• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow crashflow, thanks but I doubt anyone will be talking about me. I'm looking forward to you flying one of these some more, I don't know who had more fun....you or Gene that day you guy's flew the orange one.

Well, the primered cowl is out and looks amazing. However I learned something. PRIMER STICKS TO THE FREAKING MOLD REALLY GOOD!!!! It took me almost 25 minutes to get them out of there while the other lay-ups were 2-3 minutes. Also another thing I learned is that the gelcoat mixture I've been using was only adding about 1 ounce of weight but it adds tremendous surface tension and makes the cowl very strong. This primered one is too flimsy to use without adding some glass to the inside. I am going to fill it with spray foam and use it as a plug to make myself another mold sometime later this Winter.

image001.jpg

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 254
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 238

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I may be a complete idiot, but can you add the gelcoat over the primer when you are laying it up?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I may be a complete idiot, but can you add the gelcoat over the primer when you are laying it up?

Sort of defeats the purpose. The Gelcoat and primer are doing the same thing....giving a smooth pinhole free surface. So the only way to really do this primered version and strengthen it up would be to add glass or use a different weight of glass. Rick really has a good combination that he uses at Fibertechnmore to get a nice strong and light cowl but the sacrifice is you have to fill some pinholes which is really no big deal. You either add labor and materials up front or you add labor and materials at the end of the process....no way around it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Alrighty, I've been playing with glass and molds long enough.....lets build one of these suckers already!!!

First off I see that this thread has almost 1000 more views here on GSN than on the other site. You guy's ROCK, thanks for following and making a build thread worth the time and effort!!

Picture of a kit fresh off the press. I modified a few parts so that there is no way to install them backwards or upside down. K.I.S.S. is always best
_DSC0009.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Parts layout with all formers, sides, top bottom and misc. fillers doublers etc.

Attachments

• _DSC0010.JPG
    _DSC0010.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 273
  • _DSC0011.JPG
    _DSC0011.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 255
  • _DSC0012.JPG
    _DSC0012.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 261
  • _DSC0013.JPG
    _DSC0013.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 265
  • _DSC0014.JPG
    _DSC0014.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 256
  • _DSC0015.JPG
    _DSC0015.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 266
  • _DSC0016.JPG
    _DSC0016.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 280

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, your glass work looks great.
To make you feel even better about your work check out these photos of a glass fuse I just received. I won't say who made it even though they don't hangout here, but I was very disappointed when I got it out of the box. :face-palm: Sort of hard to see in the pics, but it's loaded with flaws, pinholes and waves.

20141108_144308.jpg 20141108_144325.jpg 20141108_144956.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, your glass work looks great.
To make you feel even better about your work check out these photos of a glass fuse I just received. I won't say who made it even though they don't hangout here, but I was very disappointed when I got it out of the box. :face-palm: Sort of hard to see in the pics, but it's loaded with flaws, pinholes and waves.

Wow! Thanks for making me feel good! Pinholes in a cowl are no big deal, but in a fuselage I would wonder about structural integrity over the long haul. I'm new to this whole composites deal but the surface tension on there has to play a big role in the fuselage performance. I know you'll make it cool though, can't wait to see it finished some day!

wow is all I can say for you and Ricks work, can't wait to see the foam cnc cut wings.
Bill

Thanks Bill, you and me both!! I've built three of these as prototypes and I'm still all giddy because I know it's going to be badass!