• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 260 Restoration

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just a little tinkering to kill some time today. The can tunnel is not too terrible. I removed the old canister tie downs and cleaned up the junk inside. really about all that will need to be done with the can tunnel is to re-attach the fiber deflector to the insides of the can tunnel box. I will obviously clean it all up real nice first though.

20160227_131608.jpg
20160227_131614.jpg
20160227_132000.jpg
20160227_132003.jpg

I really have no clue what these two pieces of lite ply were for, but they will be as gone as the rest of the stuff that was inside.

20160227_131559.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Wow....looking at some of these pics, one wonders if the previous owner EVER took the cowling off and looked/inspected stuff :oblong:

Agreed Earl. I bet it was a real nice plane long ago. It really shows its age. Must have been passed around like cheap lipstick on 52nd street. Those kinds never die just look like it. But Rob has done his stem cell research and I bet it will be gorgeous again one day. But I got the feeling that this restore thread will be a long one. I vote Rob the "RC Courage Award" for even attempting such a feat. I had a similar experience with a guy and I told him............

"You don't have enough money and I don't have enough life left" :deadhorse:.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Agreed Earl. I bet it was a real nice plane long ago. It really shows its age. Must have been passed around like cheap lipstick on 52nd street. Those kinds never die just look like it. But Rob has done his stem cell research and I bet it will be gorgeous again one day. But I got the feeling that this restore thread will be a long one. I vote Rob the "RC Courage Award" for even attempting such a feat. I had a similar experience with a guy and I told him............

"You don't have enough money and I don't have enough life left" :deadhorse:.
Gee...tanks Kelly. I promise though, I'm not going to drag this one out like the big Yak. Once the cowl is bolted on and prop installed on the big boy, the Dalton will get my undivided attention. As long as everything is available, I figure by the end of April. We'll see huh?

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

I hope you're getting hazard pay for fixing this one. . . . . . .:laughing: We have a guy at our field that fixes his planes with duct tape and I don't even think HE has one that looks as bad off as that Dalton does. When you pull this one off, you are going to have to change your name to Houdini. . . . . . :yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
WOW, Rob, just saw the bottom of the fuselage. It will be lots of fun for you. This is all highly do-able and most satisfying at the end. I will be watching anxiously!!!

:dancing-chicken:
What's that old saying? Where there is a will, there is a way. I really don't feel it will be too bad. A little cleaning, a little glue and a few new sticks and it will be just fine. The satisfying aspect will be to seeing it restored and looking oh so sweet.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok so where were we? Ah yes... I remember. The nightmare Dalton. :nightmare:LOL..... When last we left off, I had just removed the belly stringers. A couple broken, the rest loose. Also ascertaining the can tunnel and front motor box area. Now with the big Yak done, it's time to get back on the Dalton. The first thing I am going to do is clean up the inside of the fuse above/below the belly stringers. Once that is done, I will attack the front of the plane. I want to wait on the fuse sides until the wings from @orthobird arrives. I want to be able to double check the incidence by attaching them to the fuse sides. Once that is confirmed for proper fit, a good majority of the fuse side sheeting will probably be striped off.

Soooo....with that being said, I will be back to the Dalton this weekend. Except for a possible maiden of the big Yak. :yesss:

Hello Rob, I believe the wings arrive today. Please let me know how they arrive and If my packaging technique allowed them to make it there safely.