• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Started laying out the left wing tonight. I will get the servo pockets cut tomorrow night and the sleeve glued in. The sleeve is smaller than the hole in the foam so I'm going to wrap part of a paper towel tube around it in a couple of places. I did a test fit and it and it fits snug like it should. I will use Gorilla glue to glue it in and when it expands everything should be good.

I took a picture of the servo plates and my ruler that I can refer back to after the wing is sheeted so I know where to cut the hole for my servo. I made a template of the servo plate out of see-temp so I can just lay it down on the sheeting so I can cut my hole in the right spot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 300

Spats

100cc
Late night last night, got the basic colors on the stabs and one wing. Looking good so far. I was wondering if you guys use Balsarite or any other wood coatings before covering? I use it only around the engine area or difficult curves. If so do you use it on everything? Due to our tree hugger politicians we cannot buy it here in California so I get it when I go to Nall.

Thanks

Spats

100cc
Started laying out the left wing tonight. I will get the servo pockets cut tomorrow night and the sleeve glued in. The sleeve is smaller than the hole in the foam so I'm going to wrap part of a paper towel tube around it in a couple of places. I did a test fit and it and it fits snug like it should. I will use Gorilla glue to glue it in and when it expands everything should be good.

I took a picture of the servo plates and my ruler that I can refer back to after the wing is sheeted so I know where to cut the hole for my servo. I made a template of the servo plate out of see-temp so I can just lay it down on the sheeting so I can cut my hole in the right spot.

Looks good. That's what I did. When you glue the plug end in the phenolic I suggest drilling a pin hole in the plug. I am having a difficult time putting my wings on. The tube fits perfect but there is no way for the air to escape and the wing wants to shoot off. I need a very loooooong 1/16" drill bit.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Late night last night, got the basic colors on the stabs and one wing. Looking good so far. I was wondering if you guys use Balsarite or any other wood coatings before covering? I use it only around the engine area or difficult curves. If so do you use it on everything? Due to our tree hugger politicians we cannot buy it here in California so I get it when I go to Nall.

Thanks

I spray a coat of hair spray on the wood and then hit it with 400 or 600 and it will come out extremely smooth. I haven't used balsarite before.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Looks good. That's what I did. When you glue the plug end in the phenolic I suggest drilling a pin hole in the plug. I am having a difficult time putting my wings on. The tube fits perfect but there is no way for the air to escape and the wing wants to shoot off. I need a very loooooong 1/16" drill bit.

I plan on drilling a hole in it, I did on my stab socket ends. Do you have a long piece of brass tube that is small in diameter? If you do you can sharpen one end of it and drill through your socket end, or solder a small drill bit to it and use it to make a hole that way.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
After final sanding I use compressed air and a tack rag and prep is done for me. Balarite does do good for fuel proofing but I've never used it since ditching glow planes.

Spats

100cc
Thanks Bipenut that's what I was thinking.
Never heard of the hairspray that sounds interesting I may experiment. Terry, that's mostly what I do. The only reason I ask is Ultracote tends to wrinkle up once after heating it but the second go over fixes it usually.

Thanks guys

Spats

100cc
Terry I am at a much lower temp than I use with monokote and it looks good for about 10 minutes and then I get a little wrinkling but a little more heat and it's fine. Should I be using warmer temps?

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Never used balsarite only cheap airisall (sp) hair spray before covering to seal the balsa grain a little and hit it with fine sandpaper. Then tack cloth. The trick to no rinks is to get covering as tight as possible by hand before puting heat to it.