• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 60" Yak-55

Hmmm... I know it's a different plane entirely, but the 46" Yak 55 seemed to fly better with the CG a little farther forward than neutral (but still aft of what 3DHS specified in the manual). I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion because it works for me and I'm only trying to help out.

[MENTION=421]mazjag[/MENTION] You might be happier with a lighter setup. I think 6S 3300 is just a bit heavy for what this plane is designed to do.
All the same, it goes a long way to show how overboard 3D planes are with regard to wing area that this one will handle weight as well as it does.

This thing is the absolute best rolling plane I've ever flown. I dumb thumbed a rudder input through knife edge at about eye level and just rolled it back to wings level to bail out. Safe to say that was all plane and no skill.

mazjag

50cc
Thanks 3Drew...It is what it is at this point...Gyro just helped me get my Velox were I wanted it so I`m not doing another motor, battery swap..Mine doesn`t fly bad by any stretch, but I think I like a more floaty airframe.. It does roll great and has awesome power...I`m gonna keep tooling with it or change what I try to do with it...

mazjag

50cc
This off the 3DHS owner`s group thread on facebook from Joe Smith. He apparently did most of testing on this airframe... passing it along for non facebookers...

Put the sfgs on the outside of the added wingtip. This kicks the trailing edge out so that there is always pressure on it. This was done to add yaw stability to this airframe since that is the main problem with yaks. I'd also use smaller sfgs, the large ones add too much side area to the front of the plane which moves the center of pressure even farther forward making it feel more tail heavy in yaw. This is where the instability in yaw comes from on yaks. So sfgs actually make this plane worse in theory and I agree they do (after testing many different configurations.) Now I wouldn't just not use sfgs at all either because they also help to reduce spanwise flow. This can be accomplished with small sfgs and therefore there is not a drastic shift in the center of pressure in yaw.

I actually tried them both on the inside and outside when I flew it last weekend and did prefer it on the outside. I intended to make some smaller ones, I was thinking very small, more like stall fences than SFGs, but I never got around to it. I guess pricing was the issue that they didn't include smaller ones with the 60 like they did the 91?

speego

New to GSN!
For the Motrolfly 4315-480kv motor... Does it need spacers?... building mine... Is kind of tight.. if i dont put spacers the firewall hole wont fit... i will have to open the hole a little more but not sure if that will weak the wall... any experience guy please provide me with some advice, thanks.!
P.S. In the pictures in the first post you cannot really see.

I asked on the other forums about that and Bivens replied it wouldn't be a problem. I used spacers on mine, haven't gotten around to pulling them out yet but plan on it to get some weight off the nose. The plane seems much happier balanced neutral, at least for my tastes.