• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
This is the explanation I pulled up from ACPcomposites site of Veil and kind of why I thought I would try it
Fiberglass Tissue
Fiberglass Tissue is a lightweight, advanced, non-woven fiberglass veil incorporating E-Glass fibers bonded together in a random fiber matrix. The non-woven construction allows a resin-rich surface that increases chemical stability and reduces the risk of micro-cracks forming in the composite surface. It has excellent formability and drape and wets out evenly.
Fiberglass Tissue can be used to provide a smooth covering for composite structures or to add stiffness with minimal weight gain and thickness. It is compatible with polyester, vinyl-ester and epoxy resins and is suitable for use in wet layup, vacuum bagging and resin infusion manufacturing.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Veil sounds interesting, I read about it a little but I was not sure if it would work for canopy decks. I may have to get some samples to see how well it lays down and holds together when applied by itself over balsa, maybe a well kept secret that we need to try!!!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Some control line stunt guys use carbon veil. It's supposed to produce a very light result, but then you have the carbon fiber/radio issues. The fiberglass tissue sounds very interesting.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
I just got the veil last week to put to the test. My thought and this depends on how you mount the canopy is to tape up the canopy (protection) and sand back petg say 1/2-3/4" around the front profile from existing .06 down to say .03 or .04 thick. Then inlay this into the sheeted deck. Use some 1" or so wide 1.4oz cloth over seem transition then some light plaster sand smooth. Then lay veil full length of deck plus over the 1.4oz with thinned epoxy and a little micro mix blended in. Vel comes in a few different oz sizes. I have .5oz to try. I’ll post some pics when I get this. I’ll try it on Viper deck. If it don’t work I know the guy and I can get another one.:)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
is paint lighter than fabric covering?

Highly likely, depending on prep. And fabric covering has a satin look to it with a highly visible weave. What I want on my next Viper is a full hotrod gloss paint job all flamed out with metalics pearls and airbrushing!!! Awesome but not "pimp daddy".;)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry I had to take a couple days away from the Viper build to work on the CAP cowl. The Viper build is down to just a few small items before it's ready for covering.

- Install canopy shell
- Rudder hinge blocks (inside fuse)
- Hinge surfaces
- Cowl final fit
- Prep and prime canopy and cowl
- Cut covering templates.

I took a few minutes this AM to finish the inside of the canopy. I tried a few different textured paints and like this one. It's two steps but you don't even need to let the first coat dry before applying the second. Also the amount of material applied does not even tip the scale on adding weight so it's perfect!!

_DSC0797.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0792.JPG
    _DSC0792.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 309
  • _DSC0793.JPG
    _DSC0793.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 281
  • _DSC0794.JPG
    _DSC0794.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 293
  • _DSC0795.JPG
    _DSC0795.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 261
  • _DSC0796.JPG
    _DSC0796.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 291

tylerzx9r

100cc
Did you have any trouble with that soaking into the wood as it dried? When I did my PAU it seemed to soak into the wood, so I soaked it down a little with CA, it seemed to help. I thought I may try the hairspray trick next time.