• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc DHC-2 "Beaver" Kit Build from Moustache Model Works

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I had high hopes for Moustache Model Works. But after hearing about all the issues you're having I think I'll steer clear of them. The last laser cut kit I built was from Mountain Models and it was absolutely fabulous.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I had high hopes for Moustache Model Works. But after hearing about all the issues you're having I think I'll steer clear of them. The last laser cut kit I built was from Mountain Models and it was absolutely fabulous.

I was going to buy a couple of these. Some of the building methods are genius, but there needs to be a bit more clarity. Hopefully after more people build and comment on them the techniques will be improved a bit.
I was excited to keep going quickly, but I need to slow down to comprehend the steps better. There is hope for MMW. We’ll see as I continue to go further

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Question. To use the cardboard wingtube sleeve or make a glass one or buy one?
72F53950-B719-4FE2-A23A-21A3C773B28D.jpeg

TonyHallo

150cc
Just one note of curiosity, if the laser files are correct, why isn't the drawing. It would seem one would start with the drawing?

BalsaDust

Just one note of curiosity, if the laser files are correct, why isn't the drawing. It would seem one would start with the drawing?

It could be where larger sets of plans can be off drastically because of the paper swelling and shrinking with the amount of humidity in the air. A buddy of mine was building a 55cc One Design Kit. Was supposed to have a 85” wingspan but if you actually put a tape measure on the plans to check it was coming up about 1/2” short of that from where the plans had been in his hot garage and where really dry.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

BalsaDust is spot on. Humidity changes. There is different type of paper out there that is less prone to this. I forget the name of it, but it’s slightly transparent too... and more expensive.

It’s a little hard to move your mindset when building to trust the wood. But that’s what one has to do here.

BalsaDust

BalsaDust is spot on. Humidity changes. There is different type of paper out there that is less prone to this. I forget the name of it, but it’s slightly transparent too... and more expensive.

It’s a little hard to move your mindset when building to trust the wood. But that’s what one has to do here.

Understand the feeling. The two planes I'm currently designing both will be laser cut and for the most part will not need plans at all to build as everything will just key together.