• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC new to me dalton 260/300, just want to fly it!!!

just did a cg test, and it is not good!!

this airplane before had a 3W 157. which,from my research, not that i have ever owned one, weighs over 9 pounds. i put in a 150L, which weighs 7.25 pounds or so.

on the prior set up, the radio batteries were way back, like 6 inches behind the start of the turtleneck.

when i did my CG check at 4.25" behind LE at wing tip, it was way tail heavy. i moved my two lipo batteries all the way forward. still tail heavy.

my CG point is at about 5.25" back from LE at tip with the fuel tank empty.

I never weighed my 157's. Don't have a scale to weigh them on.

What sucks is, you may have to move the rudder servos FWD. Or pull them out and place 5 oz just under the pilot and see what the CG does. My firewall was drilled for both engines, DA/3W 150 and 3W 157/170. :)

Or, instead of adding dead weight, make it useful and order some 2S2P Rx packs of your flavor, or heavier packs in general.

I had to move my engine forward about 1" plus a pound of weight bolted to the FW to get my 300 MEL to balance at the back of the CG range.

Dirt Doctor;15084 wrote: I had to move my engine forward about 1" plus a pound of weight bolted to the FW to get my 300 MEL to balance at the back of the CG range.

Bobby, where are your batteries located? and does it fly neutral when you do the inverted 45 degree climb?

Bunky F. Knuckle;15143 wrote: Keep this in mind as well. It takes 3oz on the nose to correct 1oz on the tail.

Bunky, I have a 6 ounce prop washer from Vern at WRE

Have you ever used one before?

They are two 5200mah Li-ion Fromecos for the flight pack and one 2600 mah Li-ion Fromeco for the ignition. The ignition battery is on top of the motor box and the other two are on the inside of the motor box strapped to both sides (one on each side) as far forward as I could get them. I had Fromeco put an extra Deans plug/longer wire on each battery so I could charge each one directly at the battery.

It flies just about neutral. I think I just breath or think about pushing down elevator and that is all it takes.

It is fat and very stable in high wind. No problem landing in a 20 mph headwind!

orthobird;15152 wrote: Bunky, I have a 6 ounce prop washer from Vern at WRE

Have you ever used one before?

Never have had the need for one. I have always used heavier engines. That way, I know I will have to shift a few things around for CG.

I bet if you got your CG at 4.75" it would be ok for a maiden flight.

A lighter airplane flies nice, but will get bounced around in wind moreso than one that is 4# heavier. Yes, there is such a thing as too light. Ive flown a 24# Von Extra (Dalton) 260 35% once, and it was actually a handful. It was windier that day, but it flew great, despite 20 mph cross wind.

no maiden yet!! i did try the Mejzlik 30 x 12 LF, and i got 5900 rpm with a slow spool up. i think i will break this motor in with the 3 blade 29 x 12N. this is the one that got me 6000 rpm. this prop also weighs more, giving me more nose weight. it weighs 6 ounces more than the 30 x 12 LF.