• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

wecoyote

70cc twin V2
Terry. That is looking great.

Will you be adding your awsome vents to the plug to be molded into the cowls?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
wecoyote said
Terry. That is looking great.

Will you be adding your awsome vents to the plug to be molded into the cowls?
I'm going to experiment with that at a later time.     What we discussed would be the drawback of laying them up as part of the mold is they are fairly complex so they will be mainly filler material and resin (heavy).     We are going to try to do a few things like carve some up and vacuum form them to make a mold.    They they could be laid up thinner glass and less resin to be applied separately by just gluing them on and blending in with filler like I'm doing with the wood ones.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, if you ever do this again you should look at using Spies Hecker spray polyester filler for this filler step. If your last glass and resin step has sealed off your foam then spraying the Spies can really speed along the process. It fills really well and sands way easier than the glazes. Plus since your spraying it on, it's laying on flat and not leaving the inevitable ridges from smearing by hand. And those are what you spend most of the time sanding.

I've tried many different spray poly's and the Spies has them all beat in my book. It has a few drawbacks. First since it's a polyester product activated with MEK it stinks to high heaven and a good respirator and nitrile gloves are a must. It will eat foam if it can get to it. And, it takes a special gun with a huge tip to spray it. There are some cheap knockoffs out there that work great. But even after all that the benefits outway the drawbacks by far in my opinion. It's something to think about anyway.

Doug

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool, I will certainly be doing more of this, but not sure how much.     I'll look into it and save the info.   Thanks!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Stopped by and saw the cowl in person. I think I want one for my Viper. Love the openings on the front and the shape is dead sexy.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks much better today.      Had a couple of pinholes left when I left for the day today for a a couple of flights.     So, cowl plug will be done tomorrow and canopy plug just needs a little relief on the front and back and a coat of epoxy primer.....getting closer!!!     I can't wait to get started on another one (or two) of these!!

Sorry, forgot my disk at the shop but I'll post a pic tomorrow. 

tylerzx9r

100cc
Terry, Jetpainter Doug is correct! I Use Spies products at my shop also, the poly filler is a great product and 3M also makes a cheap primer gun with a throw away type air/cap so there is little clean up for the gun. I would be glad to show you next time we get a chance to visit. The build is looking great! You do have MAD SKILLZ! I look forward to reading more, and learning some tricks and tips as you go. Thanks for sharing, and being willing to give away some knowledge, that is what sets you apart from others! You don't try and become rich off of a few secrets! For all those who don't know Terry personally, your really missing out, he has helped me out on other projects, and he is fun to fly with also! Keep up the good work!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
tylerzx9r said
For all those who don't know Terry personally, your really missing out, he has helped me out on other projects, and he is fun to fly with also! Keep up the good work!
Awe, shux......actually the way I hear it is everyone likes TheLAW and puts up with me because I come to events with her
running-lol.gif

Feeling pretty good, after drying all night the primer looks good. I'll prime it again today after the last couple spots of red putty are sanded and probably shoot it with two coats of automotive clear for a nice hard glass smooth shell.
image023.jpg

Attachments

• image020.jpg
    image020.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 221
  • image021.jpg
    image021.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 173
  • image022.jpg
    image022.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

Tseres

150cc
Terryscustom said

Awe, shux......actually the way I hear it is everyone likes TheLAW and puts up with me because I come to events with her
running-lol.gif

Thats the way I heard that.
icon_smile.gif