• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 260 Restoration

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Chris...I will keep that in mind when I get to the point of installing new hardware. I was going to keep this little tidbit of information a bit of a secret until later this week. However, I felt ya'll may want to know what I have been up to on the Dalton. So as it goes, the wings for the Dalton are pretty rough. As you all probably could see. Sure, they could be straightened out. But to what point is it really worth it? It just so happens I received a surprise message from a top notch and what I like to refer, a top shelf gentleman that could and ultimately would solve my dilemma. It turns out, this gentleman had two "Brand New" Dalton wings he was not using. I was informed that they are just sitting and would eventually end up in the trash. Oh dear lord....no!!! We chatted and did some measurements, checked and re-checked critical features between the two sets of wings. His, and the ones I have here. As it would turn out, the wings he has are going to be a spot on replacement. I asked what he would part with them for. I was quickly informed that I could "HAVE" them. What? Serious? Really? Wow, what a deal. He even told me that he would be more than happy to finish the final touches on the wings. Such as do the final sanding of the leading and trailing edges. Bevel as needed. Both the wings and the ailerons. Including finishing up the servo boxes. He is even going to do all the hinge point drilling. So needless to say, by the time I receive the set of new wings, they will be pretty much done. Other than gluing in hinges, covering and attaching them to the fuse and setting the incidence. The only thing I will have to alter will be adjusting the CG. As the new set of wings will be set back on the fuse 1/2". No big deal. I highly doubt it will change the flight characteristics and flight envelope of the plane. Once the final touches are done, I can start covering the wings. How could I, why would I say anything other than...Oh heck yeah. Lets do this. Thank you so much.

I am very excited and so very grateful to this gentleman. It is going to make my work on this restore sooo much easier. Which in turn will leave me more time for the rest of the airframe that is in of just as much if not more attention than those poor ole' original set of wings.

With all this being said, I would like to ask all of you to give a great big hearty hands clapping and thumbs up thank you to this awesome gentleman that is now going to be a part of this awesome restore project. Cambize Shahrdar in my opinion is one of the most capable and most respected builders in this hobby that we all have. We all know him as Cam or @orthobird. I seriously was not expecting his gracious and unselfish generousity of making these wings available for this restore project.

Here is a little sample of what he has for me and this restore project.
View attachment 51373 View attachment 51374 View attachment 51375 View attachment 51376 View attachment 51377
View attachment 51378 View attachment 51379

Thank you Cam! Can't really express my gratitude. I know Bruce is going to be ecstatic as well!
:way_to_go:
Very cool!

Hello Rob, great news, the wings are 98% finished. All i have to do now is install the hard points for the control horns.
I am on call tomorrow, and I am seeing patients all day. I should get out by 5 pm, unless there is a call I have to see in the ER.

Early tomorrow morning, I will make the 4 hard points.
then possibly later thursday evening, I will install them, then friday morning, I sand it flush and it will be ready to ship. I also need to find a box to ship those wings in. I wish I would have kept the boxes my most recent kit arrived in. In End Of February, I am getting two more 40% kits, so I will have plenty of big boxes, but if you want them, ASAP, I will go and look for a box this weekend.

Best regards
and you all have a great evening,

Cam

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hello Rob, great news, the wings are 98% finished. All i have to do now is install the hard points for the control horns.
I am on call tomorrow, and I am seeing patients all day. I should get out by 5 pm, unless there is a call I have to see in the ER.

Early tomorrow morning, I will make the 4 hard points.
then possibly later thursday evening, I will install them, then friday morning, I sand it flush and it will be ready to ship. I also need to find a box to ship those wings in. I wish I would have kept the boxes my most recent kit arrived in. In End Of February, I am getting two more 40% kits, so I will have plenty of big boxes, but if you want them, ASAP, I will go and look for a box this weekend.

Best regards
and you all have a great evening,

Cam
Sounds most bodacious Cam. Please don't rush yourself. As I mentioned before, I have plenty to keep me busy until the wings are ready. The end of February is like only a few days away. Why don't we not worry about the push. Just keep me posted upon the arrival of the other 40% kits. I have no problem waiting a couple more days. Thanks for updating me Cam. Mucho fantasitico of ya there pal.

Hello Rob, more progress. 1st, I found out my 2 kits will arrive next week by wednesday or so. I will have plenty of shipping boxes.
#2, the wings are just about done. the hard points were glued in, and they are waiting curing. Tomorrow morning, I will sand them smooth, and they will be officially done. Best regards

Cam

pawnshopmike

Staff member
With all this being said, I would like to ask all of you to give a great big hearty hands clapping and thumbs up thank you to this awesome gentleman that is now going to be a part of this awesome restore project. Cambize Shahrdar in my opinion is one of the most capable and most respected builders in this hobby that we all have. We all know him as Cam or @orthobird. I seriously was not expecting his gracious and unselfish generousity of making these wings available for this restore project.

Here is a little sample of what he has for me and this restore project.
View attachment 51373 View attachment 51374 View attachment 51375 View attachment 51376 View attachment 51377
View attachment 51378 View attachment 51379

Thank you Cam! Can't really express my gratitude. I know Bruce is going to be ecstatic as well!
:way_to_go:

Stories like this are what make me so proud to be a part of this great community. Cam is Da Man!
:yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hello Rob, more progress. 1st, I found out my 2 kits will arrive next week by wednesday or so. I will have plenty of shipping boxes.
#2, the wings are just about done. the hard points were glued in, and they are waiting curing. Tomorrow morning, I will sand them smooth, and they will be officially done. Best regards

Cam
That's pretty awesome Cam. I am really excited to see your work first hand. The rest of you can just eat your heart out. :laughing:
Sincerely speakung, I have to agree with @Krzy4RC and @pawnshopmike. It is one thing to offer up a set of wings. But to kindly and generously insist the wings be completed before shipping is just unheard of. Can't thank you enough Cam.
FB_IMG_1454431350137.jpg

You are prime example of why this hobby succeeds.

TonyHallo

150cc
For the remaining dents in the airframe, you might want to try popping them out before filling. Wet the balsa area where the dents are located and go over with a covering iron set to high, sometimes it takes a few applications, most times filler not needed. Maybe you already know this trick.