• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

65" Vyper Discussion Thread

SnowDog

Yes it will be some time if ever I would need that much rudder the way I fly or ever as we have seen...LMAO! and I did lower my rates even more. Normal mode DR/Expo on Rud is 60/75 The image below looks pretty much the same as yours. Did you use the arms that came with your servos?

View attachment 32267

Yes, I did use the stock arm that came with the servo...your setup looks spot on...carry on!

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
So I have it all done and ready for flight, however I find myself to chickenSh*t to actually do it. Wish one of you guys lived close by so you could at least check it out and tell me if it's set right for flight. I really don't want a repeat of my first maiden.

SnowDog

So I have it all done and ready for flight, however I find myself to chickenSh*t to actually do it. Wish one of you guys lived close by so you could at least check it out and tell me if it's set right for flight. I really don't want a repeat of my first maiden.

Have you connected with my local buddy, Bob?

Tell us your exact setup on low rates:

how much travel on each surface?
how much expo?

as long as CG is on the wing tube, you are good there.

I certainly understand your anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Well lets see here. I did get a pm from Bob, but I think he's been pretty busy.

Setup is:

Low Rates... DR/Expo Aileron 40-50 Elevator 35-50 Rudder 70-75 on a single switch "F Mode" Mid Rates... Aileron 65-70 Elevator 70-70 Rudder 90-75. High Rates... Aileron 90-80 Elevator 100-80 Rudder 100-85
Not sure what travel you talking about. In the TX? The only travel I did was on high rate I set the end points so that I could get max throw with the servo arms that I could. I say that because I noticed that with these arms I am maxed out at 150 on the TX and I can see there is still a bit more I could get. Not much but a bit. The Rudder was the only surface that I had to back off a little or it would of hit the elevator on each side. CG this time I did it with some fishing line around the wing tube and lifted it up, and because I chose to go with the pull pull this time the cg moved back some. Last time the I had the battery almost right up against the firewall, now its over the landing gear slightly forward. So how bad is it. :confused:

2015-01-28 12.17.24.jpg

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
One comment... the percentages of throw don't mean a whole lot because they ate so drastically affected by the length of the servo arm. Can you get a throw measurement in degrees? You might have to make a paper throw meter.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Ah Ha okay here's what I got. Plane leveled out.

Aileron:
Low Rate 20 deg up/down
Mid rate 30 up/down
High rate 40 up/down 45
2015-01-28 13.39.53.jpg 2015-01-28 13.40.18.jpg
Elevator:
Low Rate 20 up/down
Mid Rate 42 up/down 40
High Rate 55 plus up/down
2015-01-28 13.34.41.jpg
Rudder:
Low Rate 35 <-- -->
Mid Rate 45 <-- -->
High Rate 49 <-- -->
2015-01-28 13.46.47.jpg

Does this help better?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
That does help quite a bit. It should be fairly tame with those throws on low rates. It will still probably have more control authority than an imac plane but will be manageable. With as much expo as you have in there it might feel a little soggy... but still manageable. Take it off, fly high, get her trimmed and get a feel for the control inputs. I think you are going to do fine ;)

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Going to try and get out today. Work has me hopping pretty good right now, owners will be in town soon and I have a crap load of crap to get done. :)