swiss cheese. . . . . :concern: I will get some pictures tomorrow, but I may end up having to replace the firewall. It is certainly doable, it's just that I was not expecting to have to do it.:ugh!:

On a better note, I went and picked up a new (to me) transmitter this afternoon. I got a good deal on a 14MZ. I wanted one BAD when they first came out, but I didn't have the money, so I bought the 12Z instead. The transmitter just came back from Futaba where they put a new LCD screen in it, gave it the once over and gave it a clean bill of health. It is the helicopter version, but I really don't think it make any difference. The first transmitter I ever had was a Futaba 6XHS which is where I learned what the "H" meant. . .:) Also, since I'm used to programming my 12Z, the 14MZ isn't going to be that difficult to get used to. Hopefully, the wind won't be blowing 25 knots tomorrow so I can program one of my foamies into the new radio so I can see how I really like it.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just an FYI......Glue a hard plywood plate about 3/16" thick to the back of existing firewall. Horizontally stand the firewall so you can fill the holes with epoxy. Then glue another hardwood plate 1/8" thick to the front and you got a strong new clean slate to work with. You could plug the holes with dowels too instead of glue only.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Kelly,

I really appreciate the advise on firewall repair, but I wish it was that easy. I'm afraid I didn't explain the extent of my issue very well. In addition to the dozen holes in the firewall, there is a hole large enough to drive a Mack truck through. . . . .:eek: I'm actually surprised I didn't see it allot sooner. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker but at least I would have been prepared for what I have to fix.

Hey there @combat chicken, welcome to the party. Where's your sidekick @ChickenBalls? Haven't seen you Guys around much lately. I think I read where you've been under the weather. I hope your doing better. My apologies if I got you two confused, I have been known to do that from time to time. . . . . :laughing:

More tomorrow, with pictures

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Kelly,

I really appreciate the advise on firewall repair, but I wish it was that easy. I'm afraid I didn't explain the extent of my issue very well. In addition to the dozen holes in the firewall, there is a hole large enough to drive a Mack truck through. . . . .:eek: I'm actually surprised I didn't see it allot sooner. It wouldn't have been a deal breaker but at least I would have been prepared for what I have to fix.

Hey there @combat chicken, welcome to the party. Where's your sidekick @ChickenBalls? Haven't seen you Guys around much lately. I think I read where you've been under the weather. I hope your doing better. My apologies if I got you two confused, I have been known to do that from time to time. . . . . :laughing:

It kind of sounds as though your best option is just cut that old "HOLY"...um I mean holie....ummm.....oh crap, you know what I mean.....firewall out and slap in a new undrilled plate. It's not so hard to epoxy dowels in a firewall to change over to a different motor mounting arrangement than what was there. But when you are dealing with what you are, a fresh slate is usually the best answer. I bought a really cool set of saw blades that go in my dremel just like a skill saw. They come in a variety of sizes. It sure makes it incredibly easy to slide down between the motor box sides and the firewall plate to cut it free. CAUTION: Keep your fingers, hands and everything else well protected. If one of those babies slips, you'll be replacing more than a firewall.

Hey Kelly,

Hey Dave. Yep been busy the past couple of months so had little time to get on here much less fly any. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get out for a couple of hours. @ChickenBalls has been feeling under the weather but I think he is on the mend. Hope to see him tomorrow at the field.
Love that Laser. Had a Seagul Models Laser years ago with an STG2800 on it. Was the cub yellow with blue strips and stars version. When I could get the huge "boat anchor":eek: of an engine running good the Laser was a pleasure to fly. Was my first 1/4 scale bird and wish I had it today. A DlE 30 would really make it shine! If I run across another one I'm going to grab it up!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob

I know exactly which little saw blades you're referring to. I have some for my Dremel tool too. Do you think pinning a new fire wall in with dowels will be sufficient with a twin hanging on it?

Dog gone it @combat chicken, I knew I was going to get you two mixed up, my bad. This little smiley" :confused??:" should start every post I type . . . . . :lol2: I know all about being busy. I can count the times I've flown this summer and fall on one hand.

I remember the Seagull Laser. It flew well, but I couldn't get past the Bass ackwards color scheme. I never was a fan of those big Supertigre engines either. None of them ran worth 2 cents unless you put an OS 7D carburetor on it.

I'm outta here fellas, for some reason I'm tired tonight . . :bigyawn:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Do you think pinning a new fire wall in with dowels will be sufficient with a twin hanging on it?
I honestly feel you would be just fine with doweling the firewall. A lot of guys do it and have no problems. I have used dowels in the past with no issues. Just be sure the dowels are hardwood and epoxied in. For a little extra security that won't add any weight so to speak of, you can also epoxy tri-stock on the inside of the motor box/firewall joint.

On larger planes with larger and heavier twins/quads, I myself would not risk anything with anything less than aluminum angle braces screwed both to the motor box sides and firewall. But that is just my opinion.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well,

I forgot to get pictures AGAIN. It was such a beautiful day today, I just went to the flying field and enjoyed myself, even though I didn't fly anything. I did look over the fire wall some later this afternoon and it's going to be a little tricky getting the old one off, but it has to be done so I might as well take the advice of the old Nike add and "Just Do it". . . . . . :yesss:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well,

I forgot to get pictures AGAIN. It was such a beautiful day today, I just went to the flying field and enjoyed myself, even though I didn't fly anything. I did look over the fire wall some later this afternoon and it's going to be a little tricky getting the old one off, but it has to be done so I might as well take the advice of the old Nike add and "Just Do it". . . . . . :yesss:

do it.jpg