• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA Camel F1

Tseres

150cc
cbarnes0061 said
You are a great builder bud and I'm really enjoying watching this.
Thanks. I'm just an OK builder. I'm getting better with each one I build. That's how I know I'm not a great builder. LOL.

BalsaDust

Lol I'm the same way. I find everytime I build I get a little better. What made me do a really good job was building something that I would cover with transparent covering. If you don't build it nice all the flaws show.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Tseres said

cbarnes0061 said
You are a great builder bud and I'm really enjoying watching this.
Thanks. I'm just an OK builder. I'm getting better with each one I build. That's how I know I'm not a great builder. LOL.

I'm on that same boat.      I'm up to eight planes that I've "built", one was a glow-turd and six I designed myself.      Still learning a LOT with each build!!      That's what keeps building fun....it's always a challenge.

I'm not quite ready to take on a warbird of any era, but some day I will.     I've always had this one on my rolling wish list:    http://www.meister-scale.com/Thunderbolt/thunderbolt.html

Wife said I could get a Moki for our 20th anniversary.......only two more years
fist-pump-and-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Tseres

150cc
Terryscustom said

I'm not quite ready to take on a warbird of any era, but some day I will.     I've always had this one on my rolling wish list:    http://www.meister-scale.com/Thunderbolt/thunderbolt.html

Wife said I could get a Moki for our 20th anniversary.......only two more years
fist-pump-and-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif

You'd have no trouble building a warbird. 

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Tseres said
[Image Can Not Be Found]This is a little Early to start a winter Build Thread. What Can I say. I got the kit in the mail yesterday. I won't have the time to start on it till sometime in October or maybe even November. I figure what the heck why not the kit is Here and I have the engine on the shelf.

The criteria for this build was that I had to find something with a Round Cowl. The reason for this is that the ZP-38 on the shelf has a side carb and rear exhaust. That set up is better suited for an inverted mount. Most of the WWI planes need the engine cylinder standing up because of the crank location of the scale planes. I also wanted an Allied plane. I just couldn't find one that I liked. Then I saw an Add for a Camel F1 from BUSA. I did a search and stumbled upon The Royal Naval Air Service and their planes. I saw a brightly colored plane that I didn't know the Allies had. Had Red and white stripes on the nose. Caught my eye right away. I said if that is a real scheme then that's the plane I want to build.

I'm fortunate when it comes to building WWI planes. I don't know anything about them. To me . Half the fun of building a scale plane is the research that goes along with it. I often find things in history that I didn't know about. This is where the research starts. I'll be ordering a book on the Royal Naval Air Service 10th Squadron and well know more by the time we start building.

This is it. Start putting your two cents in. I'm open to any stories about WWI or the 10th Squadron.
Cool.....sub'd. This is gonna be fun. Machine gun noises and all. Hee hee

Tseres

150cc
The brick walk is pretty much finished. Outdoor flying is iffy because of weather so I'm back to working on the Camel. Just so you know it is still part time building since indoor season is starting around here and I'll be messing with foamies a little.

While I was working on the walk, My order for glue came in. I have to put in a plug for this glue for 3 reasons. 1 Its made in the USA. 2 He's a friend of mine. 3 I really like the product. Handybond is not sold in Hobby Shops. Handybonds main customers are in Industry. Lucky for you,it can be purchased off of the internet for a price that you will like. Look it up here and tell Herve that Tom sent you.

http://www.handibond.com/
DSC_0149.JPG

Tseres

150cc
Going to work on the bottom wing next. I'm modifying it to be a 3 piece wing. The reason for it is that the landing gear is mounted to the bottom of the wing and I don't want to take the gear loose every time I have to transport the plane. The center section will remain on the plane for transport but will be removable for access to the internals. Never done this before so bare with me. 

I have to go to the LHS for some Hardwood and some plywood this afternoon. Decided to start with the wing screw mounting bracket. This is something I came up with and you will see when the time comes how it will work. It will be one of the last things to go on but I had the wood on hand to make it. 
DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

Tseres

150cc
Change of plans. Talked to a friend about the wing yesterday. Looking into splitting the wing further out. Had planned on splitting it in the dihedral fold. Now I don't know if that was a good idea. Exploring options again. 

Tseres

150cc
Called up TnT Landing Gear and ordered some tubes with sockets. The sockets are out of stock so I have to wait on building the lower wing.

Cleaned up the bench and started working on the tail section. There are pre bending jigs in the kit. You have to soak the 1/16 X 1/4 strips and pre form them. I have to leave the strips in the jig overnight. While this is slow it is necessary. There is no glue between the strips right now. That will come later.
DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG