• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

Yup cub cadet. Not mine though. A buddy loaned it to me. As long as the garden goes well this year I will be buying one in the off season.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Started work on the Hostetler Cessna 182.... The laser cut kit came with these plywood formers... they are nice for getting started, but I am finding them difficult to work with for maintaining alignment. Going to have to take a step back and figure out a way to keep this fuse straight.

1.jpg cessna182.jpeg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Started work on the Hostetler Cessna 182.... The laser cut kit came with these plywood formers... they are nice for getting started, but I am finding them difficult to work with for maintaining alignment. Going to have to take a step back and figure out a way to keep this fuse straight.

View attachment 19012 View attachment 19013
What if you square up and line up the formers on a sheet of plywood. Then glue them onto the plywood? That would hold the formers rock steady and fully aligned while building the fuse.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Because all those formers are square and the same width (or look that way in the pictures at least), you could clamp a piece of angle iron to the bench on both sides to hold them square. Hard to describe in words, but two pieces of angle parallel to each other the length of the fuselage and pressed against the formers to hold everything square.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
The fuse sides really aren't straight, the sides do have a non linear taper to them. Going to try to work out from the center. Going to run to HD today and see if I can get a length of conduit, or something rigid, to run along the center line. I can then block/brace outward from this rigid center support.... or... I think that will work. :)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I think you missed my point, the fuselage curves, but the frames that it sets on are not. Not real numbers, but say the fuselage is 10" wide at the front and the building cradle is 12" wide. At the rear, the fuselage is 6" wide, but the building cradle is still 12" wide. You square up the building cradle with the angle iron, this will force the fuselage to be straight because the cradle is straight.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Well... there isn't much straight on this fuse or formers... curved sides, curved bottom... so, here is my solution to aligning things. Measured some guage widths off the plans and cut out these temporary formers. glued them in place with 'break off' tabs' spaced them out over a straight section of metal conduit. Have a little more aligning to do and should get back to gluing. Looks like this should work ok.

2.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg