• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Me too...I may redo my choke on the Yak...where does he come up with these neat innovative ideas???
I lay awake at night...:confused:. Sometimes my neat ideas don't bear fruit...at least on the first pass. Case in point - if you noticed on the 1st pic in my last post you'll see some lovely 1" aluminum exhaust extensions. Well, I happen to already have headers, but they needed 1" more drop to fit better in the Krill.

So I thought, gee...I have some 1" thick steel plate...I'll just drill a hole, cut them out and whittle (if that's a word one can use for steel) them down to what I need.

So.....out came the drill press(to drill a 1" hole), cutting torch, grinder, files and lots of elbow grease to create one of them. I think I spent 1/2 of a day making just one. Only THEN did I decide "screw this" and did the proper thing...contact a friend, Steve Siedlecki and had him machine 2 of them out of aluminum, with nice Viton O-rings (last pic)! Anyway, it was yet another learning experience....and I'll keep the steel one on the shelf as a reminder :cheers:
DSC09838LR.jpg DSC09841LR.jpg DSC09837LR.jpg DSC09835LR.jpg Steve Siedlecki extensions.JPG

Mikeq

150cc
Got to hand it to you Earle you get it done once you figure out what it is you want to do...must be nice to have a friend like Steve that can do metal work like that...looks like a manufactured extension instead of something custom made.

Just saw your using pipes. Just as a heads up its going to be difficult to balance seeing as I have the same model with stocks and running a non lightened backplate aluminum painted spinner 3 pulse 5000 2 cells on the firewall and the smoke pump on the firewall with the pull pull setup and that gets it just forward of neutral. The power of the 120 is actually pretty good for this plane. Mine came in @ 27lbs dry tank with 9 bls 172s Danhakl tanks and Dave brown spinner.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll find out further down the road. How do you like yours as far as flight characteristics?

H'mm maybe i'll make the other steel header extension anyway:cheers:

I like mine only have about 20 flights on it. It has a lot of good characteristics in precision fly and 3d it is a monster. Being composite some of the setup I noticed is different than a wooden frame mainly throws and expo on rudder and ailerons. I had more throw and more expo . when I first flew it I was using two 3600rx packs and one 5000 for ign with a carbon spinner, after 3 flights I changed the rx packs to 5000s with the smoke pump and heavy aluminum spinner and I got it so its semi locked in for me. I don't have a cg measurement only going off my vertical climb for thrust angles and 45° inverted which requires a slight push. I was able to get through the unlimited sequence pretty good I think, and like I said can get it to do every 3d maneuver in the book. Overall I'm happy that I went with it vs anything else on the market and I have had time on some of the big ones and this fits my style.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Earle I took your advice and jumped on board!

I'll be doing a build of my 1/3 scale Harvard (AT-6) over here. It has a Moki 250cc going into it.
Winter has come to us up here in Canada so I have lots of "Building Time" available.
Sa-weeeet!!! I will be looking forward to this one. Glad you're doing it here.