• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

Alky6

150cc
Nice. Look forward to the build. I was lucky to get in on the final order with Paul and have a spare Mojo 65, Primo 60 and a few of his smaller planes. Currently also flying a Mojo 60 with the OS120AX and beer can pipe. Guzzles glow but at 6.5 lbs is too much fun to convert to gas.

Be careful installing those slotted plywood wing tube rings - they are very fragile and mine broke so I had to make new ones that were larger and egg shaped to fit in the wing.
I bought my current Mojo 65 built but never flown. It originally had a Saito motor on it (as pictured). I had to peal back the carbon fiber covering and enlarge the engine cutout. Started out with a DLE20 but it needed more power as it came just over 9 lbs. Now running a GT22 with a ported WWRC muffler swinging a 17x6 carbon falcon fiber prop. Big improvement. Someday I may look to lighten the landing gear and find a carbon fiber wing tube that will work. I think if you can come in under 8.5 lbs you will be happy with the plane so choose your wood and materials carefully. My Sbach 65 (also pictured) is just under 8.5 lbs rtf with DLE 20.View attachment 90183
View attachment 90181 View attachment 90182
My next build will be a Primo 60 which will use the left over DLE20.
Thanks for the info! I could only imagine how ballistic the mojo60 is with the 120 on it! Appreciate the heads up on the wing tube rings!!

Alky6

150cc
OK. Back to it. Birthday party is over and the honey-do list is a bit smaller...

I cut down the .505 tubes to length. Took the 1/2 x 3/4 maple and used a 1/2" ball end mill to cut down for a 2" engine mount opening. Figure shaping the maple will make for a better glue joint and reduce the amount of epoxy necessary. Will try to build it light as recommended by many. To make room for the rear carb, the front portion of the fuse core previously sandwiched between the maple engine beam supports needs to be removed.

IMG_3524.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
OK. Back to it. Birthday party is over and the honey-do list is a bit smaller...

I cut down the .505 tubes to length. Took the 1/2 x 3/4 maple and used a 1/2" ball end mill to cut down for a 2" engine mount opening. Figure shaping the maple will make for a better glue joint and reduce the amount of epoxy necessary. Will try to build it light as recommended by many. To make room for the rear carb, the front portion of the fuse core previously sandwiched between the maple engine beam supports needs to be removed.

View attachment 90441 View attachment 90442 View attachment 90443 View attachment 90445
Looking good nice to have the tools you need to do just the way you want it .

Alky6

150cc
Some progress....
Got the glass tubes glued (epoxy) to the fuse core and maple motor mount supports. Don't forget to cut open a couple slots in the bottom tube to run the servo wires to the tail. Glued one side of the light ply fuse doubler on with poly glue.

IMG_3552.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif
What the "H", "E" double tooth picks??? I didn't even know you were doing this. How awesome!! But I do have one eensy weensy questioonie. You just acquire them there dumb bells specifically for this project? Or maybe you use 'em to toss at people that "jack" your build thread? hee hee... build on. Bet it will be very cool when you are done.

Alky6

150cc
View attachment 91506 What the "H", "E" double tooth picks??? I didn't even know you were doing this. How awesome!! But I do have one eensy weensy questioonie. You just acquire them there dumb bells specifically for this project? Or maybe you use 'em to toss at people that "jack" your build thread? hee hee... build on. Bet it will be very cool when you are done.
HA! My wife said if I didn't start using my equipment sitting in the corner collecting dust I would be in BIG trouble. So I abliged! :sneaky:
This project will be fun. Hope to use it to learn "better rudder control!" Ha ha

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
HA! My wife said if I didn't start using my equipment sitting in the corner collecting dust I would be in BIG trouble. So I abliged! :sneaky:
This project will be fun. Hope to use it to learn "better rudder control!" Ha ha
Definitely would not be a good thing to disobey mama right? Rudder control? Isn't that when the plane is on its side, up is up and down is not good???? LOL...

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Kinda a bummer that SwannyHouse has shut down... I was hoping to do this exact build. I have a Mojo40 kit in a box to replace my worn out 40... but now that I'm phasing out my nitro to gas the 60 would have been the next machine. What a joy to build these models are!

Alky6

150cc
Kinda a bummer that SwannyHouse has shut down... I was hoping to do this exact build. I have a Mojo40 kit in a box to replace my worn out 40... but now that I'm phasing out my nitro to gas the 60 would have been the next machine. What a joy to build these models are!
Most definitely a bummer. Already built the 25. It met a tree and it didn't end well. There are plans and cut sheets for the mojo 65 on the probro site if you have the itch to scratch one out!