• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well electric versions can have their issues too. Battery ejected but it landed perfectly....inverted :eek: Replaced the canopy and repaired the rudder and she back to her tumblying fool self :D

We really need to find a way to disable power to the battery ejection system... I'm tired of those battery's grabbing the ejection handle when they get scared :D

My gas powered Velox flew today!

It was only with the help of my friend Humberto, but we got it started and flying. It needed an electric starter to spin the prop enough to catch, but once started the engine ran well.
It'll need some tuning to get all the performance out of the little 20cc, but it ran for an entire tank without issue.

Aside from the starting issues with the DLE-20 today, the Velox flew well.... even with reversed ailerons. I've really got to be more diligent about checking direction of movement, and not just movement. Either way, with some coachnig from Humberto, I was able to keep the wings level, and steer her back around to land with the rudder. Landing was wing low, but damage free. What made it even more challenging, was that it was a "maiden" and was out of trim, so it needed constant aileron input (reversed in my brain) to stay level.

After I landed, I changed my underwear and flew again until I ran out of gas... Happened in a good spot, and did a nice gentle deadstick without incident. I think it's running a little too rich :)

Needless to say, a very eventful lunchtime outing.

-G

joshgluck

100cc
We really need to find a way to disable power to the battery ejection system... I'm tired of those battery's grabbing the ejection handle when they get scared :D

My gas powered Velox flew today!

It was only with the help of my friend Humberto, but we got it started and flying. It needed an electric starter to spin the prop enough to catch, but once started the engine ran well.
It'll need some tuning to get all the performance out of the little 20cc, but it ran for an entire tank without issue.

Aside from the starting issues with the DLE-20 today, the Velox flew well.... even with reversed ailerons. I've really got to be more diligent about checking direction of movement, and not just movement. Either way, with some coachnig from Humberto, I was able to keep the wings level, and steer her back around to land with the rudder. Landing was wing low, but damage free. What made it even more challenging, was that it was a "maiden" and was out of trim, so it needed constant aileron input (reversed in my brain) to stay level.

After I landed, I changed my underwear and flew again until I ran out of gas... Happened in a good spot, and did a nice gentle deadstick without incident. I think it's running a little too rich :)

Needless to say, a very eventful lunchtime outing.

-G

Glad it finally made it into the air and back in one piece! I too have gotten better at making certain the surfaces move in the right direction. I maidened my new to me 65 vyper today and had the ailerons polarity reversed so at least that stopped me before sending her airborne. Once up she was in desperate need of trimming and I was skeeerrrred for a few while I got it under control as I was flying solo and didn't have a helping hand. Although I managed to get it dialed in and ran another 7 packs on it, I think I'm in stating the no maidens alone rule for the next one. Especially since it will be a gasser :)

Did some flying on my Mintor 22 Velox this past week and tried a few props. I managed to get 8100 RPM out of a Falcon 18x6 which works out to 14 lbs of thrust which is pretty darn good for this class of motor. I also ran the 17x6.5 and was over 8600 which is close to the same number. I have run a Vess 17x6s in the past and it is basically at redline on this motor.

Anyways, this is by far the airplane I am most comfortable with at this point in my 3D flying for some reason and I was considering doing a second one electric. Playing with the castle calculator I am not sure on a 6S 5300 setup I am really gaining any power with a A50-16S which is the motor I would like to run. I have a A60-6XS on another plane and you have to run stupid big props on these motors to get the power out of them. A 20" prop brings it's own issues with prop effects so I am trying to shy away from the A60-5XS or 6XS.

Anyone here have experience with the recommended motor? What props you running? The motrolfly 4325s are about the same weight as the A60 Hackers. I have had one of these in the past wound for 8s and I know there is no issue with power there, but I would like to keep it light.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Did some flying on my Mintor 22 Velox this past week and tried a few props. I managed to get 8100 RPM out of a Falcon 18x6 which works out to 14 lbs of thrust which is pretty darn good for this class of motor. I also ran the 17x6.5 and was over 8600 which is close to the same number. I have run a Vess 17x6s in the past and it is basically at redline on this motor.

Anyways, this is by far the airplane I am most comfortable with at this point in my 3D flying for some reason and I was considering doing a second one electric. Playing with the castle calculator I am not sure on a 6S 5300 setup I am really gaining any power with a A50-16S which is the motor I would like to run. I have a A60-6XS on another plane and you have to run stupid big props on these motors to get the power out of them. A 20" prop brings it's own issues with prop effects so I am trying to shy away from the A60-5XS or 6XS.

Anyone here have experience with the recommended motor? What props you running? The motrolfly 4325s are about the same weight as the A60 Hackers. I have had one of these in the past wound for 8s and I know there is no issue with power there, but I would like to keep it light.

When my Velox was electric, I really liked it on the 20x8 prop with the motrolfly 4325-280 on 8s. I'm sure the Hacker does just as well.
On gas it's running the DLE 20 with a 17x6, and to be honest, the electric setup seemed to 3D a little better, but I've only got one flight on the gas so I'll reserve my opinion a little longer.

ryan_m

100cc

You mentioned already that you were thinking a 6s5000 setup, so use the 4325 wound for 6s and you still have a light setup (compared the 8s setup you had before at least). The motor is only about 4 ounces heavier than the Hacker a50 series, and the power is well worth that tradeoff I think. I have a 6s 4325-435 in mine and love it. Still very floaty and light. Spins an 18x10 if you want it fast, or 19x8 if you want a bit more thrust. However if the weight is a concern, how about the Motrolfly 4320 series? Right at the same weight as the A50, but the kv's are far more attractive for 6s, not requiring a 20" or more prop to get 2000 watts out of it.

4320-400 seems like a good choice. I wonder if there will be any spacing issues. Probably not, but something to look into.

Gyro did you CA your motor box and in the general area there for reinforcement on your Velox??? Cant remember if you said you did or not.... but brought mine home from the field today and a bunch of the joints and stuff were loose... i mean so much so that i thought that my stand off mounts were loose!!! don't know if its cause of the "Big" power and all the vibration or what but you might want to keep an eye on it if you didn't do any glueing!!! its whatever....

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gyro did you CA your motor box and in the general area there for reinforcement on your Velox??? Cant remember if you said you did or not.... but brought mine home from the field today and a bunch of the joints and stuff were loose... i mean so much so that i thought that my stand off mounts were loose!!! don't know if its cause of the "Big" power and all the vibration or what but you might want to keep an eye on it if you didn't do any glueing!!! its whatever....

Yes, I did add ca! :) thanks for looking out for me.