• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

JK13

30cc
HS 7940TH
Like the others mentioned - Only one for elevator - pull-pull

:)

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
A friend of mine actually snapped his bolt during a full speed blender in his 71". HE has the $12 insurance item. Luckily we heard it, and he landed. As soon as he landed, the wing shot off the wing tube. On my 70", I stripped a wing bolt in the same maneuver. I do not have the $12 insurance item. When I landed, same thing happened as my friend.
Note where I said above that I won't do full throttle blenders on 7x" planes... you now know why!! If you stay away from that one maneuver then I don't think you would ever have a problem on the stock setup.

miketek

30cc
HS 7940TH
Like the others mentioned - Only one for elevator - pull-pull

:)

Joe

Been looking for different servo alternatives for my slick cauz even though the 7940TH have great specs, they are kinda pricey ( around 150$ each here in Canada ).
I think i'm gonna go with the Savox SV1273 TG....they have great specs too and they are about 50$ cheaper than the 7940TH !

I'm gonna go with a pull-pull system for rudder.......are you guys using a double servo arm with offset on that servo ? ( http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_136&products_id=845 )

SnowDog

Been looking for different servo alternatives for my slick cauz even though the 7940TH have great specs, they are kinda pricey ( around 150$ each here in Canada ).
I think i'm gonna go with the Savox SV1273 TG....they have great specs too and they are about 50$ cheaper than the 7940TH !

I'm gonna go with a pull-pull system for rudder.......are you guys using a double servo arm with offset on that servo ? ( http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_136&products_id=845 )

that rudder servo arm should work just fine.

gyro

GSN Contributor
From following the original 70" Slick thread on RCG (before it became the V2 and grew to a 71) all the way through today I can say that in 4 years or so of following that thread I have seen very very few reports of failures in that area. And when I say I follow that thread, I mean I've read or skimmed through every single post in those 4 years. Not just read it occasionally. The notable failures seem to be around gas versions, and overpowered electric ones. Keep in mind the original design of the plane was for about 1800 watts. Over the years that has become about 2200 for the average setup with some guys pushing 3000 watts on it. The failures on the electric versions have been the high powered ones primarily, and even on gas it seems to be the guys who are particularly hard on planes. I'm sure there are maybe an exception here or there. Overall though I have only heard of about 8-10 planes that have experienced a failure in this area. Given the number sold, that's pretty low.

I'm not easy on mine, but on two different 70/71" slicks that I have owned I have put them through every maneuver I can, full throttle knife edge spins, tumbles, etc. The only exception being full throttle blenders, I won't do that on a 7x" plane. I have never made one fail. My old 70" Slick had probably 500-700 flights when I finally sold it and was still going strong.

That said, if you are at all worried about it, or if you are running gas, 12 dollars is pretty cheap insurance for peace of mind.

well said Ryan, great synopsis.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

I would not recommend pull/pull on a gas setup. You will likely need the weight in the tail. I'd do push-pull.

zmonster97

Hey everyone,

I'm selling my 71" slick. It is the electric version. Airframe only. It is in good condition. The canopy is a little cracked but you can hardly see it. It has Steve's side stiffeners in it. LPU only. PM me if interested.

Thanks!

Hey guys, sorry for asking since i know this is buried in these 40+ pages probably multiple times, but im looking for opinions on motors for my new 71. ( my first 3dhs plane !:)!).
I def want to go with 6s as I already have those. Would just go with the reccomended hacker but have heard it is a but under power in the 71?

hone

150cc
Hey guys, sorry for asking since i know this is buried in these 40+ pages probably multiple times, but im looking for opinions on motors for my new 71. ( my first 3dhs plane !:)!).
I def want to go with 6s as I already have those. Would just go with the reccomended hacker but have heard it is a but under power in the 71?

I used a 4330-435 on 6s with a 19x8 prop. I thought it was lacking in power but that was because i was comparing it to my RIDICULOUSLY over powered 60'' planes. If i compare it to my 78'' gas powered Extra than the Slick had loads of power. The 4330 wasn't ballistic but it made for one smooth 3D plane. [video=youtube;wjeWA7wHK14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjeWA7wHK14[/video]