• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well Fella's,

As I mentioned in another thread, I will soon be in possession of a Bill Hempel 35% Yak 55 airframe in the blue and white scheme. I was supposed to go pick it up on Sunday, but I was held up too long in Florence SC on Saturday and I was whipped by the time I got home.

The engine I'm going to use is the 3Dub 100 got from @Bartman. The engine is going to take a little vacation to go see the G Man for an updated reed block assembly, a new HV ignition system and the carburetor gone through. I will probably send it off in a week or so. I lucked out as the plane was originally flown with a DA-100, so the old 3Dub will bolt right up. It will also be more than enough power for the 26-28 pound Yak.

@pawnshopmike is going to hook me up with some MKS servos and I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. I am going to use MKS DS1220's on all of the control surfaces and even though the plane is set up for two rudder servo's, I am currently planning on just using one. The DS1220's are rated for 422 oz./in. of torque at 6.6 volts, which should be plenty for my aerobatic style of flying. I am also thinking about adding some bling to the plane in the form of some White Rose Wheels and maybe a tail wheel too. B&E Graphics also makes a pretty nice graphics package I am considering.

It is going to be a very exciting time for me at the flying field this coming Spring given the amount of fun I had last year flying my mini "Baby". I've read everything I can find on the Bill Hempel Yak and from what I've seen, it is not only an excellent flying airframe, it is also quite close to scale in outline which is always a plus in my book. This thing should be a blast to fly.

Of course I am open to any and all suggestions or any advise you gentlemen want to offer, as this is my first "true" giant scale plane. I will post some pictures of the airframe when I get home Sunday afternoon.

This is a little off topic, but I have one question. What's up with most you guys changing your avatar's? I came home Saturday night, opened up GSN and I didn't recognize allot of you fellas. . . . . . :laughing:. I will likely change mine too, but not until my Yak is finished.

Good night Fella's, its past my bedtime. . . . . . :sleepy:
I think that is really great. I applaud you for making the jump to a larger plane. I know for a fact you will have a really great time. I would however, humbly offer just a bit of insight. First however...the avatar change you asked about. This will tell you everything.
http://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/avatar-update.10914/
Now for my humble bit of insight. I can not say personally regarding the Yak 55. I can only relate what I have been told by numerous gents that have had one or still have one. No matter if it is Bill Hempel or Pilot or whoever, they have a HUGE rudder. They are highly aerobatic and extremely well suited for low and slow flying styles. Yet incredibly agile enough for very high spirited 3d. I have heard some guys attempted the same as your original plan. One 400ish ounce servo for the rudder. For all around poke holes in the sky or IMAC, it should be fine. But at 6.6 volts, they have indicated they get rudder fade when doing more high energy maneuvers. Now for the part I do know for fact. It takes ever ounce of both Hitec HS7954SH servos, (486x2=972 ounces @ 7.4 volts) to flex the rudder on my 37.5% Pilot Edge. I am a little concerned that one servo for that rudder may not be enough. Just my thoughts my friend. Just play it safe if you go that route. I would really hate to hear that you "planted" it due to a stalled rudder maneuver. Balsa and lite ply don't grow from the dirt buddy.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Nice to see that engine is finally going back into service. Enjoy the plane, that's an exciting project you have there!
Thanks Dude, I wouldn't have bought it f I didn't already have the engine. IF you aver make it down this way this summer, you'll have to come out to the flying field and I will give you some stick time on the Yak.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I think that is really great. I applaud you for making the jump to a larger plane. I know for a fact you will have a really great time. I would however, humbly offer just a bit of insight. First however...the avatar change you asked about. This will tell you everything.
http://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/avatar-update.10914/
Now for my humble bit of insight. I can not say personally regarding the Yak 55. I can only relate what I have been told by numerous gents that have had one or still have one. No matter if it is Bill Hempel or Pilot or whoever, they have a HUGE rudder. They are highly aerobatic and extremely well suited for low and slow flying styles. Yet incredibly agile enough for very high spirited 3d. I have heard some guys attempted the same as your original plan. One 400ish ounce servo for the rudder. For all around poke holes in the sky or IMAC, it should be fine. But at 6.6 volts, they have indicated they get rudder fade when doing more high energy maneuvers. Now for the part I do know for fact. It takes ever ounce of both Hitec HS7954SH servos, (486x2=972 ounces @ 7.4 volts) to flex the rudder on my 37.5% Pilot Edge. I am a little concerned that one servo for that rudder may not be enough. Just my thoughts my friend. Just play it safe if you go that route. I would really hate to hear that you "planted" it due to a stalled rudder maneuver. Balsa and lite ply don't grow from the dirt buddy.
Thanks for the advise Rob. My Mama didn't raise no Dummy. I'd be foolish to disregard such sage advise from a Behemoth Yak flyer, like my good friend @stangflyer . . . . . . . :yesss:. Even though the gentleman I purchased the plane from said the plane flew well with a single Savox 1270 on the rudder, I would be smart to go with two of the MKS's. I've got a couple 5000mAh Duralite A123 packs with dual outputs so I'm thinking one of them will have plenty of capacity for a normal day of flying, which for me is four flights.

While I have everyone attention (hopefully. . . . . LOL), I am open to any advice for setting up dual aileron servos and dual rudder servos, since its starting to look like the big Yak will have both. Putting them all on separate channels is no problem, I just need to learn how to do it without allot of head aches. If I remember correctly, @thurmma is a fellow Futaba aficionado so hopefully he can help me out on the radio end of the equation.

Take care Fellas

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Futaba is ailevator setup I think. Then choose your auxiliary channel and add it to rudder. As well as trim control.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Futaba is ailevator setup I think. Then choose your auxiliary channel and add it to rudder. As well as trim control.
Ailevator is for dual elevators, for two rudder servos one simply picks winglet and there will be two, there can be up to four ailerons as well selectable on the wing type. I suppose some radios may be different but I do have a 7C, an 8FG, an 14SG, and the terminology is the same.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Wow... it's all greek to me. LOL. I guess if I had a Futaba, it would make sense. But really, two aileron servos each and two rudder servos on separate channels is really quite easy. Wouldn't Futaba use basically the same format as all other radios?

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The 14MZ started doing things differently from every other Futaba radio I've had. I learned the new ways when I bought my 12Z as they share the same programming as the 14MZ. Rob's right though, it shouldn't be a problem with separate channels. I just need to learn how to do it.

I'm outta here. Its way past my bed time.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Ailevator is for dual elevators, for two rudder servos one simply picks winglet and there will be two, there can be up to four ailerons as well selectable on the wing type. I suppose some radios may be different but I do have a 7C, an 8FG, an 14SG, and the terminology is the same.

I use the 14sg. I thought ailevator set up was selecting a plane type. It's been awhile since I programmed a plane though.