• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

gyro

GSN Contributor
Seriously Mike...are you trying to jinks me bro. :grumpy: j/k man.
This whole week is going to suck until I open the box. :banghead: if it's all messed up again bad things are going to happen. I will have to have a little chat with the UPS guy. It will be fine Im sure. This will give me time to get a few things. Things I figured out after the first build. Servo wire keepers and things like that.

Hey let me ask you guys this. When you glue the hinges, what do you find to be the best way to do? I mean what do you use.
Epoxy, Gorilla Glue or thick CA? Or whatever it is you like. Is there a certain gap you like to maintain between the wing and ailerons/rudder/elevator? Any building advice you have would be great. I know to go over the entire plane and hit all the joints I can get to with some thin CA. When I remove the blind nuts, use some round stock to fill the hole and glue it with some thick CA or Gorilla Glue before drilling the new holes for the motor mount. Have to go over all the seems with an iron on med heat. What am I forgetting?

lots of resources in the article section of the site, like this one: http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php?271-Hinging-the-Holman-way

Poke around in there when you've got some time :)

nsg

30cc
Hey let me ask you guys this. When you glue the hinges, what do you find to be the best way to do? I mean what do you use.
Epoxy, Gorilla Glue or thick CA? Or whatever it is you like. Is there a certain gap you like to maintain between the wing and ailerons/rudder/elevator? Any building advice you have would be great. I know to go over the entire plane and hit all the joints I can get to with some thin CA. When I remove the blind nuts, use some round stock to fill the hole and glue it with some thick CA or Gorilla Glue before drilling the new holes for the motor mount. Have to go over all the seems with an iron on med heat. What am I forgetting?

I use Gorilla on hinges. Some people prefer epoxy as it doesn't expand that much - less messy.

Read the whole manual first. Think a step or two ahead, go slow and the build threads. You'll be ok. Vyper is easy to put together, even for a 3DHS kit.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
[MENTION=965]nsg[/MENTION] I used Gorilla Glue on the first build. I do like this stuff, it is very strong, but I agree with others about the expanded stuff it leaves as it dry's. Think I'll try 30 min epoxy this time around. Funny you should mention the manual, I've read that thing at least a dozen times. The best reading and information I get comes from the you fella's here on the build threads. So thank you and keepem coming...it's :grrreat: stuff.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
For what it's worth... I do like girilla glue for a lit of applications, but not for hinges. The reason being that the expanded glue has very little strength. This means if there are any gaps where the components being bonded are not tight fitting the glue integrity is compromised. I feel epoxy is a better choice for this reason to overcome the risk of a poor/weak bond. Also, I prefer to work with epoxy.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Stinking UPS came today and picked up the plane. Was hoping they wouldn't have, would liked to have worked on it. Think it would of gave me some good practice at repair work. Oh well, the new one will be here next Tuesday.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Okay fella's when I look at the setups on all these planes here I notice almost everyone runs the pull pull system. I understand the weight issue of running the servo at the tail, but is there any other reason to not go with the push pull? Is pull pull a better setup? The reason I went with the pull pull the first go around is because it just seemed easier to setup and in my mind "which a bit wacky" would have more precision and wouldn't have to deal with cable stretch. Is it harder on the servo to run it on push pull. The plane does look cleaner with pull pull. Anyway if you care to share you opinions on this, I would like to hear them.

nsg

30cc
Okay fella's when I look at the setups on all these planes here I notice almost everyone runs the pull pull system. I understand the weight issue of running the servo at the tail, but is there any other reason to not go with the push pull? ..

It is a balance thing. You'd need a very heavy setup to balance out the rudder servo in the tail. I used to run an 8s setup where a tail servo could work. That was 24s3300 mah Glacier, Hyperion HP-Z4035-299, Castle ICE 100. That still balanced with a pull-pull, with batteries against the wing tube.

For what it's worth... I do like Gorilla glue for a lot of applications, but not for hinges. The reason being that the expanded glue has very little strength. This means if there are any gaps where the components being bonded are not tight fitting the glue integrity is compromised. I feel epoxy is a better choice for this reason to overcome the risk of a poor/weak bond. Also, I prefer to work with epoxy.

It's a matter of personal preference, of course, and either glue, applied correctly, will do the job. That said 1) your glue joint doesn't need to be stronger than the material you are gluing (in your case, hard balsa) 2) I like the fact the Gorilla glue expands - that gives you a bigger contact area.