• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale BUSA Super Cub

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I wish I had your patience to build. I can spend a lot of time building the flying parts but the interior I just don’t have patience. Nice work on all the details like the exhaust now that is what I like building.👍
Found the glue you recommended order some should get it soon I hope thanks for the help.

TonyHallo

150cc
I bought the glue at the Toledo show years ago ironically from a Canadian vendor on the floor, don't remember who. I thought it would replace CA, for regular building I found it was no different than regular wood glue because it takes 20 minutes to set, so I never really used it. For some reason I decided to use it for the receiver mounts in the Cub? It was sitting on my bench when you posted your wing photo and I thought maybe that would be a good choice. When I Googled it to see if was still available was surprised to see that Horizon handles it and states that it works well for slot together models. I hope it works for you

TonyHallo

150cc
I knew the wing fairings were a little close so I decided to add a little space. There are six layer of masking tape on the wing root, filling with SuperFil. I made these rod ends some time ago when I first bought the lathe, 6-32 threaded end with 4-40 through bolts, the nuts are soldered on to the rod end, should have done the same on the Champ!
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2797.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I need to make new fairings after increasing the size of the wing roots. I was able to reuse the aft sections of the fairings and only needed to make new front sections. A new center top window was cut from polycarbonate that was left over, it is more scratch resistant than the PETG provided in the kit. The windshield is mechanically held in and removable to access the throttle and choke servos.

IMG_2803.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Due to several issues including a week trip to Key West, it doesn't look like I will be able to get the plane painted before the snow flies here in South West PA. I finishing up the battery install then hope to put the fabric on, will wait until spring to spray the Poly Brush, Poly Spray, and top coats. At this point I believe I'm going back to the Cherokee plug.

TonyHallo

150cc
A few weeks ago my hometown had a community yard sale day. I was on the way home from flying and spotted this sewing machine, I went around the block an stopped to have a look, it was priced at $10 and the owner came over and immediately told me it still works. I couldn't get the $10 bill out quick enough. It is cast iron construction and came with a furniture base, I left the base there. When I got it home I confirmed that it did in fact work. Found a manual for the machine online because I know nothing about sewing. With it I was able to lubricate the machine, wind the bobbin, thread the machine and pick u the bobbin. Several test pieces confirmed everything was good so away we go.
IMG_2808.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I had previously covered the bottom of the fuselage so it is time for the envelope. A large piece of fabric is draped over the fuselage and pinned in place to mark the center stringer with a pencil. This is pinned to a another piece of similar sized fabric and sewed together on the line. Excess fabric is trimmed and then turned inside out finally fitted to the fuselage. The fabric is first glued to the center stringer and fin, then glued around the perimeter finally shrunk providing a very pleasing curvature at the fin.
I did make one prototype, on the first seam I didn't notice the bottom fabric had folded over and was sewn in three places, I able the salvage the top fabric but the bottom one got a little cut in it so it was replace.

000_0493.JPG
IMG_2809.jpg
IMG_2810.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Once you get the perimeter glued you think there's no way this will work, but there is a lot of shrink in the fabric. I started with the iron set at 200 f and raised it to 250 f for the last area that needed shrunk. It's time to tape, add reinforcements, and inspection rings.

IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2812.jpg
IMG_2813.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
I used the 3mm pinking shears to cut 45 degree bias pinking tape for the fuselage to fin transition. Trial fit the stab covers, after many years in storage I had to make a new cover for the rear left side, I think I identified all the other parts today. There is 1/64" plywood glued to the fabric under the front cover for the screws since there is not contact above the top fuselage stringer. It's in the 50's during the day, it takes a while for the Poly Brush to dry when working outside. Wednesday and Thursday are showing 60's, I may wait until then to finish the taping.

IMG_2821.jpg