• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Did you have any trouble with that soaking into the wood as it dried? When I did my PAU it seemed to soak into the wood, so I soaked it down a little with CA, it seemed to help. I thought I may try the hairspray trick next time.

Hairspray would be the key, but I'm tinting my canopy so I just misted the black until the wood was black. Really did not want a glossy paint build-up. The texture paint is opaque and leaves a satin finish when dry.

Hoping to get out to get some more clearcoat and supplies tomorrow and will tint some canopies later this week.

crashflow

70cc twin V2
If your system works could you balsa the sides and paint the plane with out doing much covering?( maybe just the belly)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I know jet painter plans on painting his plane. I intend to do a viper that is fully sheeted and painted at some point. Will be. Good test bed since I know how much it weighs with a normal build. Probably won't tackel that one till summer though.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Did I hear tint canopies? I could help Wednesday as I don't work. I can even bring one to practice on!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't need any practice but you are welcome to come mask and tape and I'll do yours too. I do have work to do on wed but I can put you to work.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I think the next aerobatic plane I build, I will paint the whole thing. I have found some cool primers that I am going to experiment with over balsa, and the. Let sit in the sun and see how much it shrinks. A super thin coat of finishing glaze might be an option too. A glassed viper would be just fine too

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
This is a pretty cool topic, maybe we should start a thread on finishing products and techniques? We have a killer lineup of paint and body wizards on tap here!!

tylerzx9r

100cc
If I remember correctly, I Painted an entire fuse, belly, cowl, and canopy for Justin Handa ( a John Willman Design called the Quasar) and it only was about 12 oz. of weight. It is a 2M 35-50cc size. The whole fuse was mold made much like our cowls. I will try and get some pics!