• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale BUSA Super Cub

TonyHallo

150cc
Here's a few more photos of the interior. The dash came from Goebel, it is very nice

000_0421.JPG
000_0467.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
I have been purchasing supplies to make the exhaust. The scale outlet is just right of the centerline at the rear of the cowl. I plan to make the exhaust out of 5/8" KS brass tube. I bought several 12" pieces of tube, lab metal and a 5/8" tube bender. Did a test piece today, filled the tube up with low melting temperature lab metal then bend it in the bender. After the bends are done the lab metal is melted out of the tube. The lab metal melts at 158F. I tried bending the tube without the lab metal and it just collapsed. With the lab metal the bend worked just fine, all in all I'm happy with the result. The bender makes about a 2" radius. This first bend will be used.

IMG_2701 (1).jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Here's a photo of melting the lab metal out after bending. I had to fill this bend up twice since the first bend was a little short. The 1 quart container is filled with water on a hot plate, there is excess lab metal in the bottom of the container. The metal comes in 1 pound ingots, I needed a little more than one to complete the right side. The lab metal melts first, then the water starts to sizzle, the metal is out before the water boils. Worked very well for the first attempt. I coated the ID with oil before filling.

IMG_2704.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I've been working on the radio install the past few days, the original radio installed during the build was a PCM Airtonics receiver using 7.2 volt Nickel Metal batteries. The current install is a little more up to date. I am waiting on diodes for the power feed to the high voltage IBEC. Should be here today. Everything is hidden so I need to finish this up before recovering.
The two 2200 MA 2S LIPO are switched with a Zepsus dual 20 Amp magnetic switch, one magnet controls both switches, each rated at 20 amps. The servos are Hitec 7985 (6 Total) and 7955 (2 total). The servos are rated at 6 volt so I'm using two 5 amp regulators from Smart Fly, the servos and regulators were purchased in 2009-2010 time frame and never used. I found that while rated at 6 volts the servos get noisy above 5.5 volts so that is where the regulators are set. The servos are plenty strong enough for this plane at 5.5 volt. Since the ignition requires more than 6 volts, I have tapped in before the regulators to supply the IBEC, I plan to isolate each feed with the diodes. The receivers are Frsky R10's, the main receiver handles the critical functions while the second receiver serves as a redundant input to the main receiver and also handles the not critical functions such as choke, position lighting, and stick automation. The R10 receivers have two XT30 input plugs so the power is completely redundant from each battery to the receiver. Once this complete I can begin the recovering process. Photos to follow.

TonyHallo

150cc
Radio install is completed.
The Zepsus magnetic switch has two separate switch circuits controlled by one magnet. The switch is located under the battery access cover as seen on top of the fuselage in the last photo. I plan to drill a small hole so that the cover will not need removed between flights. The two LIPOs will be located under the cover as well.
IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2791 (1).jpg
L-19glass.JPG