• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

TonyHallo

150cc
The thing about the aluminum coat is that you can sand the blemishes out. The Poly Brush is like rubber when dry and impossible to sand while the silver Poly Spray sands nice. Once the silver is on you get to see what the final product will look like and made any corrections. I put a coat on and then sanded where there were problems, the just spot torched up those areas. When you add the pinking tape that makes a whole lot of nooks and crannies, the silver coat shows the defects better.
If i were worried about the final weight I would consider consider Monokote, if you want a scale finish then you have be willing to accept some additional weight. I never used the Poly Tone paint, you may be able to spray a coat on and sand out the blemishes then put on a final color coat.
A friend had a model finished with it and I didn't care for it.

TonyHallo

150cc
Here are a few photos of the silver coat after sanding.
03-21-09 010.jpg
03-21-09 012.jpg
03-21-09 021.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Made it to the field this morning with the Champ. As you may recall I had a dead stick a year ago June after making a slight low speed needle adjustment. First task test run engine and adjust carb. Engine started after twenty flips or so on the choke. After warm up the engine had a slight hesitation when advancing the throttle from idle, opened the low about 1/8 turn and all was good. Should have that check last year after I made the adjustment!
Next order of business was to range check the new radio installation. I had moved all the receivers around during the recovering. With the plane running on the water logged field the check resulted 93 paces when the 35db RSSI alarm went off, shutting down the resulted in no change in the RSSI, I'm happy. I did a quick check, 93 paces at 3' and 1/30 power equals about 2 1/2 km range, sounds good.
Start to put the wings on and the rain came. Next time out I hope to fly it.
I was running the engine with the top of the cowl off to adjust the carb, I could see small traces of oil going into the catch bottle but none coming out, of course this was a very limited run.
Friends and family coming over for a cook out so the day ended early, it's Miller time!.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The thing about the aluminum coat is that you can sand the blemishes out. The Poly Brush is like rubber when dry and impossible to sand while the silver Poly Spray sands nice. Once the silver is on you get to see what the final product will look like and made any corrections. I put a coat on and then sanded where there were problems, the just spot torched up those areas. When you add the pinking tape that makes a whole lot of nooks and crannies, the silver coat shows the defects better.
If i were worried about the final weight I would consider consider Monokote, if you want a scale finish then you have be willing to accept some additional weight. I never used the Poly Tone paint, you may be able to spray a coat on and sand out the blemishes then put on a final color coat.
A friend had a model finished with it and I didn't care for it.
Thanks for help. I have never used the aluminum coat, I will give it some serious thought for the Taylor craft. I have only painted with Sig dope and Stits poly brush system. It was huge improvement from sig dope to Stits. I have only used Stits polyTone paint so I nothing to compare to,

TonyHallo

150cc
Flew the Champ at "Warbirds and Classics Over Alliance" today. Put the plane together and started BS'ing. Watched several folks fly. Found a willing spotter and fired up the Champ. Taxied out, took off and gained attitude, as the plane approached the down wind leg it quit. Completed a beautiful dead stick landing. Pondered for a while and decided to take top of the cowl off. As i began removing the screws I noticed the fuel filler and realize I never fueled it up! Put the flew screws back in, filled it up and flew.
They awarded 6 different awards, Pilots Choice, Peoples Choice, and Best flight in class. The Champ brought home the "Classic Peoples Choice Best Of Show" award!
IMG_2747 (2).jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Flew the Champ at "Warbirds and Classics Over Alliance" today. Put the plane together and started BS'ing. Watched several folks fly. Found a willing spotter and fired up the Champ. Taxied out, took off and gained attitude, as the plane approached the down wind leg it quit. Completed a beautiful dead stick landing. Pondered for a while and decided to take top of the cowl off. As i began removing the screws I noticed the fuel filler and realize I never fueled it up! Put the flew screws back in, filled it up and flew.
They awarded 6 different awards, Pilots Choice, Peoples Choice, and Best flight in class. The Champ brought home the "Classic Peoples Choice Best Of Show" award!
View attachment 121562
Very cool!!