• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 112” - Taylorcraft by HeyLuc & Snoopy.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Kevlar should be better in compression loads than carbon fiber but that's quite the layup! Should be super duper strong!

I was a plumber on a large government remodel years and years ago, a DEA office down by the airport. Some of the wall coverings were 1" thick, 1/2" sheetrock of course but also 1/2" Kevlar sheeting under the sheetrock. I should have kept some scrap pieces of the Kevlar.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I was a plumber on a large government remodel years and years ago, a DEA office down by the airport. Some of the wall coverings were 1" thick, 1/2" sheetrock of course but also 1/2" Kevlar sheeting under the sheetrock. I should have kept some scrap pieces of the Kevlar.
No doubt. After all, you paid for it. :way_to_go:

TonyHallo

150cc
Learned something today. Didn't know there was such a thing. Wonder what that cost the taxpayers?

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Learned something today. Didn't know there was such a thing. Wonder what that cost the taxpayers?

Bulletproof glass, a large safe type area (drug storage?), Kevlar walls, I guess close to the airport for drug interdiction.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
We are making progress slowly it depends on the weather if it is windy or raining then progress is made.
This is cowl plug being made. Luc printed the nose cone and now it is being glued and blended to the rest of the cowl.
D9D529C3-E622-4990-8AEE-2B3BCC1D833D.jpeg

TonyHallo

150cc
I assume you are filling the areas adjacent to the openings as well? I expected to see the triangular shaped inlets just because that is what I have in the past, but if you look around you will find other as well. Very neat way to make the bowl area, I need to get into 3D printing.

6618603.jpg
6828591.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@TonyHallo
I am not quite sure how Luc is going tackle this I have never built a cowl this way, but sure is interesting. I do know he had a drawing or picture of a Taylor Craft that was used to do the 3D printing. Yes I agree 3D printing is amazing and makes a lot things a lots easier. From what I have seen so far it is not so much the printer but expertises of the person to make the drawing and the set it up so that it can be printed. And yes again I really would like to have one.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well then let's wait and see what Luc does.
I downloaded a free version of Fusion 360 to play with, will see what happens.
i have Fusion on my lap top. Not that easy, I am very proficient in AutoCAD but in 2D. I moved off the design table before 3D became the norm. I have opened Fusion a couple of times but at this time I do not have patience to teach my self for hours to make a drawing.

BalsaDust

Well then let's wait and see what Luc does.
I downloaded a free version of Fusion 360 to play with, will see what happens.
Tony, read along on this thread I started. I still need to get back on this and finish it up so I can share the files for anyone who would like to build one. It may not be the correct way of doing things but it's what works for me.
i have Fusion on my lap top. Not that easy, I am very proficient in AutoCAD but in 2D. I moved off the design table before 3D became the norm. I have opened Fusion a couple of times but at this time I do not have patience to teach my self for hours to make a drawing.
Find the patience. It's worth it once you learn it. I will not go back to AutoCAD for airplane design's again.