• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

miketek

30cc
Hello everyone !
Newbie here....strill trying to figure out how this forum works... ;)
Good to know that this 3DHS Slick is so popular......i just got one last week, gonna be my winter project !

I got the brand new version on the 71" Slick (same airframe for gas and electric) and would like to have some opinions about how i'm gonna set it up !
First, the engine...gonna go with a DLE 35RA......seen pretty good comments about this one ! What would the best 3D for that engine ????
For servos i was gonna put the Hitec 7940TH....a little pricey but the speed is good !!!
Any one using dual servos on elevator on this one ? The user manual calls for only one but i got the option of putting one per side....what do you guys think ?
I wanna try the A123 battery technology on this plane, but not familiar with it....i was thinking about one 2300mah...is it gonna be enough for...let's say...3-4 flights without recharge ?
Any tips on setting up that plane ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys !!!!

njswede

150cc
Welcome to the forum!

I run Hitec 7955TGs in my (electric) 71" Slick and I'm using a single tail servo without any problem. You can also use the Savox SC 1258TG (same as Align DS610). I use them in my 72" Extra. Most people seem to be running single elevator servos.

My Slick is electric, but I also have a 72" Extra, which is a very similar plane, with a gas engine in it. I run a PTE36R is mine, which runs great when it runs, but I've had some quality problems with it. There's a v2 of it out now, which supposedly have fixed most problems. I'd still be a tad careful with that engine, though. I think the DLE35R will be fine, but I would take it apart and check for leaks and bad reeds before setting it up. These Chinese engines are infamous for leaky reeds and reed blocks.

As far as the battery, are you thinking of going with a single battery for everything or separate ignition and radio batteries? If you're planning on using a single battery, you MUST use an IBEF to make sure ignition noise doesn't feed back into your radio circuitry. I think a 2300mAh A123 should be enough for 3-4 flights (probably more). Check out the A123 (LiFe) batteries from epbuddy.com. I'm using them in my 72" Extra with great results.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Welcome to the forum!

I run Hitec 7955TGs in my (electric) 71" Slick and I'm using a single tail servo without any problem. You can also use the Savox SC 1258TG (same as Align DS610). I use them in my 72" Extra. Most people seem to be running single elevator servos.

My Slick is electric, but I also have a 72" Extra, which is a very similar plane, with a gas engine in it. I run a PTE36R is mine, which runs great when it runs, but I've had some quality problems with it. There's a v2 of it out now, which supposedly have fixed most problems. I'd still be a tad careful with that engine, though. I think the DLE35R will be fine, but I would take it apart and check for leaks and bad reeds before setting it up. These Chinese engines are infamous for leaky reeds and reed blocks.

As far as the battery, are you thinking of going with a single battery for everything or separate ignition and radio batteries? If you're planning on using a single battery, you MUST use an IBEF to make sure ignition noise doesn't feed back into your radio circuitry. I think a 2300mAh A123 should be enough for 3-4 flights (probably more). Check out the A123 (LiFe) batteries from epbuddy.com. I'm using them in my 72" Extra with great results.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

I also run the align ds610 servos in my 7x" planes, and they're great. However, Savox had a new servo out just for planes, called the SA-1258tg. We did a review on them here: http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php?224-Savox-SA-1258TG-Aircraft-Servos

Hitec also has some great new servos out that are nice for this size airplane. They're the new HS-8330SH and are super fast at 0.07ms
http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos...esponsive-high-speed-steel-gear-servo/product

Either way, you can't go wrong!

SnowDog

Hello everyone !
Newbie here....strill trying to figure out how this forum works... ;)
Good to know that this 3DHS Slick is so popular......i just got one last week, gonna be my winter project !

I got the brand new version on the 71" Slick (same airframe for gas and electric) and would like to have some opinions about how i'm gonna set it up !
First, the engine...gonna go with a DLE 35RA......seen pretty good comments about this one ! What would the best 3D for that engine ????
For servos i was gonna put the Hitec 7940TH....a little pricey but the speed is good !!!
Any one using dual servos on elevator on this one ? The user manual calls for only one but i got the option of putting one per side....what do you guys think ?
I wanna try the A123 battery technology on this plane, but not familiar with it....i was thinking about one 2300mah...is it gonna be enough for...let's say...3-4 flights without recharge ?
Any tips on setting up that plane ?

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys !!!!

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a 71" Slick! I've got a 71" Slick gasser and it is by far my favorite plane (so far) ;)

The DLE 35RA is a great choice of engine for this plane. I've got an OS GT33 and it rips the plane around very nicely. Not sure about the weight of the DLE35RA vs. the OS GT 33...if it is much heavier, then you could go with two elevator servos...you don't really need two elevator servos...one servo of good strength does just fine...but if you need to balance a heavier engine, it will handle two elevator servos just fine.

Your question "what would the best 3D for that engine" is missing a word, perhaps "prop"? Anyway, a 20x8 or a Vess 20A (I think) are good choices for props.

The A123 is a good choice for the battery...with that battery you could get 3-4 flights easily.

I did a build log for mine here:
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1495-3DHS-71-quot-Slick-(gas)-with-OS-GT33

Post some pics along the way...we like to watch...:D

miketek

30cc
Thanks guys for those quick replys !!!
I was asking about the dual servo elevator because as i was inspecting my new plane, i realized that if i hold one side of the elevator, the other side is easy to move as the little carbon fiber bar doesn't provide a really stiff link of the 2 sides....could this affect flight caracteristics ????
I'm gonna use Hitec servos........been buying those since i started RC and never had an issue with those....and i got lots of extra hardware ! Would go with the 7940TH, they got decent torque (180oz) and 0.07sec speed at 6v.......was talking with a good 3D pilot here and he suggested to go with high speed servos 0.10sec or less.......not a lot of choice in that category !!!
As far as batteries, yes, i would have 2 seperates batteries....a 4.8v 1500mah for ignition and the A123 for receiver/servos.
I also noticed that there is no place for safety pins to lock the wings in place like i have in my Aeroworks Extra 300...have you guys had any issues with that ?
And is the canopy latch reliable ?

Thanks again guys !!!

Rick dazzler

70cc twin V2
Thank you Gyro! Yes we do ship to Canada!!! We do offer Genuine A123 LiFePO4 2-cell 6.6V battery packs in 2300 MAH and 2500 MAH. We also offer Long Reach Balance Extensions and Balance Boards for the Batteries along with Servo Extensions Multiplex Harnesses, etc. Everything you need to get that plane in the air! By the way welcome! Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you in anyway.

Thanks,
Chad

Nice !!! They even got 2500mah A123!!! i hope they ship to Canada !!!

miketek

30cc
Thank you Gyro! Yes we do ship to Canada!!! We do offer Genuine A123 LiFePO4 2-cell 6.6V battery packs in 2300 MAH and 2500 MAH. We also offer Long Reach Balance Extensions and Balance Boards for the Batteries along with Servo Extensions Multiplex Harnesses, etc. Everything you need to get that plane in the air! By the way welcome! Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you in anyway.

Thanks,
Chad

Thanks a lot Chad !

I'll probably contact you for those 2500mah A123 batteries in a near future......that plane is my winter project so i still got plenty of time to set it up !!!

SnowDog

Thanks guys for those quick replys !!!
I was asking about the dual servo elevator because as i was inspecting my new plane, i realized that if i hold one side of the elevator, the other side is easy to move as the little carbon fiber bar doesn't provide a really stiff link of the 2 sides....could this affect flight caracteristics ????
I'm gonna use Hitec servos........been buying those since i started RC and never had an issue with those....and i got lots of extra hardware ! Would go with the 7940TH, they got decent torque (180oz) and 0.07sec speed at 6v.......was talking with a good 3D pilot here and he suggested to go with high speed servos 0.10sec or less.......not a lot of choice in that category !!!
As far as batteries, yes, i would have 2 seperates batteries....a 4.8v 1500mah for ignition and the A123 for receiver/servos.
I also noticed that there is no place for safety pins to lock the wings in place like i have in my Aeroworks Extra 300...have you guys had any issues with that ?
And is the canopy latch reliable ?

Thanks again guys !!!

Hitec servos will work just fine. The carbon fiber joiner in the elevator should be just fine, many people run on one servo...you did glue the joiner to the elevator halves, right? ;) If you are not sure about the elevator joiner being strong enough, then by all means go with two elevator servos...it's just that I don't hear many complaints about this component as you describe.

Separate batteries sound just fine, the one's you describe are just great.

There are no safety pins - the wing nuts hold the wings in place no problem...only problem's I've heard of is when someone forgets to put in the wing bolts! :O

The canopy hatch is good, but some people have lost their canopy in high speed/high G maneuvers. The plane comes with tabs on the canopy sides and blind nuts in the hardware bag; I strongly recommend you install these...I have them on mine and I would not fly without them. In my opinion, any planes above 60" should use canopy side tabs - i.e. if they are provided, use them!