• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

thurmma

150cc
Got my quote for electric in my shop.............$2900 (40 hrs of labor). Now I'm handy enough to do electric wiring myself to a point. I've never hooked wires up inside of a CB box but I have wired lights / switches etc from the box. I have a permit already for electric for the building and I don't have a license for it so I'm trying to work with the electrician on a much better price before I go to another one. I hope to run everything myself and he justs connects things or looks over my work, but I doubt it.

When you build a shop..........everything costs $1000-$2000 (even if you do it yourself). Electric, insulation, finishing of floors, walls, ceiling, etc etc etc. It just keeps adding up.
@sweetpea if you can wire lights and outlets, the breaker box is a walk in the park! The main thing is keeping the wires neat and organized inside the box. I am assuming you will be running 220 to some outlets, that would be the only thing out of the norm for you.

I am not licensed and did all of the wiring for my garage and when I converted the built in garage to 2 bedrooms, a full bath and my office. I ran an 8 awg wire from the main box on the other end of the house and then wired the rooms the way I wanted them ran. Each wall is on its own breaker and the lights are on their own circuit also, so when you plug an iron into the wall it doesn't dim the lights, unlike the rest of the house that I haven't rewired yet. I hate when contractors shortcut the wiring to save a couple bucks here and there. If they can't bid it to be wired correctly, then don't bid the job.

I had 100 amp service ran to my garage with its own meter. The only thing the electric company did was connect it to the box on the outside. All electrical passed city code inspection first time through with flying colors.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Finished up this smaller rifle, but will need a higher amperage esc. With the larger Ammo motor installed, it is pulling 90 amps at full throttle. Hopefully I can find a nice lite 100 amp esc to stuff in it. With the data I have it should hit somewhere around a buck Fifty WOOOOHAAAA!!!! IMG_3831.JPG

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Finished up this smaller rifle, but will need a higher amperage esc. With the larger Ammo motor installed, it is pulling 90 amps at full throttle. Hopefully I can find a nice lite 100 amp esc to stuff in it. With the data I have it should hit somewhere around a buck Fifty WOOOOHAAAA!!!! View attachment 14858
That sounds like fun. We've got a lot of foamie jet guys at the club that talk speed all the time. I love to take my little scratch built racer and blow by them like they're parked. Sounds like your Rifle would do that to me. ;) Go fast, turn left.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
IMG_3293.JPG IMG_3833.JPG The smaller Rifle with the suggested speed set up, will do around 100 to about 120 with the smaller ammo motor. When I fill the need for some real speed I get out one of These. She does around a buck seventy Five. You should see them hide when I get this out. Go fast turn left. LOL !!!

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 14873 View attachment 14874 The smaller Rifle with the suggested speed set up, will do around 100 to about 120 with the smaller ammo motor. When I fill the need for some real speed I get out one of These. She does around a buck seventy Five. You should see them hide when I get this out. Go fast turn left. LOL !!!
Cool, I still have a Prather Lil' Tony unfinished hanging on the wall. There were several guys at my old field that raced Quickies and Run What You Brung airplanes. At our field you could fly around yourself so they'd practice there all the time. Our field was too small to hold a race for those, so we raced 1/2a and later .10 sized airplanes.

I can still remember from back in the day what a K&B 7.5 with a pipe screaming it's guts out sounds like.

My .10 scratch built racer from back then. I converted it to electric since this picture and it's much fast now.

10 Racer.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Last year we got a new truck so I could haul two 35% planes to some events that we don't want to haul a trailer to. I made a plywood slide with outdoor carpet strips on the bottom to make it easy to slide. Problem is after a year of use it has gotten harder and harder to pull. @thelaw being a tough girl pulled off one of my handles already.

So I've been pondering a way to put wheels under it and this is what I came up with. I did some searching on the toy-store of hardware stores.....McMasters. Found these sweet rollers that are just the right size and $9 each. So, for $100 or so I have everything I need including some marine spar outdoor varnish to actually finish this one to be more permanent.

It'll take me a few days with finishing to wrap this up so here is the start of it. Lori was CNC'ing plywood today so I drew this up in about 5 minutes and had her cut it for me. Then a few minutes with a chisel to square out the corners and install the roller assemblies.

Attachments

• IMAG0978.jpg
    IMAG0978.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMAG0971.jpg
    IMAG0971.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG0972.jpg
    IMAG0972.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0973.jpg
    IMAG0973.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMAG0974.jpg
    IMAG0974.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0976.jpg
    IMAG0976.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMAG0977.jpg
    IMAG0977.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 214

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Here is the 5x10' 10HP Multicam making quick work of the plywood to prep for the rollers:

PS - for god sake Lori change out that dust hose already!!!!