• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

My New 3D Extra 300 Prototype For Fly-Model

AKfreak

150cc
Yeah, we will build 2-3 prototypes, then we will fly them to see how the plane handles based on our vsion. If the plane isn't perfect, we will keep making changes until it is. It cant wing rock, it must not drop a wing and stall unpredictably. it must not couple in Knife edge. It much roll in a axial way. Snaps cant be lazy, ect ect. All in all it must feel locked in and fly well.

Obviously, this plane wont tumble like a short coupled plane, however it will roll like a beast. It has a huge elevator with 90 degrees of throw if you want it. The rudder throws 50+ each way, and the ailerons can throw 65-70 degrees.

I think you will find too much aileron leads to undesirable traits like radically slowing the model. I got stupid throws on a H9 katana and it was not successful. Great to see a different direction being tried.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
Sounds like my king of plane! With that said, I think the number is anything past 38 degrees on the ailerons acts as airbrakes, but that's what experimentation with the prototypes are for!

AKfreak

150cc
Here is a the side and top view of my final design. I couldn't bring myself to put up the original blueprint with all the measurements so I traced it and colored in the key areas.

15272986332_ae2488fc57_b.jpg

Sounds like my king of plane! With that said, I think the number is anything past 38 degrees on the ailerons acts as airbrakes, but that's what experimentation with the prototypes are for!

I agree to an extent that too much hurts regular flight performance. If one prefers much less throw, just set it up with less throws, that is an easy fix. However in post stall, or extreme 3D radical throws can be a benefit. Crankshafts like a ton of throw for example. Remember this is not an IMAC place that does 3D, this is a 3D first plane, that does IMAC.

IMO, its way better to be able to achieve ridiculous throws if you want them, then want them and not be able to achieve them. Lastly, this ain't no Katana, look at that wing, it's way way different. I studied so may airfoils and designs of so many aerobatic planes, this is what I came up with. This is the wing I will test and try to develop.

Like I said before, this has been a long time coming, hundreds of hours of effort to get to this stage, and we still have a long way to go. The fuselage shape Incorporates no less that 20 design elements that I felt need to be implemented. Just looking at it, it might not look like much, but I cant wait to fly it.

I cant tell you how good it feels to have a vision, then develop it, partnering with many friends picking their brains along the way. Then to see it finally become a reality, it feels so good, and I am just getting started.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here is a the side and top view of my final design. I couldn't bring myself to put up the original blueprint with all the measurements so I traced it and colored in the key areas.

I agree to an extent that too much hurts regular flight performance. If one prefers much less throw, just set it up with less throws, that is an easy fix. However in post stall, or extreme 3D radical throws can be a benefit. Crankshafts like a ton of throw for example. Remember this is not an IMAC place that does 3D, this is a 3D first plane, that does IMAC.

IMO, its way better to be able to achieve ridiculous throws if you want them, then want them and not be able to achieve them. Lastly, this ain't no Katana, look at that wing, it's way way different. I studied so may airfoils and designs of so many aerobatic planes, this is what I came up with. This is the wing I will test and try to develop.

Like I said before, this has been a long time coming, hundreds of hours of effort to get to this stage, and we still have a long way to go. The fuselage shape Incorporates no less that 20 design elements that I felt need to be implemented. Just looking at it, it might not look like much, but I cant wait to fly it.

I cant tell you how good it feels to have a vision, then develop it, partnering with many friends picking their brains along the way. Then to see it finally become a reality, it feels so good, and I am just getting started.

With that much elevator to stab ratio, are you worried about flutter at high speed?

jmart95

70cc twin V2

Couldnt agree with you more! One more thing, for the 65 inch version, what size servo are the slots designed for? Right now im kinda dissappointed that i bought a 57, because im spending way too much money on servos(couldve had perfectly set up 30cc for the same price), most micros(or is it minis, always get them mixed up) just cant take the abuse that the airframe is more than capable of. Would be nice to have standard servos, where there are more options and more grunt. Just my two sents though :)

AKfreak

150cc
With that much elevator to stab ratio, are you worried about flutter at high speed?

No.. not at all. Extreme flight has Insane control surfaces and Zero flutter problems. One will have to invest in good servos to avoid Blow back. We may need dual servos in the ailerons, only time will tell. Remember this is 100% experimental. :)

AKfreak

150cc
Couldnt agree with you more! One more thing, for the 65 inch version, what size servo are the slots designed for? Right now im kinda dissappointed that i bought a 57, because im spending way too much money on servos(couldve had perfectly set up 30cc for the same price), most micros(or is it minis, always get them mixed up) just cant take the abuse that the airframe is more than capable of. Would be nice to have standard servos, where there are more options and more grunt. Just my two sents though :)
To keep the weight down Mini servos are what it will use most likely. They are spend-y, Heck the MKS ones I used in my 64" MXS were $105 each.