• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMPORTANT!!! Let the AMA know what you think!!!!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
E-mails are out from the AMA, if you have not gotten it yet you will. This just popped up in mine:

"The DOT is looking at the full spectrum of sUAS that would be subject to registration, and AMA agrees that registration may be appropriate at some level; however, before the process can be established, AMA believes that a threshold must be identified that will determine which platforms, what aircraft with what capabilities, will require registration and which will not.

AMA believes that traditional model aircraft, as well as the “toy-type” drones with minimal capability would fall below the threshold and not be subject to the registration process."

Well, how bout that, they may have actually heard what everyone has been saying!!

I have taken the liberty to email multiple AMA representatives, and I have received replies. I believe we will be ok.... You tell me what you think.

#1.
The AMA has spent millions of dollars over the past couple of years in an attempt to educate the public and the FAA . The rules set forth for LINE OF SITE use of all Radio Controled aircraft by the AMA whether fixed wing or multi rotor is the ONLY stipulated restrictions at this time.

No registration of any kind has been stipulated by the FAA at this time.

The FAA is still trying to determine how they are going to handle FPV and multi rotor craft purchased by the public that are flown without AMA affiliation. Here lies the problem in that most people who purchase these craft can easily fly them where ever they want and are given NO REFERENCE to wehre they can find out about rules that govern them.

There are rules established for the safe operation of ALL AIRCRAFT if a person is a member of AMA and abides by their rules.

Sorry I do not have a definitive answer to your question as to how AMA or the FAA can better govern the masses of people who now own easy to fly multi rotor aircraft.

Hopefully an answer will be forth coming but I can assure you that AMA is doing everything it can to KEEP OUR RIGHT to enjoy our hobby as it has been for many years.

Look forward to meeing you at an event sometime this next year. Keep me informed of anything in your area that I maight be able to attend.

#2.

Hi Cambize, it is my understanding that the DOT and/or the FAA are creating
a Task Force to develop a process for registering "drones". In reading AMA's
website AMA has been asked to join this Task Force (see copies of articles
below). Be assured AMA is very definitely fighting and representing in our
behalf. In addition AMA does make a distinction in the proper use of FPV and
as you are aware have very specific requirements for flying all RC airplanes
which is recognized by the FAA and does separate us from the actions of
others. These requirements do not support the inappropriate or unlawful use
of UAS's. Inappropriate and/or unlawful use of UAS's is really what AMA is
trying to help control and what is creating a lot of the problems we are
fighting. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions please let me
know...Thanks...Benny

Link to a news article I found yesterday:
http://www.cnet.com/news/us-departme...require-drone-
registration/#ftag=CADf328eec

Article just posted on AMA's website:

Media Release: AMA JOINS DOT TASK FORCE ON UAS REGISTRATION

MUNCIE, Ind. - Dave Mathewson, executive director of the Academy of Model
Aeronautics (AMA), today released the following statement that the
organization is joining the U.S. Department of Transportation's task force
to develop a streamlined registration process for unmanned aircraft systems
(UAS):

"AMA looks forward to working with government and private sector
stakeholders on a process for UAS registration. The term UAS has been
applied to a broad range of platforms from toys with limited capabilities to
large, sophisticated systems that weigh hundreds of pounds. Registration of
UAS that meet an appropriate threshold of weight, capability and other
safety-related characteristics makes sense, but it should not become a
prohibitive burden for recreational users who fly for fun and educational
purposes and who have operated harmoniously within our communities for
decades.

"The Academy has long used a similar system with its more than 180,000
members. AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA
number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, ensuring
operator accountability and promoting safety within the model aviation
community. AMA's nearly eighty years of experience demonstrates that a
voluntary, community-based approach is the best and most effective way to
manage recreational flyers.

"At the same time, education is essential for promoting safety to the
legions of new flyers taking to the skies. That's why AMA has been working
closely with the FAA and the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems
International (AUVSI) on the Know Before You Fly campaign. Education
programs like these will help ensure the safety of our airspace for all."

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:30 AM
To: cbbehrens@comcast.net
Subject: AMA and drones

Hello Benny,

How are you?

Hope all is well.

I have read where they are now stating that "drones" need to be registered
with the government. IS this true? Also, is the AMA fighting on behalf of
all of us, who fly model airplanes, at AMA chartered clubs, who only fly
model airplanes, so that we do not have to "register" our airplanes?
Additionally, why does the AMA not make a distinction between us, who fly
model airplanes at an AMA club, and fly with a remote control that has
limited range, and with line of sight, as opposed to those who are not AMA
members, who are flying these quad copters, out in the public, in streets,
over homes, in cities, etc,,, and who may be doing first person view, etc...

I believe it would be a good idea to make this distinction, so that the FAA
and other government agencies do not place regulations upon us, the
modelers.

I look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards

Cambize Shahrdar

#3.
Cambize,
I am well thank you. I know the AMA is working to address the recreational / hobby modeler. The distinction is commercial operations. No rules or operation regulations have been produced by the FAA to date.
I have copied Mark Johnston, D8 VP to add to my response. He works daily on this with our Executive Council at AMA.
Regards,
Bill

Cambize:

Nice to hear from you I will try to answer your questions but I do not have all of the answers.
First, there is not currently a requirement to "register" a drone. This was in the news yesterday and is a proposal by the Secretary of Transportation (he is the guy that the head of the FAA works for). He has convened a committee to make recommendations to him regarding how to control the drones that people are flying. As of now this is only a proposal but the committee has 30 days to give him recommendations. We will have to wait and see what happens with this.

Yes, the AMA is hard at work fighting for all of us that fly model airplanes but also for those that fly drones. I think that the AMA is trying to make a distinction between those that fly within the AMA rules and those that do not.

I do not have an answer regarding those that are not AMA members and fly drones in a dangerous manner. However, if the FAA proposed FAA rules are put into place then the FAA will have the "authority" to charge those who fly in an unsafe manner (mostly regarding drones) with a violation of a federal law and they will have the authority to fine them (monetary fines) and they can take them to court for these violation. My personal opinion (this is just mine) is that as soon as the FAA takes some of these drone pilots to court and starts fining them and putting them in jail some or many of these problems will go away.

As I mentioned above, I do not have all of the answers but I would like to suggest that you contact Mark Johnston. Mark is our AMA District 8 Vice President and he might have more insight into what the AMA is doing with regards to the drone issues. Mark's e-mail is: DistrictVIIIVP@modelaircraft.org

I hope my response has been helpful and I am sorry I could not answer all of your questions. You can also get more info at:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-drone-flight/
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...e-legislation/
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/

Sincerely,
Ed Valls

I am waiting on the latest opinions from the AMA and will share them with you ASAP. I don't believe registration is in place yet but it is probably coming soon. As I interpret the news I've seen it looks like drones are the primary concern. I know the AMA is deeply involved in trying to protect our hobby. I saw the FAA news conference on the news and noticed that the AMA attorney was standing right behind the FAA Director.

Stay tuned!

Jerry Walters
AVP- LA

Cambize , I'll try to cover your question as best I can . Firstly , as a long time modeler , I was very troubled when I began
to understand that the AMA was trying it's best to bring the " drone" segment of models under their wing . I felt from the start
that this would be a bag of worms . I do get emails from AMA covering this issue , but they are usually the same as those published
in MODEL AVIATION . You have heard on the media the general problems affecting our side of the hobby created by people unaware / uncaring
of the safety issues involved . As you know , the FAA has stepped in as expected . Our side of the hobby should stay about the same
as it has in the past , but---I believe that we may be forced to be more active in working with the local airport as far as the five
mile distance requirement . Nothing official yet .I don't believe that we will be required to register our models , ONLY QUAD COPTERS .
In general , I think things will go on as usual , Glad to hear from you , Stew

MUNCIE, Ind. - Dave Mathewson, executive director of the Academy of Model
Aeronautics (AMA), today released the following statement that the
organization is joining the U.S. Department of Transportation's task force
to develop a streamlined registration process for unmanned aircraft systems
(UAS):

"AMA looks forward to working with government and private sector
stakeholders on a process for UAS registration. The term UAS has been
applied to a broad range of platforms from toys with limited capabilities to
large, sophisticated systems that weigh hundreds of pounds. Registration of
UAS that meet an appropriate threshold of weight, capability and other
safety-related characteristics makes sense, but it should not become a
prohibitive burden for recreational users who fly for fun and educational
purposes and who have operated harmoniously within our communities for
decades.

"The Academy has long used a similar system with its more than 180,000
members. AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA
number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, ensuring
operator accountability and promoting safety within the model aviation
community. AMA's nearly eighty years of experience demonstrates that a
voluntary, community-based approach is the best and most effective way to
manage recreational flyers.

"At the same time, education is essential for promoting safety to the
legions of new flyers taking to the skies. That's why AMA has been working
closely with the FAA and the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems
International (AUVSI) on the Know Before You Fly campaign. Education
programs like these will help ensure the safety of our airspace for all."

& #8

Hello Cambize, Thanx for your question on 'drones'...

You asked: "I have read where they are
now stating that "drones" need to be registered with the government, is that true and is the AMA doing anything about it ?"
The US govt./FAA has not made a final decision on how they will approach the worrisome problem of regulating those individuals that fly 'drones', registration is not a certainty yet. Many drone operators are not members of the AMA and have no idea who or what the AMA is or represents but that is slowly changing. 'Drones' have been receiving some 'bad press' for several years now and as you may have read or heard in the newspapers & TV News. The Federal Aviation Administration being who they are have become very concerned about the aerial intrusions at very high altitudes endangering full scale aircraft traffic (Commercial and Gen Aviation). Historically, when our government makes a rule or regulation it's usually done very heavy handedly. No one seemed to have the foresight that these 'new contraptions' (drones ) would become as wildly popular or in widespread use as they have become, recent estimates that over 700,000 drones will be sold between now and Christmas Advances in micro technology have been accelerating at almost light speed and has opened a door to realms & dreams that were regarded as only science fiction yesterday. Those dreams, no matter how wild or seemingly impossible are now an affordable and very awesome reality for many. Have you seen the very small & amazing quad rotors that are now available ?? It's almost unimaginable. Can you imagine someone having to register or be required to have a 'special' pilot's license/permit or commercial pilot's license to fly 'drones' ?? The idea of requiring a special license or permit to fly model planes is overwhelming and seems so stupidly preposterous to many of us but the likelihood of that happening has become very real.

The AMA has been addressing the problem of 'drones' with those in the FAA and in Congressional committees, you can feel assured that the AMA is striving hard to save our hobby from heavy handed governmental regulations and our right to fly model planes. The AMA has established rules, parameters and regulations for flying models planes, but for the many who own and fly drones have no idea or knowledge of these regulations or of FAA rules & guidelines for flight and feel exempt from any sort of rules or regulations regarding flying their 'toys', no matter how large or small. It has become incumbent for members of the AMA to help educate others and solve some of these problems that threaten the very existence of model aviation as we now know it in this country. If you see or observe someone flying a drone in your neighborhood, or at the park, you should approach that person and ask if they are a member of the AMA or if they know of the AMA or FAA rules & regulations regarding flying model aircraft above certain altitudes or what the established distances are from a controlled airport for safe operation. We should also suggest they join an area AMA Chartered club. However, if that person flying the drone becomes angry or combative the AMA has suggested we turn and walk away. Of course, it should be the local hobby shop's initial responsibility to inform the buyer of drones the rules & regulations of operating those particular aircraft and help steer that person toward a local AMA Chartered RC club, this is being currently done in my area and seems to be working effectively.

The AMA has been working very vigorously for you and us all in attempts to solve the worrisome problem of drones. Do you know that some gun shops now sell small caliber firearms labeled as 'Anti-Drone' shotguns ?? Some cities & towns are now restricting drones from flying over another person's property. I purchased a shot gun labeled as an 'Anti-Drone firearm' several months ago, not for shooting down errant flying drones over my farm but for use as a truck gun for dispatching snakes & other nasty varmints, and home protection from intruders and finally for my young grand daughter(s) to learn how to safely use & shoot firearms.

Hopefully we won't have to register any of our model planes or drones with the government. If you have any suggestions or ideas on how to help solve or save our wonderful hobby from onerous governmental regulation, please submit them either to me or AMA Headquarters in Muncie, we can use all the help you and others have to offer.

BTW.....Cambize, have you contacted 'Stew' Moore, an AMA District VIII Associate Vice President in your area ?? Stew lives in Jacksonville, Texas and is a knowledgeable & wonderful person to meet and know. Also, there should be an AMA 'AVP' in the Shreveport area, you should contact or talk to them too. Again, I do appreciate you contacting me concerning the problem of drones and looming governmental regulations that might affect model aviation as we now know it. Hoping to see & meet you at an event soon--

Jim Marshall
AMA District VIII AVP
Deep So. Texas on the US-Mexico border
'Rio Grande Valley'
McAllen-Mission

Growing up during the "cold war" I had asked my Father "What is communist?". He simply replied..."Son, it is a form of Government thinking that tells and decides every thing that you have to do to live life" "Tells you where you got to work, live and play". "What you can and cannot have". "They use FEAR to force it upon the people". I replied "That stinks". He said "Yes it does son and that is why I fly B-52's with Nuclear weapons".

This "Nation of Fear" ( Communistic) thinking in our government is really causing "stink". What a God less Nation we have become. There....I said it.
You nailed it Dimes. You and I have a similar rearing in an Air Force family and these "Super Patriots" that are /were our fathers are spinning in there graves.
As I see it we stay with the AMA and see if some sort of sense comes from this with exemptions for fixed/rotary wing aircraft at AMA sanctioned fields or go a completely different route, private non-sanctioned fields and non AMA membership. Tough second option, could bring the ire of the feds on ones head, maybe, difficult to say however. Small fish tend to be ignored until they decide to swim close to the surface in the sunlight.
The disappointing thing about all of this was that the AMA inferred all along, concerning the FAA issue, that we were all going to be exempt from Fed regs. This came somewhat out of the blue to me and no warning from AMA, unless I missed something.

Last edited:

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
When I lived in MA it was the law to register my bicycle and my dog. I never did.

When I lived in the mid-west it was the law to register my handgun. I never did.

When I lived in Ohio it was the law to register my canoe. I never did.

If it becomes the law to register my planes, then I won't. There is no way to police or enforce that kind of law. Enacting laws that cannot (or will not) be enforced is the quickest way to make people lose respect for authority.

I've been a member of the AMA since 1984. I'll continue to be a member, but I really don't understand WTH they are doing.
So ... you do not believe in abiding by laws, rules and regulations?
In reality makes you no better than someone flying against all the AMA's rules and regulations.
so... my question to you is..... why are you an AMA member????
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.