• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @Bipeguy03,

Sometimes, there are just no words to describe what you see. For me, this is one such time. I have sat here for the last hour and looked at the pictures on the last couple of pages and I am in awe of what I see. @pawnshopmike hit the nail on the head with his last post. I can only imagine what's going through your mind as you watch your dream come to fruition. It won't be long before your masterpiece takes to the skies. I'm sure that day will be a memory to last a lifetime.

Wacobipe

100cc
7B96E74D-6DF1-4693-ACCF-EF4B3A6F0903-415-0000001F889842BA.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
So, while allowing the dope to gas off for a week or so before the clear, I figured I start working on some of the detail stuff. And I decided to start with the cockpit.

I bought a J'tec 1/4 scale instrument kit a while back so first thing is the panel. I used a piece of 1/16" mahogany and opened the instrument holes with 1/2" and 3/4" forstner bits. I then made a laminate from 1mm birch and opened the same holes up with the next size bits. When glued together it gave me a place to glue the instrument faces and instruments to.

Sight_2017_05_21_001124_790.jpg

Then I made up the aresti chart, and glued it to the panel. I used a piece of plastic to make a cover for the chart and attached it with some stick pins pushed through the panel and cut off.

Here's grampa's again for refence,

WP_20160603_015.jpg

Then its on to the pilot. I'm using a 1/4 scale Williams Brothers standard, just like grampa's.

WP_20170520_003.jpg

It's a little to short, because the cockpit opening on the Krier is cut down so low. So I made a 3/4" balsa shim.

WP_20170520_004.jpg

I cut the shim to shape and glued it to the bottom of the pilot and set about filing it to match the shape and contour of the pilot. When I was done I put 3 coats of Nitrate on the balsa to fill the grain. I'll break out my display model paints tomorrow to finish up the pilot, including the goggles.

WP_20170520_005.jpg

So here is a taste of the finished cockpit. The floor was painted with Dakota Black butyrate. I still need to finish the pilot, make the seat back and headrest. Then after the clear is put on the fuse, get the canopy made.

Sight_2017_05_21_001020_404.jpg

This is the really fun stuff :)