• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC new to me dalton 260/300, just want to fly it!!!

Bunky F. Knuckle;14288 wrote: I find that some (most) online calculators are very inaccurate. Best thing to do is to fly each of the props you have, and choose the one that suits your flying style best.

ECalc is about as accurate is one can get. But it is for Electric flight.

You'll find out that the DA150 will make around 85# of thrust. The old style 3W 150 on PeFa canisters made around 93# with a 30x12 Fuchs 3 blade.

WOW!! 85 pounds of thrust with that engine would be awesome!!!! i will get out my fish scale and see what it pulls!!

i will definitely fly it with different props as well, and see what happens!!!

Just sit back and think about it a little......

How much fun would you have with an airplane that has 1:1 power to weight ratio?? Probably some, but not to the full "fun meter" pegging. 61# of thrust on a 37# airframe would be fun. But wouldnt 80# of thrust be even.more fun on the same airframe??

Short story...... Frank Noll was a local resident in.Dayton,OH many moons ago. He let me hold his Carden Edge 540 40% for a run up. I kneel down next to it, and grab a wing panel, and wrap my other arm around the turtle deck. He runs it up and I feel the airplane trying to drag my 125# butt across the field. He throttles back, I look back at him and he is just grinnin like a jackass eatin bryars!! I just shake my head...... Thats when he said, "thats what 85-90# of thrust will do". This of course, was about 13 years ago.

His airplane was a little heavier than yours, maybe 3#.....

Even if you get 70# on your fish scale, that is much better than 61# calculated......

Bunky F. Knuckle;14390 wrote: Just sit back and think about it a little......

How much fun would you have with an airplane that has 1:1 power to weight ratio?? Probably some, but not to the full "fun meter" pegging. 61# of thrust on a 37# airframe would be fun. But wouldnt 80# of thrust be even.more fun on the same airframe??

Short story...... Frank Noll was a local resident in.Dayton,OH many moons ago. He let me hold his Carden Edge 540 40% for a run up. I kneel down next to it, and grab a wing panel, and wrap my other arm around the turtle deck. He runs it up and I feel the airplane trying to drag my 125# butt across the field. He throttles back, I look back at him and he is just grinnin like a jackass eatin bryars!! I just shake my head...... Thats when he said, "thats what 85-90# of thrust will do". This of course, was about 13 years ago.

His airplane was a little heavier than yours, maybe 3#.....

Even if you get 70# on your fish scale, that is much better than 61# calculated......

oh yes!!! that would be awesome!!!

some more interesting information for you all!!!

did this today when i got home.

i had ordered a Delro 3 blade prop, and it arrived today. i also have a Mejzlik 29 x 12N for my DA 170. yesterday, i went to the LHS and purchased two brass tubes that were in 5.2 mm and 5.7 mm OD range.

the brass tube was cut down to 6 pieces that fit in the prop hub. but now i can use the 5mm bolts over the 6 mm bolts on the 170.

150L, brand new. ambient temp is 92 degrees. large pro-flow canisters... 2 new props i tested..

Mejzlik 3 blade 29 x 12 N == 6000 rpm, very quick spool up

Delro 3 blade 28 x 12.5 == 5500 rpm, not as fast as the Mejzlik 3 blade, but spool up faster than the 2 blade 30 x 13W falcon.

14560=8306-IMG_6065.jpg
14560=8306-IMG_6065.jpg

hey Bunky, i know this is not accurate, but using that calculator, the Mejzlik 3 blade at 6000 rpm would give me 82 pounds of thrust!!! Woo Hoo!!!

the delro prop at 5550 rpm will only be 65 pounds!!!

Good news for me!! this airplane is almost ready for a maiden. the aileron servos are installed. all i have to do now is check the CG balance and then install the lipo batteries.

I remember posting on FB saying that plane under your bench looked like Jonas Pharr's old Dalton. You asked me "Who's Jonas?" That is definitely his old Dalton. It was built in '06 but put aside as a backup in 2008 when he completed a new Dalton 300. Unfortunately, that one went through the pine trees at Joe Nall 2008. He pulled this one back out and converted it to the 300 canopy. Shortly after, he just quit flying. It sat in his shop. His shop was a single car garage walled off from a three car garage. He had AC in it and kept the temps comfortable when working in it. Not sure how often he's been in his shop since he quit flying, but it's better than being in an actual storage building or shed. I considered buying it when I bought a brand new Dalton 300 kit from him, but wouldn't have been able to spring for another engine at the time. I have flown this plane several times. Jonas is an excellent builder and was kicking ass in the advanced class with this plane back then. He used TitebondII on everything wood to wood and Elmers Ultimate poly glue on all the carbon to foam and balsa sheeting. I can assure you, if you set your servos/arms/radio up right, this will be an IMAC nightmare to everyone competing with you. Great score Cam!

It is like the meeting I had last nite with the Univ of Dayton about their Design, Build, Fly group. A group of college students, entering any engineering field. Basically, they design the airplane, build it, and I fly it. 99% of the time, their airplanes turn up tail heavy. And always last minute, we test fly 2 days before we leave for the event. They calculate everything to the TEE, and they always say that it calculated that it balances here. Well, in the real world, it balances here, and it shows that it is tail heavy.

Basically, I don't trust calculations. There are engineers in factorys all over the world, and then there are maintenance guys, much like myself, who re-engineer the engineers work, just to make it work right. :) Sorry to all who are Mechanical Engineers here......

Bunky F. Knuckle;14887 wrote: It is like the meeting I had last nite with the Univ of Dayton about their Design, Build, Fly group. A group of college students, entering any engineering field. Basically, they design the airplane, build it, and I fly it. 99% of the time, their airplanes turn up tail heavy. And always last minute, we test fly 2 days before we leave for the event. They calculate everything to the TEE, and they always say that it calculated that it balances here. Well, in the real world, it balances here, and it shows that it is tail heavy.

Basically, I don't trust calculations. There are engineers in factorys all over the world, and then there are maintenance guys, much like myself, who re-engineer the engineers work, just to make it work right. :) Sorry to all who are Mechanical Engineers here......

i believe tony says 4.25" aft of the leading edge on the wing tip is the CG point.

i will use that for the 1st flight.

then i will do my tests during flight to see where i am.

on an IMAC airframe, do you like for the inverted climb at 45 degrees for the airplane to be "neutral". meaning, no arc towards canopy or gear, or slightly nose heavy(arc towards canopy)?