• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Frank Bowman Rings

i placed a frank bowman ring on a brand new DLE 35 cc motor, right out of the box, i opened it up and put that ring in it and i did the reed block mods, and all i can say is that motor was a champ. it turned a falcon 20 x 8 prop at 7700 rpm. i ended up selling it once my DA 35 arrived.

orthobird;17642 wrote: i placed a frank bowman ring on a brand new DLE 35 cc motor, right out of the box, i opened it up and put that ring in it and i did the reed block mods, and all i can say is that motor was a champ. it turned a falcon 20 x 8 prop at 7700 rpm. i ended up selling it once my DA 35 arrived.

Can you please explain what the reed block mod is and if it'll work for the DLE 120? Am thinking of ordering bowman rings for my DLE 120.

Knife Edge;17661 wrote: Can you please explain what the reed block mod is and if it'll work for the DLE 120? Am thinking of ordering bowman rings for my DLE 120.

this is a simple modification to help improve the seal between the carb and the crankcase and the reed blocks.

basically, you take it apart, and using a flat surface with sandpaper, you gently will pass the reed block over it on both surfaces, to make it true, smooth, and flat. then reassemble. let me find grosbeaks explanation somewhere....

Jedijody

50cc
Can't go wrong with Frank's rings in any of our engines. There is no bad or wrong time to install them. Right out of the box, 2 hrs. run time, or 50 hrs. doesn't make any difference, but you'll be in break in mode after install. Frank provides good instructions for installing his rings and executing the reed block mod. You won't regret it.

emtp275

100cc
Ok I found the rings from the links you guys listed did a carb rebuild, reed block mod, and installed the ring! First off let me say this DLE 30 has always run better than most but now it's amazing, running break in mix and just getting a tune and heat cycles run in, plane runs strong now and spinning a vess 20a on a 72 extra it is a bolt with truely unlimited vertical... Needless to say I'm very happy.

Knife Edge;17767 wrote: Cool...thanks!

let me just say, i have a Zenoah G38 and a Saito FG 36 (4 stroke), and both cannot come anywhere close to the DLE 35 cc or the DA 35 cc in power/performance. Both of those run on gas. those two, the biggest prop i could put on them was a 18 x 8. i tried everything, 20 x 6, 19x8, 18 x 10, you name it. the only prop that works best with those two are the 18 x 8.

then, both of them are just way way heavy!!!!

enjoy your DLE man!!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
emtp275;7131 wrote: Ok I'm sure I can figure this out over some time on google but in attempt to build a better data base for info here Ill pose my question here, I am looking to buy a new DLE 61 and I have a DLE 30 now that has some time on it, well i want to put a set of bowman rings in both and i dont know where to go to order them, Also please feel free to share you experance with this mod and if its worth the time.... Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth. First experience: I purchased a brand new DLE 55 with a Bowman ring already pre-installed. From day one, it has been nothing short of amazing. Great compression, dependable. Not one single dead stick nor issue. It now has about eight gallons through it and it keeps getting better. It now lives in its current home of my 50cc VVRC Slick. Third airframe. Second experience: My son purchased a DLE 55 and ran it according to DLE break in and specs. NO Bowman ring. Motor ran pretty good, but definitely a noticeable difference. He disassembled the motor, did a very light honing of the cylinder and installed a Bowman ring. That motor has come to life. Not quite as great as my first 55, but it's coming around. He was impressed enough he purchased a set of rings for his DLE 111 that is going on his Aeroworks Edge. I'd guess the results will be great. Third Experience: I purchased another DLE 55 for my Pilot Edge. I also did not install the Bowman ring from the start. Although the motor ran really good, I was not as impressed as my first one. It had at that time about a gallon through it. I too disassembled my motor, installed a Bowman ring. After about two runs, I could already tell it was a completely different motor. Now after about 8 gallons through it like my first one, it is an absolute animal. If for no other reason than my own experience, I will continue to install Bowman rings in all my lesser expensive motors.

Hope this helps....

I have put Bowman rings on all 3 of my gas engines and love them, I also had the pleasure of meeting Frank in person twice. He is a great guy and I will continue to purchase his rings for future engine purchases.