• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
If you all watch the vid very closely you can see the battery eject on impact and scoot across the ground. It was a good 10 yards from point of impact.

I can hardly believe it but the motor had no dirt or even a scratch on it o_O. And even more amazing I found a piece of the prop deep inside the left wing panel. All kinds of weird stuff happens when energy is suddenly dissipated. I was most fortunate not to have this as a total loss. I don't think a balsa plane would have protected things the way the "chunk O foams" do.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If you all watch the vid very closely you can see the battery eject on impact and scoot across the ground. It was a good 10 yards from point of impact.

I can hardly believe it but the motor had no dirt or even a scratch on it o_O. And even more amazing I found a piece of the prop deep inside the left wing panel. All kinds of weird stuff happens when energy is suddenly dissipated. I was most fortunate not to have this as a total loss. I don't think a balsa plane would have protected things the way the "chunk O foams" do.
Looked at it several times but couldn’t see a thing you were standing right in front of the crash.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looked at it several times but couldn’t see a thing you were standing right in front of the crash.

Stop the vid and scroll frame by frame. I don't know if the quality on you tube is good enough but you can also change the playback quality to 1080p. The vid was shot in 2.7k And of course use full screen.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well got the bottom covered with just three pieces. Two white and small strip of yellow. Had to do a lot pulling heating and stretching but I got it to work. Still need to cut one more opening hatch for the radio gear.
328EB441-9A94-487F-8CD3-567AC5882998.jpeg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Stop the vid and scroll frame by frame. I don't know if the quality on you tube is good enough but you can also change the playback quality to 1080p. The vid was shot in 2.7k And of course use full screen.

@Snoopy1 Sorry. I could not see it either on the YouTube vid. I can on my computer though so here is a pic of the battery traveling across the ground just before it stops....

20181230-121934_LI (2).jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Snoopy1 Sorry. I could not see it either on the YouTube vid. I can on my computer though so here is a pic of the battery traveling across the ground just before it stops....

View attachment 107850
Yes I see it now thanks, and the battery is still good , luck boy. All you need now a new air frame and you will back in the air. It happens to all of us, if we push the envelope sooner later you find out what it will or will not do. Unfortunately in your case it was proverbial 10ct screw that put you in to the ground.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Yes I see it now thanks, and the battery is still good , luck boy. All you need now a new air frame and you will back in the air. It happens to all of us, if we push the envelope sooner later you find out what it will or will not do. Unfortunately in your case it was proverbial 10ct screw that put you in to the ground.

Another one is on its way. And a new bottle of Blue Thread Locker :face-palm:. I did some destructive testing and investigating of the air frame before bagging it to the trash can. Very thick and sturdy EPO foam molded around solid CF rods in the fuse. The Wings pretty much the same but hollow CF square stringers running the length of the wing panels around the wing tube socket (4 of them and 4 solid rods in the fuse). The 4 spare servos (Potenza HV 37 gram MG) will make for some nice light weight throttle servos in both my Extras :)
I will treat the new one with a bit more respect and some pre-flights. I got too caught up in the "Load and Go" mind set for a quick thrill.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Another one is on its way. And a new bottle of Blue Thread Locker :face-palm:. I did some destructive testing and investigating of the air frame before bagging it to the trash can. Very thick and sturdy EPO foam molded around solid CF rods in the fuse. The Wings pretty much the same but hollow CF square stringers running the length of the wing panels around the wing tube socket (4 of them and 4 solid rods in the fuse). The 4 spare servos (Potenza HV 37 gram MG) will make for some nice light weight throttle servos in both my Extras :)
I will treat the new one with a bit more respect and some pre-flights. I got too caught up in the "Load and Go" mind set for a quick thrill.
After the first flight it will be like you stole it. Have have some excitement in our lives. If you don’t scare yourself every now and then what’s The fun in it. If I flew my planes around like a tanker plane I would be bored with in week.