• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
tylerzx9r said
If you can find out the info on the 3M gun Part #16587, and the caps you need from your local paint shop.... I really suggest using that. You can get caps of various sizes, the only reason is... if your using your Sata, and don't get it cleaned out well, it is a real high replacement cost over some epoxy primer that bites well. I also agree on the wait after mix time (called an induction period). If you want I can bring a gun and some caps for you to the party this weekend, you can try one before purchasing to know if you really want to go that route?.
Thanks Tyler, I may purchase a special gun if I do more of this.    My Devillbiss gun is nothing special so I can use that as my crash test dummy.      I saw that I can get caps and needles locally if I need to go up a size.     Next Summer when we are down I may chat with you some more about this if I am going to make more molds and plugs.

Weather looks super nice on Saturday in Council Buffs 70 degrees with a 7mph wind!!!     We will be there bright and early on Saturday AM for some huckin'.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Jetpainter said

Fibertech said
Jetpainter said

The name of the product is Spies Hecker Raderal Spray Polyester 3508. If you need any more info, let me know.

Was wondering if you have used this over the top of epoxy resin?
Though I always use it over epoxy primer, I have never tried it over epoxy resin. Now that you brought it up I want to do an experiment and see. I have an epoxy glass cowl at home that has an area I need to cut off. Later this week I'll test it and see.

I would imagine your concerns are adhesion and proper curing?

Yes that was my concern. I’m always a little nervous when using different chemical make ups together. It’s always good to test first. Where do you purchase the 3508 from if I wanted to try it?
My biggest concern is using polyester anything and epoxy together over epoxy surface lay up or under. Don’t get me wrong I like try new processes especially if it makes things easier. It’s even better if someone else has done the testing.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Fibertech said
Jetpainter said

Fibertech said
Jetpainter said

The name of the product is Spies Hecker Raderal Spray Polyester 3508. If you need any more info, let me know.

Was wondering if you have used this over the top of epoxy resin?

Though I always use it over epoxy primer, I have never tried it over epoxy resin. Now that you brought it up I want to do an experiment and see. I have an epoxy glass cowl at home that has an area I need to cut off. Later this week I'll test it and see.

I would imagine your concerns are adhesion and proper curing?

Yes that was my concern. I’m always a little nervous when using different chemical make ups together. It’s always good to test first. Where do you purchase the 3508 from if I wanted to try it?
My biggest concern is using polyester anything and epoxy together over epoxy surface lay up or under. Don’t get me wrong I like try new processes especially if it makes things easier. It’s even better if someone else has done the testing.
I get it from my local Dupont distributor. Dupont, Spies Hecker, Standox and Nason are all owned by the same company.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I ordered up a whole pile of goodies from various companies today.      Restock fabric supply, new resin to try, gelcoat, fillers, some new PVA that is supposed to be easier to use (no webbing / easier spraying and won't fisheye over waxed parts) and some ultracal30 to experiment with making concrete molds.       Looking forward to trying some more stuff and doing some more prototyping this Winter and Spring.

I'll get back on track with building something a new fuse later next week.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Made quite a bit of progress today. The canopy needed to have some positive relief added to both ends to aid in removal of the canopy after vacuuming. So I carved up some dense pink foam, hit it with some "thick n nasty" hairspray and laid up two layers of 9.5oz satin fiberglass. Before I left I was able to rough trim the parts. Tomorrow I'll hit them with some bondo, epoxy them onto my plug, blend that in with some more filler and I'll be ready to shoot a couple layers of epoxy primer.

Little sanding and ready to pull parts!!!

Attachments

• image024.jpg
    image024.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 241
  • image025.jpg
    image025.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 284
  • image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 272
  • image027.jpg
    image027.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 228
  • image028.jpg
    image028.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cowl plug is getting super close. All materials to make the cowl mold should be here on Friday!! So, for those of you wanting a kit....keep your fingers crossed!! I made the parting board for the cowl split before I did my final sanding of the primered surface. This takes a bit of work but I used some 1/8" hard-board and it worked out very nicely. Most of the gaps I have to fill with clay are only a few thousandths wide!!!

I plan to make multiple molds for some designs this Winter so I glued up a hardboard "bed" that is weighted with bricks on the CNC bed to be perfectly flat. I can wax this entire board and use it multiple times through the season. With that and the parting board complete the only thing left was to final sand the cowl and hit it with a couple of coats of clear automotive clear.

Cowl looks very cool with clear shiny finish. Love the way the light accents the inlets and the deep cut "V" on the top, going to be killer looking. Let this dry for a couple days and start wax-on, wax-off, wax-on, wax-off, wax-on, wax-off, wax-on, wax-off, wax-on, wax-off.

Attachments

• image029.jpg
    image029.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 241
  • image030.jpg
    image030.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 280
  • image031.jpg
    image031.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 260
  • image032.jpg
    image032.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 248
  • image033.jpg
    image033.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 207
  • image034.jpg
    image034.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 276
  • image035.jpg
    image035.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 245
  • image036.jpg
    image036.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Just spend a few more $$ on the Winter festivities and ordered up some Ultracal-30.     It is a gypsum based cement that can be used for lots of things.      There are several YouTube videos of this being used for everything from canopy molds, canopy plugs, cowl plugs and even cowl molds over top of other materials such as tooling gel-coat.      I'm looking forward to trying it for some of my prototype molds and plugs and even though shipping is nearly the cost of the materials (very heavy), it just looks like too much fun not to try.

More on that later and on other projects coming up.     video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msu75vEqLqI&list=PL84DAADA6E0BA1176&index=57

SleepyC

150cc
Dude, you are a machine. 

Last night I just looked at a cowl that needs mounted, brushed the sweat from my brow and called it a day....

RESPECT!

tylerzx9r

100cc
I agree, He is a machine! One question, how much work is the Law doing to keep you guys moving forward on everyday work? Because I don't have that kind of energy when I get home from the shop! Looking really good Custom Crew!