• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

My New 3D Extra 300 Prototype For Fly-Model

AKfreak

150cc
Things are moving Nice and Slow... Ha! I know this would not be an easy task, but I am making lots of headway. Anyway, yesterday I got my first set of drawings from the factory. The factory drawings were based on correspondence via a translator, and my initial sketches. Most of my design elements were followed to a T, but there is so much that goes onto building a new model from scratch, that many of the elements were not addressed.

If I was standing in the factory, it would be super easy to sit down with the CAD guy and sow him exactly what I am thinking. Many thousands of miles away, and not able to speak the language, things go a lot slower. So, when I received the initial drawings, I was excited, but had to make about 5 critical changes to realize my vision.

You see, I want to build a 3D monster that excels at extreme aerobatics. I also want to do it at a super low price point. I don't want to share every detail just yet, however Ill let you peak at the first revision drawing. Red is what I want changed, and it's needless to say that I am getting extremely excited!.

14480273310_5b511a20db_c.jpg

3dbandit

100cc
Things are moving Nice and Slow... Ha! I know this would not be an easy task, but I am making lots of headway. Anyway, yesterday I got my first set of drawings from the factory. The factory drawings were based on correspondence via a translator, and my initial sketches. Most of my design elements were followed to a T, but there is so much that goes onto building a new model from scratch, that many of the elements were not addressed.

If I was standing in the factory, it would be super easy to sit down with the CAD guy and sow him exactly what I am thinking. Many thousands of miles away, and not able to speak the language, things go a lot slower. So, when I received the initial drawings, I was excited, but had to make about 5 critical changes to realize my vision.

You see, I want to build a 3D monster that excels at extreme aerobatics. I also want to do it at a super low price point. I don't want to share every detail just yet, however Ill let you peak at the first revision drawing. Red is what I want changed, and it's needless to say that I am getting extremely excited!.

14480273310_5b511a20db_c.jpg

I'd be concerned that low pricing would equate to poor quality. Most manufacturers have been raising their prices, quality, and airframe longevity with little effect on sales numbers(or at least that's how it appears)
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] , what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'd be concerned that low pricing would equate to poor quality. Most manufacturers have been raising their prices, quality, and airframe longevity with little effect on sales numbers(or at least that's how it appears)
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] , what do you think?

I agree to a certain extent. For any new business or product to gain a foothold in a saturated marketplace, they've gotta give a
customer a reason to buy.
If the price point is similar to existing products, and the brand is unknown, what's the motivation for someone to give them a try?
After the initial batch is complete, and the model proves to be successful, pricing should follow market trends.

AKfreak

150cc
When you see this baby fly, then see the price, it will be a no brainier. As to the foot hold, Fly-Model is a huge company, Huge I say ;). They make tons and tons of models already, they just haven't ever offered a BA 3D plane that is capable of Extreme Aerobatics. In the scheme of things, the numbers of 3D style planes they sell is relatively small compared to the sport planes, war birds, and jets they currently sell.

I am just so happy to get a chance to work directly with them to bring a plane that I hope will compete against some of the better well known offerings from the bigs. One reason it will cost much less is they make their own covering. It isn't Oracote, UltraCote, MonoKote, ect.
The good news is the distributor carries the FM factory covering and is mostly in stock, some of the exotic colors have to be orders. The bright green on my extra took 2 weeks to come to me directly from China and was no charge.

Also when I agreed to work with them, it was agreed that they would stock replacement parts. Guys this is just the beginning for me and I am excited. I want this hobby to be affordable to everyone. I don't think planes should cost so much. $500+ for a 75"ish plane is way to much in my opinion. I think a 75"is plane should be less than $300 shipped to your door. I for one do not associate price to quality.

You see, I am a Levi's man, if you pay $500 for True Religion jeans that's great for you. I for one think Levi's are great, to me the look and feel is as good as the best jeans on the market. I even like some Faded Glory and Dickies clothes. Hey, buts that's me ;).

Stay tuned!

AKfreak

150cc
The Prototype has not been forgotten, it's just not at the top of the list of things that must be done ASAP. I didn't realize how big Fly-Model really is, lets just say their Huge. Below are some images of the factory. Remember FM makes Gliders,Jets, Sport, Aerobatic and War Birds too. I wold love to go to the factory for about 6 months building and flying new models until they are perfect.

14893376986_2e436e2cda_b.jpg

14916362835_c02990d5d8_b.jpg

Can you say, "Full Load"

14729700229_4f1b2dc777_b.jpg

Balsa, Balsa, Balsa

14729795137_dc7e8a930e_b.jpg

14729699180_36d968abf3_b.jpg

14916362695_9c652a9c06_b.jpg

14729699060_6717657c14_b.jpg

14729700129_60c9ab5eed_b.jpg

14916362795_03b5408edd_b.jpg

14729756528_9e0f58f569_b.jpg

14916005942_6a7939a8bb_b.jpg

14729699470_6a99ff34d6_b.jpg

14916005852_2c760aba6d_b.jpg

14729756708_6a99ff34d6_b.jpg

AKfreak

150cc
I will be the first to say that this process has been ultra slow. However I am beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel. This morning at 6:35am (PST) I got information that my last and final drawing has been completed, reviewed and is now ready for build.

The wing span is. 77" and the fuselage length is 84" the total wing has a total of 1110 sq inches.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I will be the first to say that this process has been ultra slow. However I am beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel. This morning at 6:35am (PST) I got information that my last and final drawing has been completed, reviewed and is now ready for build.

The wing span is. 77" and the fuselage length is 84" the total wing has a total of 1110 sq inches.

40cc?

AKfreak

150cc
It's a 35cc that will run a 40cc no problem. Notice the tail length? This will cause the plane to roll more axial. Notice how I stretched the nose so the motor weight will help to balance the long tail.

When you see the vertical, you'll see I made it tall. The plane has a ton of features, but I'll saved the complete rundown until I get the proto and see what works and what doesn't.

I cant wait to see thus plane in front of me.