• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tail Wheel Steering, Springs vs Fuel Tubing or other setups

reyn3545

100cc
Good points, Vern... and thanks for getting my main gear and axles shipped out so quickly! 

I'm not crazy about the chains I have right now, trying to find something with smaller single links instead of the doubles on this chain... seems like the chain has to be a little bit short or a little bit long, so for now, I chose long.  The rudder does deflect enough that it does turn the tailwheel, but not nearly as much as a direct drive setup would.  I've just knocked holes in the bottom of composite rudders so often (breaking out the ball link that I've glued in) that I wanted to try something a little different. 

Composite anything is a blessing and a curse. All the strength is in the skin. If you cannot get hold of it in two directions you are in trouble. If you are installing the guide pin for the tiller arm (direct drive system)  I always recommend finding a 1/2" to 3/4" dowel and move it toward the back of the rudder until it looks like it will just slide between the two sides. This is where you want to glue it into the rudder. Get glue on both sides of the rubber skin and it will stay until you knock the tail off the airplane.  Now, install the rod end ball link I supply into the hole you should have drilled into the dowel before gluing it into the rudder :^ )

reyn3545

100cc
Sounds like a good plan.

I've always inserted a section of threaded rod into the ball link, then make a 90 degree bend in the rod just after it comes out of the link.  I drill a hole in the bottom of the rudder for the rod, but prior to inserting the rod, I shoot a good bit of 9462 epoxy into the hole, then insert the rod and seat it into the wet epoxy.  The weak point is always at the edge of the epoxy.

I think a wood dowel, glued into place, might a better answer... I'll keep that in mind if the springs don't work out well.

Springs work very well, the bottom line is getting the plane accurately and safely to and from the staging area. If you are doing that how the tail wheel steering is accomplished is irrelevant.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Springs work very well, the bottom line is getting the plane accurately and safely to and from the staging area. If you are doing that how the tail wheel steering is accomplished is irrelevant.
Vern, I have to say thanks. The White Rose CF tail gear is beautiful and those springs are the ****. Bet this big ole' girl handles the ground steering like no body's business now.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
20141228_180539.jpg
20141228_180621.jpg