• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Frank Tiano, Candidate for AMA President

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I am not anti drone either. As a matter of fact I think drone racing is cool. We had a good one last year at our field and had awesome turnout and the club made money. I don't own one and most likely never will, airplanes and heli's are enough for me.

That being said, the FAA didn't have it's Jack Boot on our throats until the drone stories started showing up everywhere. I'm very disappointed in the AMA leadership for throwing us under the bus and not pushing hard to make a greater distinction between drones and the rest us. The day I filled out the FAA form and it was titled "Register Your Drone" I was so pissed off I couldn't see straight.

porcia83

30cc
Guys please don't take my post as anti-drone. I'm not, I'm more anti-BS. If the vote had of been an ethical/honest vote of the majority, then ama would still have my total support, no matter the out come of the vote, but that's not how it went down. This isn't very ethical how the are running this election either. Honestly if the vote had been an ethical vote, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You've made two references to Williams "making money" off of drones, how specifically is he doing that? Tiano sells numerous items directly related to the hobby, as well as hosting events, should that be an issue as well? if one of the candidates owned a hobby store and sold goods and services benefiting the hobby, would they be precluded from running for office?

You've also made references to some ethical issues with Williams being on the nominating committee, and as such you couldn't vote for him. Why? The committee is made up of the EC and district VPs, all of which were elected by their AMA members. Why is there a problem with any of those people putting their hand up and agreeing to run for office? Isn't that a good thing. Would the alternative be to have someone else on the committee nominate them? There are 3 different people that were selected, it doesn't seem like a conspiracy. At some point, how many nominees can there be?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
the FAA didn't have it's Jack Boot on our throats until the drone stories started showing up everywhere

as I have been told by parties involved in the rules making committee, it was the insistence by the AMA that they did in fact represent the small UAS flyers (even though it was obvious that they didn't quite represent them), and the fact that the AMA tried to work around the FAA by lobbying Congress that made the FAA include us all into their rules making process. sort of like punishment for the AMA in return for trying to BS and go over the heads of the FAA.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
as I have been told by parties involved in the rules making committee, it was the insistence by the AMA that they did in fact represent the small UAS flyers (even though it was obvious that they didn't quite represent them), and the fact that the AMA tried to work around the FAA by lobbying Congress that made the FAA include us all into their rules making process. sort of like punishment for the AMA in return for trying to BS and go over the heads of the FAA.
Now that I have no problem at all believing. It's just like small town politics, if you tick someone off they go out of their way to make your life miserable.

Judge

70cc twin V2

Except we are not included in their rulemaking process. The FAA recognizes the exemption granted by Congress and this was their desire all along. The FAA really does not want anything to do with model airplanes, so they accepted Section 336 and codified it into the FARs as Part 101.41

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
RJ don't hold me to this, but I think they all are ama members, if multi gp was a sig of ama at the time of this, then they would all have to be members to participate. There is actually 2 drone sig's in ama now

You are correct. All pilots have to be AMA members to race. So for my misguided negative assumption I have to apologize.
Yet, I will remain steadfast we need a house cleaning to insure the MAJORITY is properly represented as it relates to the direction of the AMA and allocation of fiscal resources which were generated by tradional members. To me it appears rather than voting the wishes of the people they represent, some on the EC support the wishes of President Brown and the traditional members in those districts need to step up and vote in someone that will be the voice of the majority.
Also to be fair, anyone that will or has served is to be thanked for giving their time, yet if you loose sight of your responsibility to those that you represent it is time for a change.
In closing I would also offer if you do not meet your responsibility to vote you have, in my opinion, zero standing to cry foul when you disapprove of an action taken or policy issue.
Just my opinion

porcia83

30cc
You are correct. All pilots have to be AMA members to race. So for my misguided negative assumption I have to apologize.
Yet, I will remain steadfast we need a house cleaning to insure the MAJORITY is properly represented as it relates to the direction of the AMA and allocation of fiscal resources which were generated by tradional members. To me it appears rather than voting the wishes of the people they represent, some on the EC support the wishes of President Brown and the traditional members in those districts need to step up and vote in someone that will be the voice of the majority.
Also to be fair, anyone that will or has served is to be thanked for giving their time, yet if you loose sight of your responsibility to those that you represent it is time for a change.
In closing I would also offer if you do not meet your responsibility to vote you have, in my opinion, zero standing to cry foul when you disapprove of an action taken or policy issue.
Just my opinion

Folks always seem to want a housecleaning of the politicians when the votes don't go along the lines of what they want. It's incredibly presumptuous to assume that you know the motivations and reasons for the votes made by the district VPs, that by the way, were split at 50/50 before Brown voted the way he did. Certainly no mandate, or great conspiracy of VP's lining up to do Brown's bidding. Perhaps those VP's that represented half of the country voted the way their constituents wanted? And it doesn't appear that there was any great upheaval at the VP level, only one seems to have been replaced (D 8). And the guy who took over felt the same way about "drones" as the guy who went out...

Great closing point about voting though, everyone should take the opportunity to do so.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Folks always seem to want a housecleaning of the politicians when the votes don't go along the lines of what they want. It's incredibly presumptuous to assume that you know the motivations and reasons for the votes made by the district VPs, that by the way, were split at 50/50 before Brown voted the way he did. Certainly no mandate, or great conspiracy of VP's lining up to do Brown's bidding. Perhaps those VP's that represented half of the country voted the way their constituents wanted? And it doesn't appear that there was any great upheaval at the VP level, only one seems to have been replaced (D 8). And the guy who took over felt the same way about "drones" as the guy who went out...

Great closing point about voting though, everyone should take the opportunity to do so.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Having grown up in a family in politics I learned first hand any chairman, president, or director knows how the vote will go before putting something on the table. Politics 101.

Although I disagree with the direction President Brown took with regard to MR's, I would applaud him for knowing who would support him to achieve his goals on this or any project.

He or any person in his position has his inner circle of trusted confidants who are prepared before any major proposal is presented. This is business as usual in politics or business. With that said I am not spouting " a conspiracy was in play. " He was doing as any capable leader would do as a normal course of business. He and his supporters were prepared for the vote.

Last edited: