• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Flight report:

I went flying twice today. Once with my boy in the AM and then I decided to head out to the field for some quick flights on the 70 FB slick just before sunset.

The first time I only got one flight because I made the mistake of landing a bit hard and got a prop strike. I went over to the hobby shop (there is a new one in town where the guys are actually cool and helpful) where I found out there was a xoar 19x8 hanging on the wall. I really wanted to fly again in the next 24 hours so my conundrum was how to drill the new prop. My buddy with the drill press is out of town for work so that was not an option. I don't have a prop drilling jig and can never bring myself to pay for one... I should at some point but not today. Finally I decided to throw caution to the wind and use the broken prop as a drill guide. I had the right drill bit for the center hole and had to borrow the smaller bit from the guys at the LHS. After running my card, the owner of the shop held the two props together wile I drilled it. After each hole I dropped a bolt into it to help hold the props in place. My evil genius plan worked!

At around 7:30 I drove out to the field where some huckin was accomplished :D Unfortunately I was out there all by myself. Typically I push a little harder if there is someone there with me.

I spent the first flight up high... trying to gain confidence to bring it lower. The second flight I brought it down and hucked it some. The wind was blowing maybe 6 or 7 mph. Just enough to provide opportunity for torque rolling down the runway. Very satisfying :D. Soon the sun was low enough for me to do some extended hovering into the wind. The wind was from the West so I had to wait till it dipped below the hill. Nearly touched the tail. Satisfying :D . I did my first decent inverted harrier on this plane... takes a lot of faith in the motor since it is barely turning. Inverted harrier takes very little power as opposed to upright. The plane will almost maintain it at idle. Finally managing it, even if for just a moment was very satisfying :D. I'm still really loving the DLE 35 on a 19x8 xoar. Fantastic combo :D

uploadfromtaptalk1369968657465.jpg

Huckin managed :D

SnowDog

Nate that's a great flight report...really glad you figured out how to fly after busting the prop. I had a few (too many) of those on my first 30cc bird (Su-26) and it was always frustrating to bust a $16-$20 prop...of course that plane has an aluminum LG instead of CF so it always flexes too much on landing.
Nice that you have a LHS now that is actually somewhere you enjoy going...I know that last LHS you had was pretty bad.

3dNater

Nate that's a great flight report...really glad you figured out how to fly after busting the prop. I had a few (too many) of those on my first 30cc bird (Su-26) and it was always frustrating to bust a $16-$20 prop...of course that plane has an aluminum LG instead of CF so it always flexes too much on landing.
Nice that you have a LHS now that is actually somewhere you enjoy going...I know that last LHS you had was pretty bad.

Ya the new LHS is a breath of fresh air, but they don't have everything you need yet. Horizon has issues with their location so they have to move before they can get an account there.

Very nice write up Nate, enjoyed reading about how you made it work to go fly.

Thanks, all it takes is determination mixed with a little perseverance :D

SnowDog

Looks like my 71" Slick maiden will be on Thursday at the Cape G. FLI.
Couldn't get it done last Saturday due to rain.

3dNater

Mike have you had a chance to run up your motor and do some tuning yet? I understand the OS is already broken in right?

SnowDog

Mike have you had a chance to run up your motor and do some tuning yet? I understand the OS is already broken in right?

Yeah, quadracer had it on his 72" Extra; IIRC he had a gallon or two through it; I don't anticipate any issues starting the engine.
All I have left to do is mount the switch plate. Gonna do that tonight and then pack it in the van for the trip to Cape G. :D

I still have a bunch of pictures that I've taken for the build thread which I haven't posted yet either.

SnowDog

I was doing some serious flying with this plane yesterday. The weather was tenuous in the morning; drove through some rainstorms to get to the field! Stuck it out and was rewarded with a beautiful, cool, sunny afternoon with some good friends in nearby Rockford. Steve, Tim, and the rest of the Kieselburg Flyers were great hosts and we even had a picnic. Did some serious low and slow work with this plane, did my first tail touches, got some good hovers going, and generally really enjoyed it. I can feel myself transitioning from the "getting to know you" phase with this airframe and moving into the "what can I really do with it" phase...which of course is only limiited by my abilities, or lack thereof!

Also got to see Steve flying his 70" Slick (electric) with the FB/Crimson Bovine scheme...Nate this airframe reminded me so much of yours...sorry to see it go. :(
Steve ejected the canopy in a blender but there was no damage and it was recovered and flying again right away...this time Steve added some canopy screws on the sides to keep it in place. ;)

Bruce sent me one pic so far...:) more to come later, I hope!

P1015507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Does anyone have a spare canopy for an orange electric 71" Slick? I tried that "inverted landing" trick everyone has been talking about... :) The canopies seem to be out of stock everywhere...