• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The stick bangers thread

+1000!!!!!!!!! I taught myself to fly two years before I ever joined a club or really saw anybody else fly in person, and never used expo on anything and never used rates on anything. When I started in 3D I added a little expo because the planes got more capable but I still rarely use dual rates. I set up rates just because I buddy box lots of people on my planes but that's the only time I use them. I got second place last year in IMAC with a plane set up for 3D and I flew high rates the entire time.

You just have to find the correct mix that works for you and don't be afraid of the plane, especially if you have the ponies on the nose to get you out of trouble.

@49dimes what I did when I was struggling with rollers was this:
Set the ailerons on their own dual rate switch and practice rollers with low rate ailerons (since they are pegged anyway) and high stabs and rudder. Eventually I just kinda started being able to fluctuate the aileron stick without thinking about it. Also, if you are like our friend @aarestor that looks like he's getting lost with his rudder you can also do rollers with no rudder input.....just get used to moving one stick at the right time first. They don't look that great but it is good training. Then you'll also find out that it takes VERY little rudder to clean up your rollers.

Last thing I learned with rollers is too pick a direction to push your stick with a little more emphasis to steer them. For me its down elevator (forward sick) and I push when I see the belly of the plane coming in order to steer the plane straight or around corners and loops. This is how I started anyway.
What he said find what you like and the crap out of it. I do not like it because when I started fly way back when their was no DR or expo on tx.

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
And just when you think your getting good at rollers , switch direction and try:dancing-poop:
That's when you feel like you've accomplished nothing because you have to about learn it all over again! Like Terry said I started with just rudder inputs and then I would practice with just elevator input. Then when I got them both somewhat figured out I started throwing the two together.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
That's when you feel like you've accomplished nothing because you have to about learn it all over again! Like Terry said I started with just rudder inputs and then I would practice with just elevator input. Then when I got them both somewhat figured out I started throwing the two together.

Me too. I can do a rolling loop with just elevator but not consistently. Got to burn the gas. I also find that If I don't "think" in to it as much and "just do it" from repetition It seems to come a little easier and better.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Me too. I can do a rolling loop with just elevator but not consistently. Got to burn the gas. I also find that If I don't "think" in to it as much and "just do it" from repetition It seems to come a little easier and better.
Thinking while your flying does get in the way now and then. :mad:

I realized just how much when I was learning to fly a heli with my T-Rex 550e last year. On my fourth day out I decided to do my first nose in hovering. Now I did that all the time on the sim with ease, but with the real thing I was nervous and keep going over the corrections in my mind before I did it. When I spun the nose around I about crashed. I tried several times on that flight, and the results weren't much better. After that flight I was sitting there getting madder and madder :msn_slap: and decided I'm really over thinking this. I got up, put a in fresh battery, took off, spun the nose around and it just sat there hovering nice and steady, plus I could move it around anywhere I wanted without even thinking. Once I got the conscious mind out of the way and let the subconscious and muscle memory take over I was fine. :banana-dance:I've found that helps my airplane flying quite a bit as well.

crashflow

70cc twin V2
Just the other day I was doing pop tops and a buddy came over and asked if he could watch my stick inputs while I did one so he could figure out how to do them as well. I couldn't do a poptop to save my life!! I just drew blanks. After I landed and sat for a bit I did another flight and without even thinking Bam!!! Poptop lol it is all in the subconscious musle memory.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Just the other day I was doing pop tops and a buddy came over and asked if he could watch my stick inputs while I did one so he could figure out how to do them as well. I couldn't do a poptop to save my life!! I just drew blanks. After I landed and sat for a bit I did another flight and without even thinking Bam!!! Poptop lol it is all in the subconscious musle memory.

Plus you have that right rotating pop top into a KE spin NAILED. I did one yesterday with the PAU and it wound up super tight since it enters with a ton of energy.....from now on I'm going to call that the "crashflow".