• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Chugging away on the top wing. I got the cabane mounts finished, the wing trammeled and the bolt holes drilled. I just tapped the wood block for now because I haven't made up my mind whether or not I want to use blind nuts. I'm using a 1/4-20 bolt, they are most definitely over kill but trying to keep the amount of tools needed for field assembly to a minimum.

276.jpg

The front mount. I put a balsa block on top of the mount block and sanded it flush to the ribs, after I sheet the bottom of the wing I will back drill the holes, then set the wing on the cabanes and trace the tab foot. I will then cut the balsa away down to the ply mount, leaving a recess for the tab in the wing. Should make it easy to get all the bolt holes to line up, and speed up field assembly time.

277.jpg

Got less than 1/4 of a degree of negative incidence in the top wing and 1-1/2 degrees of positive incidence in the bottom wing.

278.jpg

Putting the tip bows in!

279.jpg

Starting the sheeting, doing the bottom sheeting on the wing first as all of the tabs and mounts will protrude out of the bottom (they protrude through the top in the bottom wing).

280.jpg

Putting the notch in the tip bow for the tip sheeting to rest in.

281.jpg

Tip sheeting on. With the sheet recessed into the tip, after it is shaped and rounded the sheeting will be nice and flush, and make a nice smooth tip for covering.

282.jpg

Really happy with the symmetry, the bottom wing is laying on the top wing and the tips match pretty good!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Still putting sheeting on. Tonight I worked on the Leading edge sheeting and getting the recesses for the front cabanes cut. Tomorrow it will be the center section sheeting, the "N" strut mounts and the flying wire tabs.

283.jpg

After I sheeted the center section leading edge, I back drilled the mounting holes and sat the fuse down on the wing. I put the bolts in and then traces the mounting tabs.

284.jpg

I then cut and chiseled out the balsa down to the ply mount and whala, recessed mounts!

285.jpg

I really can't wait to get started making the plug for the cowling, then it will really start looking like a Krier Kraft!!

286.jpg

Figured I'd put my ugly mug in a picture with it ;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Still putting sheeting on. Tonight I worked on the Leading edge sheeting and getting the recesses for the front cabanes cut. Tomorrow it will be the center section sheeting, the "N" strut mounts and the flying wire tabs.

View attachment 91883

After I sheeted the center section leading edge, I back drilled the mounting holes and sat the fuse down on the wing. I put the bolts in and then traces the mounting tabs.

View attachment 91884

I then cut and chiseled out the balsa down to the ply mount and whala, recessed mounts!

View attachment 91885

I really can't wait to get started making the plug for the cowling, then it will really start looking like a Krier Kraft!!

View attachment 91886

Figured I'd put my ugly mug in a picture with it ;)
I've been so involved with the Pitts, I've not been able to keep up with the build threads including your awesome Krier build. I like what you did with the servo mounts and was also considering doing a similar arrangement. Still waiting for a company to get back with me on some Lazer cut servo trays though. If they don't pan out, I'll probably do as you did. I've never been much of a 2 winged plane enthusiast. Other than the Super Steerman. (Who could not love those, right?) But am slowly coming to the dark side. Lol. Really like your building. This thing should be really awesome.

Bipeguy03

150cc
I've been so involved with the Pitts, I've not been able to keep up with the build threads including your awesome Krier build. I like what you did with the servo mounts and was also considering doing a similar arrangement. Still waiting for a company to get back with me on some Lazer cut servo trays though. If they don't pan out, I'll probably do as you did. I've never been much of a 2 winged plane enthusiast. Other than the Super Steerman. (Who could not love those, right?) But am slowly coming to the dark side. Lol. Really like your building. This thing should be really awesome.

Thank you! This thing has been ton of fun, I think the aspect of kinda making it up as I go along is the best part. :)

I look forward to seeing your posts in your Pitts build, you kicked some serious butt with that thing!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Not much going on with the Krier the last couple of days. Been working on a Buddy's Hurley 35% Extra and its fighting me lol.

I do have some hardware ordered for the Krier and there has been a change in plans on the engine.

I originally planned on a DLE or EME 35 but the light weight always ate at me. The Krier has a long tail and a super short nose which as you all know most often turns into tail heaviness. Grampa had to put 13 oz of lead in the nose when his had the Tartan engine in it.

Last night dad comes in and says Merry Christmas I got ya something. He was able to get a NIB Quadra Q-35 on eBay for $90!!!!! So I guess my Krier will have the same engine Grampa's did lol.

Dad got himself a Q-35 on eBay a month ago for the Kool Kanary he wants me to build for him.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not much going on with the Krier the last couple of days. Been working on a Buddy's Hurley 35% Extra and its fighting me lol.

I do have some hardware ordered for the Krier and there has been a change in plans on the engine.

I originally planned on a DLE or EME 35 but the light weight always ate at me. The Krier has a long tail and a super short nose which as you all know most often turns into tail heaviness. Grampa had to put 13 oz of lead in the nose when his had the Tartan engine in it.

Last night dad comes in and says Merry Christmas I got ya something. He was able to get a NIB Quadra Q-35 on eBay for $90!!!!! So I guess my Krier will have the same engine Grampa's did lol.

Dad got himself a Q-35 on eBay a month ago for the Kool Kanary he wants me to build for him.
Dude, that is totally awesome.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Hey guys, I'm still kicking I promise! 'Tis the season to be running around like a chicken with its head cut off lol, I have been occasionally squeezing in a hour or so of work on the Krier every now and then. Haven't been taking a lot of pictures because it's the top wing...... It's pretty much the same as the bottom wing ;)

Anyway, the top wing is almost finished. I'm down t to a couple of gussets, one more flying wire tab and then all the cap strips. Then it will be on to all the detail work which I'm assuming will take the rest of the winter.

287.jpg

Sheeting on the top wing done. Took this one before I put the center section block in or the aileron cove blocks.

288.jpg

Got the center section block in, the wingtip sheeting sheer webs, tip center stiffener, and on aileron done.

289.jpg

The last aileron in the jig getting finished off.

290.jpg

Just down to a couple of gussets, flying wire tabs, and cap strips.